Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D (non-Ludicrous) performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As discussed in some other threads, Tesla has a bunch of inventory Model S P100Ds for sale with Ludicrous disabled in order to price them $10K cheaper. Personally, moving from a 2012 P85 to a P100D is going to be a big difference already, so giving up the 0.3 - 0.4 second difference to 60 is fine. I assume I may also be giving up a little bit of passing speed as well - can anyone verify that?

Anyway, my question, does anyone know exactly what the 0-60 spec is for a P100D without Ludicrous mode? I asked the sales advisor, and he thought it was 2.9 sec. I can't find it published or talked about anywhere.

What about the Easter Egg that gets the P100D from 2.5 to 2.4? Would that have any effect outside of Ludicrous Mode?

Also, would that mean the car should have an Insane button instead, or nothing? I have not seen the car yet, supposedly this weekend, so just wondering if anyone else already has one without Ludicrous. I could have sworn there was a small amount of time right after the P100D came out where Ludicrous Mode was an option, then it was changed so they all included it (until now of course).

Reactions: DIL
I just purchased a P100D inventory car and had the ludicrous mode disabled. The screen now shows insane mode as the option..I do not know the speed specs either, but seem to recall discussions of 0-60 in the 2.8 to 2.9 range in some Motor Trend tests.

Edit: I also had them remove the FSD option. With the delays re the AP 2.0 software it's looking like that might have been the correct decision.

Reactions: Ormond
Mine is not an exact comparative AltPowr, but my family has a 2014 Model S P85D (w/o Ludicrous), and a 2015 Model S P90D

To me, the extra passing power of Ludicrous is well worth it.

Just depends on your driving habits and frequency. 90% of my driving is around town and off the Interstate or turnpike. I never felt a lack of passing power in my 2013 P85. I just didn't feel the need to spend $10k for that additional feature.

I fully understand and respect other opinions to the contrary.

I just purchased a P100D inventory car and had the ludicrous mode disabled. The screen now shows insane mode as the option..I do not know the speed specs either, but seem to recall discussions of 0-60 in the 2.8 to 2.9 range in some Motor Trend tests.

Edit: I also had them remove the FSD option. With the delays re the AP 2.0 software it's looking like that might have been the correct decision.

Thanks for the info, that verifies what I was thinking. I had them add AutoPilot to the car, but not FSD.

To me, the extra passing power of Ludicrous is well worth it.

Hmm, that's what I'm more concerned with as opposed to the 0-60. I wish Tesla was a bit more organized and laid out EXACTLY what is in each version of the car and each option. They are always so vague. Things like "P" versus non-"P", are the wheels and tires really staggered these days? I think they are, which I would rather not in order to rotate tires, but I'm not worrying about that because I'll put on aftermarket wheels anyway.

PS. Is it possible to add Ludicrous back in later on? As an upgrade?

Yes, they said you can always add it back on later, however they want $10K to do it, and even if it's a lease. So instead of adding maybe about $125/mo or so to the lease payment, later you have to pay $10K in cash. Which is ridiculous when you think about it, you are renting the car, and they are charging you for an option that should cost of over the life of the car. Actually, once turned in after the lease, they could disable the feature again, and make someone else repay for it a second time.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL