Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3+ Time for new tires. Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
see much delta from Pilots? In perfect weather of Phoenix?

The following advice applies anywhere (based on anywheres weather)

Assuming it never goes below ~40 (or never does when you'd be driving the car) there's no reason to not stick with the PS4s- best tire you can put on the car for street use in those conditions.

If it does do so with any frequency (but doesn't get real snow) then the A/S3+ is a great choice- not quite a PS4s, but close "enough" for something that can stand below-freezing temps.

If it snows significantly- get two sets of wheels. Real winter tires will beat any all season in real snow, and we already know the PS4s will be everything above ~40 degrees.

How about these?

You typically get what you pay for with tires. Those will definitely work, but expect them to be louder, rougher and have less precise feeling compared to a more premium tire.

Personally i think the PS4S is well worth it, i was just running 2x different tires (S007 and RE71s) before going back to them and they felt so silky smooth once i had them installed on the referral wheels.

Another thing to consider that isn't always discussed is that tires have the single biggest impact on range of any wear component on the vehicle. The factory PS4S is not the most efficient tire, but it is almost certainly more efficient than the Nankang you linked. Given the Performance 3 already has "limited" range, keep in mind you may see it drop even further with a cheap tire.

If you are looking to save some money and don't need the performance of a summer tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is probably your best option.

Another thing to consider that isn't always discussed is that tires have the single biggest impact on range of any wear component on the vehicle.

Also the single biggest impact on stopping distance (pretty much the only one in fact as far as parts on the car)

For example swapping (on say a P3D-) from the stock MXM4s to PS4s will knock ~30 feet off your 60-0 stopping distance.

It'll hurt range a bit too of course, but I'll take stopping ~30% shorter in an emergency over having to stop a few minutes sooner at a charger all day every day. YMMV :)

(and I agree the A/S 3+ might been a pretty reasonable compromise, offering a healthy portion of the PS4s performance with longer tread life)

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Is that the track pack wheel set in your picture?

I am tempted to try some cheapo tires this round. Not tracking just commuting and lots of 0-60 in 3.2s...

My summer wheels are Stance SF03 in 20” x 9.0”.

As others have mentioned, tires isn’t something I’d cheap out on, but to each his own.

In my experience, Michelin’s generous pro-rated warranty and willingness to work with their dealers and customers often results in their tires being less expensive to actually own than some of the cheap brands out there...

I've cheaper out on tires for 15 plus years on multitudes of cars with no issues. My only concern on this one is potential noise which I heard isn't much of a huge concern and most importantly range.

If anyone knows of any tires that won't affect range that are cheap I'm all ears.

I've cheaper out on tires for 15 plus years on multitudes of cars with no issues. My only concern on this one is potential noise which I heard isn't much of a huge concern and most importantly range...

That's cool, and like I said, to each his own. If you don't want to pay for the advantages provided by better tires, that's your prerogative.

To give you an example, though, I paid right at $500 installed for the last set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires I purchased for my previous car, and those were 255/35/20s. Michelin really goes the extra mile with its customers to inspire brand loyalty.

Reactions: dfwatt
I've ran Michelin PS4S & Cups, and Pirelli P-Zero Sport summer tires on my cars, but his time I'm trying out the Falken Azenis tires on my Model 3 (on 20" wheels) to see how they do.

At almost half the price and a bit more tread wear, the compound is still soft enough to give some good performance on the street and are still quiet to drive on, but I wouldn't want to take some hard corners at high speed until I've really gotten a feel for them. Most of the driving in my Model 3 will be freeway commuting in So Cal, so these will probably work great for what I need them. I really like how the Michelin & Pirelli tires perform on my cars, but not when I'm only getting 8-10k miles per set. If I can get at least 15k out of the Falkens, then I'll be happy with that.

IMO, it's going to depend on your driving habits and your budget with what tires you get. My advice to that would be to get a wider tire like a 245 or possibly a 255 wide tire.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad