Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D owners, noisy brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Does anyone else have really noisy brakes? Mine squeak and grind like a jalopy until they are warm. At first I assumed that my pads were just toast (despite low miles) as that what it sounds like but plenty of pad left. I took it into the SC and they couldn't see any issues, and of course it wasn't squeaking then. Cleaned everything up and it's about the same. The SC pointed out that the pads are performance pads and are prone to be noisy, but it's not like they are full ceramic race pads and they definitely did not do this a few months ago. It's a bit embarrassing to be driving a nice car that pulls up and sounds like a junker. I've tried being more aggressive on braking, using low regen periodically etc. and it doesn't seem to do much.

Anyone else having noise issues?

Hmmm i'm using track pads now but never had any noises on my OEM ones. When do you hear the noise? Is it when you first press the brake, during application of the brake or when you let-off the brake?

I've noticed a slight squeak (very quiet) sometimes when i'm stopped in brake hold and then hit the throttle, it seems like its coming from the calipers retracting but its super quiet and not really a bother.

Hmmm i'm using track pads now but never had any noises on my OEM ones. When do you hear the noise? Is it when you first press the brake, during application of the brake or when you let-off the brake?

I've noticed a slight squeak (very quiet) sometimes when i'm stopped in brake hold and then hit the throttle, it seems like its coming from the calipers retracting but its super quiet and not really a bother.
Which pads are you on? Im almost done with my stock ones and need new ones for the track on my new P3D

Which pads are you on? Im almost done with my stock ones and need new ones for the track on my new P3D

Email Unplugged, they have some track pads available off-menu for the P3D. The ones on their website are "sport" pads which are a step above OEM, but they also have an even more aggressive version if you ask for it.

These have been fantastic so far on and off track. Only downside is they do create a good bit of dust on track (to be expected) and maybe 30% of the time on the street you get a very very slight squeak when coming to a complete stop, but i don't really mind at all.

Its when I first press the break. Reminds me of then I was 16 and ran my pads to metal. Same types of squeaks and grinding sounds.

I guess I need to record it and go back to the SC. :/

Its when I first press the break. Reminds me of then I was 16 and ran my pads to metal. Same types of squeaks and grinding sounds.

I guess I need to record it and go back to the SC. :/

Hmm look at your rotors and check for any rust/corrosion or grooves. You might have something stuck between a pad and the rotor but if that was the case you'd probably see some wear on the rotor.

Hmm look at your rotors and check for any rust/corrosion or grooves. You might have something stuck between a pad and the rotor but if that was the case you'd probably see some wear on the rotor.
They look clean at a glance. I'm actually leaning towards my pads being glazed. I could see the SC missing that. I have some upgraded pads on order anyway so hopefully they resolve the issue.

I found that the brakes on the Tesla Model 3 Performance oxidize quickly especially if you clean the car and leave them overnight. The brakes are noisy at slow speeds like backing out of the driveway. I just hit the brakes at say 20 MPH or over to clean the brakes off until the rust is removed. Owners of other Tesla models have reported this also.