Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D tire wear and alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me be perfectly clear.
I am not guessing.
When you raise the suspension, you will see more wear on the outside of the tread.
When you lower the suspension, you will see more wear on the inside of the tread.
Again: I am not guessing.

Answer to new question: I have not seen anything in the manual on the subject.

The reason I'm trying to get hard evidence is because there seems to be people who have extreme tire wear no matter what settings they have the suspension set to. I don't know your background or history with Tesla so am I suppose to just take your word for it? Not trying to be a jerk just looking for more information as I'm considering a newer S wish adjustable suspension and I like to keep it in the low setting and dont want to have to buy tires every 10k miles or less.

The reason I'm trying to get hard evidence is because there seems to be people who have extreme tire wear no matter what settings they have the suspension set to. I don't know your background or history with Tesla so am I suppose to just take your word for it? Not trying to be a jerk just looking for more information as I'm considering a newer S wish adjustable suspension and I like to keep it in the low setting and dont want to have to buy tires every 10k miles or less.
Okay, that's a reasonable statement.
Let me also add that both you and OP are asking about Model S and both myself and the video are discussing Model X. I'm not sure that makes any difference but I think the issues are the same on both cars.
My situation was that I had some "in good shape" tires, and had to do some hypermiling and set my suspension low. I forgot about the setting and 1000+ miles later, had eaten up the inside tread. The local Tesla maintenance guy, a Ranger, the sales guy at the tire place all said "I see you had your suspension set low" (or words to that effect). I know I've also seen it on several TMC threads but I'm too lazy to do a search (have at it!). At least my tires were near the end of their life and I pushed them over the edge.

At any rate:
  • I'm not guessing
  • My experience is on a Model X
Please feel free to test for yourself. Just don't bitch at me if you ruin your tires.

Just one minor point to add.... when the steering turns, the camber of the front wheels change (see picture below.) The effect would be more significant on wider/larger tires, like the ones on the Tesla Model S/X.

If the 'regular' driving involves a lot of steering (around city streets, curvy country roads, U-turns, etc., especially on poor road surfaces) it might accelerate the uneven wear of the tires, after 10,000 miles or more.

Just to share for consideration.

GranularAnyCatbird-small.gif

I understand the geometry and understand how suspension changes on normal cars but when looking at the air suspension on tesla model s the geometry does not seem to change when I have adjusted it in person or view it on YouTube. Someone with adjustable suspension wanna check?

And as we all know a local tire shop will know absolutely nothing about tesla suspension

I don't think anybody can see the 1º-2º change with the naked eye. That's why shops spend $30k or so on an alignment rack.

My car has air suspension and I can tell you, if I drive the car at a height lower than what the alignment was performed at, I will get wear along the inside edge of the tires.

My alignment shop said if I like to drive at the lower height, they can do the alignment at that height so the tires will wear evenly.

I don't think anybody can see the 1º-2º change with the naked eye. That's why shops spend $30k or so on an alignment rack.

My car has air suspension and I can tell you, if I drive the car at a height lower than what the alignment was performed at, I will get wear along the inside edge of the tires.

My alignment shop said if I like to drive at the lower height, they can do the alignment at that height so the tires will wear evenly.
... except that it will only affect the front tires. The rear tires will still get worn in a way that you don't want.