Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up-thread I originally called that a "waterfall" because that's what the Tesla Service Manager and the Ranger called it when they installed the CF version for me. There's also a reference in the Tesla shop here.

I promise to get back on thread, but...
waterfall |ˈwôtərˌfôl, ˈwä-|
noun
a cascade of water falling from a height, formed when a river or stream flows over a precipice or steep incline.

I didn't see any other definitions. If you do a google image search, you get this:
e7ce94a432e1a21b4e4bcee4ff3e4e99.jpg

wikipedia was no help either.

I'm glad we put this to rest. :wink:

I promise to get back on thread, but...
waterfall |ˈwôtərˌfôl, ˈwä-|
noun
a cascade of water falling from a height, formed when a river or stream flows over a precipice or steep incline.

I didn't see any other definitions. If you do a google image search, you get this:
View attachment 5602
wikipedia was no help either.

I'm glad we put this to rest. :wink:

It is also a drinking game where everyone at the table starts drinking until the person on their right stops drinking. With a designated person who starts the stopping of the drinking.

Installed, functional and happy - In the process of installationI learned that the PIN lock on the SIM needs to be off in order for the OVMS car-module to connect to GPS and GPRS. It is probably stated somewhere in the manual but I for one missed it and struggled a little.

Once installed I am very happy - Thank you very much all that contributed !

The module worked fine for about one month. 48 hours ago it stopped working. No connection with the App. On the module the red light is slowly blinking. The green light is off.

Any ideas?

I've replied by eMail. I had something similar happen to mine after six months - turned out the SIM card needed a recharge ;-(

Can you check the Lights page in the manual and let me know which light pattern you are seeing. You can get a flashing red light during initialization, but that should either go red/green alternate or solid-red - and they have different meaning.

Regards, Mark.

Thank you for the help Mark! I t was not the SIM card. I checked that. I also tried to disconnect and reconnect, in vain.
But then I got the diagnostic procedure from Mark which involves disconnecting some connectors inside the box and look at the light show. Everythinh seemed to work as it should and when I reconnected everything, it worked again!
Some loose connector? My magic hands?
All I know is that I had my stretching lesson for this week!

But then I got the diagnostic procedure from Mark which involves disconnecting some connectors inside the box and look at the light show. Everythinh seemed to work as it should and when I reconnected everything, it worked again!
Some loose connector? My magic hands?
All I know is that I had my stretching lesson for this week!

Sounds like one if the connectors was loose. Great to hear it is working for you again.

I'm really frustrated... spent all day trying to get my unit to work.
I can't even get it to reply to the REGISTER OVMS command.

Sim is good - put it in my phone and that phone can receive and send SMS messages just fine.

Put it in the OVMS unit, plug it into car, antenna mounted. OVMS boots exactly as it's supposed to - RED light comes on, blinks.... about 30 seconds later GREEN light is blinking... then a minute later the Green goes solid on. Then it's RED off, GREEN on, as specified in the manual.
Send it "REGISTER OVMS" (all caps), and nothing. never replies. unplugged unit, plugged it back in, waited for proper boot sequence, back to no-RED, solid-GREEN. send it command again... nothing.

Did I miss some step or am i doing something wrong?!

Thanks to anyone who can help... I've posted over at the OVMS board and PM'd Mark but not heard anything and I'm about at my limit here. If anyone has any ideas to help me I'd really appreciate it. wife about to kill me for spending an entire day on this. :crying:

Thanks to anyone who can help... I've posted over at the OVMS board and PM'd Mark but not heard anything and I'm about at my limit here. If anyone has any ideas to help me I'd really appreciate it. wife about to kill me for spending an entire day on this. :crying:

Josh,

Time difference hitting you here.

I've got your PM, and will reply by eMail.

If your unit is go through flashing red then alternating red-green, and ending up solid green then the GSM stuff should be ok. A few things to check:

1] Make sure you haven't got PIN lock on your SIM.
2] Make sure "REGISTER OVMS" is in capitals (the password in particular is case sensitive) and has no spaces before or after it.
3] Try another phone.

Sometimes, we've seen cellular providers surround SMS messages with strange characters (advertising, and other purposes) and that causes problems as the command can't be found (hence my suggestion to try another phone).

Anyway, I'll follow up by eMail.

Regards, Mark.

