Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100Ds with and without Ludicrous - So many questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone who has knowledge about what happened in 2018 please enlighten us about what happened with P100Ds with and without Ludicrous Mode? Was there a time when Ludicrous mode was standard with P100Ds in 2018? What was the 0-60 difference between P100Ds with and without Ludicrous in 2018?

I realize at the moment for 2019 vehicles, it is 3s 0-60 without Ludicrous and 2.4s with Ludicrous. I am seeing some 2018 P100Ds with a 0-60 spec time of 2.7 so that's in between current Ludicrous and non ludicrous 0-60 times, so is there an internal software or build flag for a higher level of performance for those 2018 cars from current P100Ds without Ludicrous? It seems in 2018 some P100Ds were sold with a 0-60 times of 2.7, exactly .3 seconds slower than current Ludicrous and .3 seconds faster than current Non-Ludicrous.

For 2018 P100Ds without Ludicrous, are the options Chill | Standard | Sport or just Chill | Sport? Do we have any published 0-60 figures of 2018 P100Ds without Ludicrous?

How does the lack of Ludicrous Mode affect the power output of kW/Horsepower? Does it limit peak kW or there is a taper after reaching the same peak kW as non-ludicrous cars?

This stuff is ludicrously confusing! :p

Thanks for any info!

Until recently, all P100D officially had Ludicrous. Tesla had been offering an off the menu option to remove it in software for a $10,000 deduction on CPO cars and possibly inventory too, but it officially always came with Ludicrous. The recent change makes it optional, so cars without may not come with the hardware upgrades needed for Ludicrous.

Ludicrous increases acceleration at launch and passing power substantially, by increasing battery power output to 1760 amps. A P100D without Ludicrous is still a very fast vehicle, but not as fast.

Could someone who has knowledge about what happened in 2018 please enlighten us about what happened with P100Ds with and without Ludicrous Mode? Was there a time when Ludicrous mode was standard with P100Ds in 2018? What was the 0-60 difference between P100Ds with and without Ludicrous in 2018?

I realize at the moment for 2019 vehicles, it is 3s 0-60 without Ludicrous and 2.4s with Ludicrous. I am seeing some 2018 P100Ds with a 0-60 spec time of 2.7 so that's in between current Ludicrous and non ludicrous 0-60 times, so is there an internal software or build flag for a higher level of performance for those 2018 cars from current P100Ds without Ludicrous? It seems in 2018 some P100Ds were sold with a 0-60 times of 2.7, exactly .3 seconds slower than current Ludicrous and .3 seconds faster than current Non-Ludicrous.

For 2018 P100Ds without Ludicrous, are the options Chill | Standard | Sport or just Chill | Sport? Do we have any published 0-60 figures of 2018 P100Ds without Ludicrous?

How does the lack of Ludicrous Mode affect the power output of kW/Horsepower? Does it limit peak kW or there is a taper after reaching the same peak kW as non-ludicrous cars?

This stuff is ludicrously confusing! :p

Thanks for any info!

Do you have a link to a P100D with a 2.7 0-60? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Thanks

ETA: Never mind, found one.

Model S P100D 5YJSA1E44GF166850 | Tesla

Until recently, all P100D officially had Ludicrous. Tesla had been offering an off the menu option to remove it in software for a $10,000 deduction on CPO cars and possibly inventory too, but it officially always came with Ludicrous. The recent change makes it optional, so cars without may not come with the hardware upgrades needed for Ludicrous.

Ludicrous increases acceleration at launch and passing power substantially, by increasing battery power output to 1760 amps. A P100D without Ludicrous is still a very fast vehicle, but not as fast.

Do you know how many amps are available for a non ludicrous P100D?

Do you have a link to a P100D with a 2.7 0-60? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Thanks

ETA: Never mind, found one.

Model S P100D 5YJSA1E44GF166850 | Tesla

Yeah so this is what I'm talking about... So we have 2.4s 0-60 with Ludicrous and 3s 0-60 WITHOUT Ludicrous and there are then some other cars in between with a 2.7s 0-60... What's the basis for the interim 0-60 spec of 2.7 seconds? Is there a special software/build flag for that which is different from the 2.4 second 0-60 cars? @HankLloydRight, are you familiar with this?

The car you listed with a 0-60 of 2.7 is actually listed with Ludicrous. I found an inventory 2018 P100D with a 0-60 of 2.7 so would the 2.7s 0-60 imply ludicrous Mode as without Ludicrous it would be >= 3 seconds?

You linked a 2.4 / 2.28 Ludicrous P100D. The listed times on tesla's website are always questionable. It's not just P100D L and non-L, they've done this with P85s too, and they had NO variation on 0-60 times. Their website is a mess and inconsistent. If it says Ludicrous, you get 2.4 or better. If it's not equipped with Ludicrous, you get Insane, and I don't know what that looks like on a P100Di but there's probably a thread.

What's the basis for the interim 0-60 spec of 2.7 seconds? Is there a special software/build flag for that which is different from the 2.4 second 0-60 cars? @HankLloydRight, are you familiar with this?

I am not familiar with this until now. But data from Tesla can vary widely for no particular reason when it comes to 0-60 times. Looking at all P100DLs in the US, here are all the 0-60 times listed for them:

Looks like the 2.7 is from Canada or New Zealand.

I am not familiar with this until now. But data from Tesla can vary widely for no particular reason when it comes to 0-60 times. Looking at all P100DLs in the US, here are all the 0-60 times listed for them:

Looks like the 2.7 is from Canada or New Zealand.

Thanks for the additional data!

There are also US Spec. P100Ds with a 0-60 time of 2.7s so in order to achieve that, the car would need to have some software flag for it to have more power than a non ludicrous 3s P100D -- right?

I have no idea where that "2.7" is coming from. Looks like a default value when there's no 0-60 data available.

Here's what the code looks like for normal cars with that information in the data stream (from this car with a 2.4 0-60 Model S P100D 5YJSA1E41GF159872 | Tesla)

upload_2019-3-25_12-12-36.png

And here's what that 166850 P100DL has-- the "options: []" field is totally blank/null:

upload_2019-3-25_12-9-7.png

My question is has anyone taken delivery of their inventory P100D with Ludicrous removed upon request?

I haven't taken delivery of mine yet and am wondering if they're actually disabling Ludicrous or not. I put my reservation in last Sunday and got pictures of the car on Friday but it still had Ludicrous enabled at that point (underline under P100D on the screen).

My question is has anyone taken delivery of their inventory P100D with Ludicrous removed upon request?

I haven't taken delivery of mine yet and am wondering if they're actually disabling Ludicrous or not. I put my reservation in last Sunday and got pictures of the car on Friday but it still had Ludicrous enabled at that point (underline under P100D on the screen).

Keep your fingers crossed... How was the condition of your car?

If the car listing for sale showed a 2.x 0-60 speed, they would need to keep Ludicrous mode enabled for the car, as that's the performance they sold to you.

Keep your fingers crossed... How was the condition of your car?

If the car listing for sale showed a 2.x 0-60 speed, they would need to keep Ludicrous mode enabled for the car, as that's the performance they sold to you.

The car listing was with Ludicrous but I asked them to remove Ludicrous to take $20K off the price. I'm just wondering if they'll actually do so, or if they just removed the Ludicrous line item from the invoice and called it a day. I'll be fine if they actually disable it on the car, but it would be awesome if they don't!

Condition in the pictures was great, haven't actually picked the car up yet though.

The car listing was with Ludicrous but I asked them to remove Ludicrous to take $20K off the price. I'm just wondering if they'll actually do so, or if they just removed the Ludicrous line item from the invoice and called it a day. I'll be fine if they actually disable it on the car, but it would be awesome if they don't!

Condition in the pictures was great, haven't actually picked the car up yet though.

I didn’t catch the year of your P100DL. I wouldn’t expect them to give you back $20K and remove the L if the L was standard on the P100D you bought.

About those 0-60 times, here’s a quote:
“Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow Motor Trend's test procedure of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.”

The trouble is that the 1 foot rollout is valid for quarter mile times but it is totally inappropriate for 0-60 times. To see why, imagine the extreme, imagine applying the technique to a bullet. If you measure the time the bullet takes to go 1/4 mile, one foot makes very little difference. Now imagine deducting the first foot from the time it takes the bullet to reach 60 MPH. The bullet reaches 60 MPH in the first inch or so.

Now you might point out that a Tesla isn’t the same as a bullet. And I would respond that if the technique is improper for any object, then it is improper for every object.

That first foot is the slowest foot, it’s worth 0.3 seconds or so. Some genius at Motor Trend didn’t think it through. Now Tesla quotes the invalid Motor Trend number as do seemingly all the other manufacturers. The quicker the car, the more the results are affected.

Some European countries don’t allow the use of the invalid measurement. This might account for the difference in the 2.3 vs 2.7 second claims.

This should take nothing from the car. A sub 11 second quarter mile time in an unmodified luxury 4 door passenger car is absolutely amazing.

Reactions: Russell
I didn’t catch the year of your P100DL. I wouldn’t expect them to give you back $20K and remove the L if the L was standard on the P100D you bought.

About those 0-60 times, here’s a quote:
“Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow Motor Trend's test procedure of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.”

The trouble is that the 1 foot rollout is valid for quarter mile times but it is totally inappropriate for 0-60 times. To see why, imagine the extreme, imagine applying the technique to a bullet. If you measure the time the bullet takes to go 1/4 mile, one foot makes very little difference. Now imagine deducting the first foot from the time it takes the bullet to reach 60 MPH. The bullet reaches 60 MPH in the first inch or so.

Now you might point out that a Tesla isn’t the same as a bullet. And I would respond that if the technique is improper for any object, then it is improper for every object.

That first foot is the slowest foot, it’s worth 0.3 seconds or so. Some genius at Motor Trend didn’t think it through. Now Tesla quotes the invalid Motor Trend number as do seemingly all the other manufacturers. The quicker the car, the more the results are affected.

Some European countries don’t allow the use of the invalid measurement. This might account for the difference in the 2.3 vs 2.7 second claims.

This should take nothing from the car. A sub 11 second quarter mile time in an unmodified luxury 4 door passenger car is absolutely amazing.

Sounds like he did get his $20K off, because he bought the car. He's just asking/curious/hoping they might neglect to remove it.
And how to tell if they did.

A sub 11 second quarter mile time in an unmodified luxury 4 door passenger car is absolutely amazing.
Exactly, and from my experience on normal roads covered in grime, stones, etc the traction control kicks in enough that you aren't going to get 2.7 to 60 anyway. I know I've felt the car slow down many times just briefly after launching it.