A potential mistake to avoid:

I believe that, during my installation, I noticeably pinched the antenna cable (I'm pretty sure the cable didn't come that way; some strands of the antenna wire are visible in the pinched area). I'm not sure if I pinched it with the waterfall or when putting the sill back in, when I had the sill at an angle to get it under the waterfall (I didn't loosen the waterfall at all during the install and that might have contributed significantly to me pinching it). I noticed it when I took the sill off a second time since I'd decided to move the cable from between the sill's Velcro pads (i.e., top surface of the sill) to along the side of the sill, since it seemed like the sill might be pressing down on the length of the cable after installed, when I pressed down hard on the sill.

It appears to still get reasonable levels: it works and I have seen the level indicated by the app vary from as high as -51dBm (or maybe it was -55dBm), down to -85dBm.

From my understanding, the important bit of the antenna is the central core. The outer shielding is just for RF shielding, but no signal goes through it. But, then again, I'm no RF engineer...

P.S. If we keep working at it, we'll get everyone calling that bit of the car the 'waterfall' ;-)

My OVMS app fails to connect to my car most times until a workaround is executed:

Has anyone, once your OVMS works with the app (iPhone in my case), had this issue?: most of the time I go into the OVMS app, with it set to my car, the antenna image comes up blinking and doesn't go to "Live", even after a few minutes, but if I send an invalid SMS (i.e., not a valid command) to the module and go back into the app, a few seconds after the alert for the invalid SMS shows up the antenna goes to "Live" and the app works fully while it's up. Note: sending a valid SMS command, like STATS doesn't seem to help and the antenna keeps blinking.

I'm guessing it's something odd with my carrier.
Even with the extra step of sending an SMS before starting the OVMS app, the OVMS is a really cool tool/toy.

Last edited:
My OVMS app fails to connect to my car most times without a workaround:

Has anyone, once your OVMS works with the app (iPhone in my case), had this issue?: most of the time I go into the OVMS app, with it set to my car, the antenna image comes up blinking and doesn't go to "Live", even after a few minutes, but if I send an invalid SMS (i.e., not a valid command) to the module and go back into the app, a few seconds after the alert for the invalid SMS shows up the antenna goes to "Live" and the app works fully while it's up. Note: sending a valid SMS command, like STATS doesn't seem to help and the antenna keeps blinking.

I'm guessing it's something odd with my carrier.
Even with the extra step of sending an SMS before starting the OVMS app, the OVMS is a really cool tool/toy.

Happy to diagnose with you. If you PM me you email I can follow up directly,

When you say blinking antenna, do you get a time under it, and if so what time? Could be an issue with server connection from the App as well. What cellular provider do you use for your phone and your car, and what country are you in? Finally, what is your vehicleid?

I'm up and running. Installation was easy; I placed the antenna on the back window. Thanks to NigelM for recommending the App, DSM363 for what to do at AT&T (the guys at AT&T were more excited than I was about the project), and markwj and OVMS team for creating the device and email assistance last night.

I have mine up and running. Many thanks to Bennett for his invaluable assistance. Two issues. 1. there are long periods of time when SMS works but the iPhone app won't connect--to either the demo car or my car. 2. There are long periods of time when everything works fine with one curiosity--the temperatures are all in centigrade, yet the tire pressures in in PSI and distance on the battery is in miles. Any way to change the temperatures to degrees Fahrenheit?

1. there are long periods of time when SMS works but the iPhone app won't connect--to either the demo car or my car.

If you are getting a flashing gray antenna icon, that means the connection can't be made to the server. It appears to be some random networking issue, and happens less on wifi than 3G. We've seen this occasionally, and are still trying to track down the cause. In most cases, if you just HOME to quite the App then restart it, it is fine.

If you are getting a flashing green/red icon, particularly with a time > 20 minutes, then the car is not connected to the server.

2. There are long periods of time when everything works fine with one curiosity--the temperatures are all in centigrade, yet the tire pressures in in PSI and distance on the battery is in miles. Any way to change the temperatures to degrees Fahrenheit?

Current version of the iPhone App shows everything in celcius. This has already been changed in the development version, and the next release to the App store will auto-convert temperatures to fahrenheit if the car is set to Imperial (Miles).

Thanks. I decided to try the CAN write function today and went into the iPhone app, the 'i' icon at the bottom right corner of the screen, and turned on the CAN write function. I changed the Feature page area #15 from '1' to '0' also. I then tried to lock the car and unlock it and to turn off the charging--no go. I also tried texting FEATURE 15 1 followed by texting RESET and that didn't work either. Any suggestions to get OVMS to obey commands?