Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D with Performance Upgrade and Black Interior status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an AWD model 3 on order since 7/9 which I upgraded to performance on 9/7. Edit button still there. delivery eta says end of September which I think (and hope) isn't going to happen. with all the issues i'm hearing, I'm hoping for a production date of 10/18 with delivery end of October or early November
It might. They are trying to push out many cars as they can before the end of the quarter.

Had the wheels off over the weekend and was applying a ceramic coating to them when I noticed one of the downsides of the PUP. Seems with it so low profile, will need to be extra wary of potholes. I'm pretty sure I know which one did it too, it wasn't a very big one at all. Probably take it by a shop and see if it can be easily corrected.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
No car is perfect, if someone says it is they haven't looked closely enough. This includes both of my BMWs and my Model 3. You will most likely find a handful of issues with your second Model 3, really think about whether they will really make a difference in your enjoyment of the car.

Every first year model car I’ve bought has been perfect from Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus and BMW. ZERO Fit and finish, paint quality or panel gap issues. I’m a detailing enthusiast (polisher, yearly 1-2 step corrections if needed etc..) so not looking close enough isn’t the issue.

That being said.....I ordered my car knowing Tesla is still in its infancy compared to the other major manufactures. I’m fully expecting there to be some issues....BUT they have been around long enough and with this day in age of tech and tighter build tolerances.... the paint, build quality and QC of some the cars being sold is atrocious.

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
Anyone received a red P3D+ with vin of 63xxx? That's my vin and I'm wondering if these have been reworked or if they're just jumbling up the VIN sequences
I've had 2 -- VINs within a few of each other. The first was damaged by Tesla at the Delivery Center, so I didn't check the build date. The second had a build date of 9/2018. The first arrived at the Delivery Center in late-August, and presumably had an 8/2018 build date.

Picked mine up in Kansas City on 9/14.
P3D+ MSM, black interior.
Nearly flawless. A few paint swirls but no chips, no glass issues and panel alignment is great.
Going for paint correction, full front wrap in Xpel Ultimate and then Modesta BC-04 coating first week of October.
Aluminum pedals were installed. No word on when badging or the spoiler would be available.

Picked up my P3D+ yesterday. Was hoping it would be a great experience after they sent my first car to Hawaii but unfortunately it wasn't.

My original appointment was at 8am but they pushed it back to 12pm after the car arrived that morning, a day late. Everyone was nice and paperwork took 5 minutes. Then they took me to the car and had a quick intro and setup of my phone. My DS said take it for a ride and I say I needed to look around the car first. After being told they had looked over the car and it was perfect I found three problems in a quick walk around. First, the diver's door was unaligned but fixable. Second, the passenger side rear facing camera assembly was popped out from the sided of the car, broken clip I was later told. Third, the trunk lid was misaligned and had a small dent. After seeing the dent I stopped looking and went back in to get my DS. He took it back to get it checked out and told me it will take a few hours to aligned the door and replace the camera. I was expecting a few issues and was eager to get the car but I went home to wait for a call.

The DS called me about 45 minutes later and told me the door was fixed and they had to order a new version C side camera but installed a version B until it could be replaced. For the small dent in the trunk they said it would be easily fixed at a future appointment. They offered to deliver it to my home and hesitantly I accepted. I should have went back to the DS and complete my inspection before accepting but my desire to get it now and drive was to much to resist.

It was delivered and I plugged in my wall charger for the first time, worked perfect! My DS said if I find anything else just let them know as they just started a new policy to fix any issue found within three days of taking delivery. He said it was to relieve the pressure of finding all issues before accepting delivery. It worked for me and I accepted the car. Car drove great just like the test drive and autopilot was close to flawless. My wife preferred it to my driving which I didn't expect would happen.

I arrived a friends home to show off and that is when I started noticing more issues. The trunk was much worse then I had previously noticed. Every corner of it was misaligned and I could slightly see into the trunk while it was closed on the drivers side. I decided to head home and take a much closer look. On the way home I turned off the music and listened. There was a lot of wind noise coming from the roof above me. Also a clicking sound from the area of the driver side A pillar started about halfway home the has continued ever since, its driving me crazy.

At home I found many issues. The glass above the driver was a different curve than the other roof windows and the front corners were higher then the windshield and the molding was incorrect. The front bumper was misaligned and the gap between it and the hood was about double the correct size. The driver door that was realigned was still bad with the bottom of the door coming within about a millimeter or two of hitting the rocker panel. The back passenger door hang about a quarter inch low and make a horrible metal on metal sound when closing which was hard to do. This door also had the trim at the bottom of the window sticking out and not aligned with the other trim. Inspecting the broken camera that needed to be replaced I noticed that the metal behind it where it clipped in was bent back. This is probably the reason why the clip couldn't latch on and broke.

Today I drove to work and the clicking sound was still happening, so annoying. Then turning on the music I noticed a lot of vibrations coming from the same general area of the clicking. After work I took the car to my detailer and started noticing the front motor making a loud winding noise on acceleration and regeneration. At this point I may be just hearing things as I'm feeling like the car is a lemon. My detailer has the same P3D+ as me but with white interior. We compared our cars and he was surprised how many issues my car had considering his was build 2 months ago and mine about a week ago. He told me it looks like all of my panels are misaligned like the first one put on was incorrect and the rest misaligned like they were all based off the alignment of the first panel.

I have called Tesla service and told them about all the issues I found. Going in on Monday for a service appointment to get everything checked out. I was hoping Tesla had solved most of the body alignment issues but with my car being manufacture this month, 9/18, looks like it is still a work in progress. Don't be like me and let your excitement to finally get your car after years of waiting stop you from taking a hard long look at every angle of your car before accepting delivery.

i’m sorry to hear this, both you and @ghostbusta.
what range is your vin #?

i was supposed to pick up mine today but it got delayed. i’m 72xxx

New update. I called Customer Service and explained my situation. They told me the Delivery Center is wrong and they will replace my car with a new silver one matching my original configuration. My original order will not be canceled and I will still get all the supercharger and online for life benefits. They also helped me cancel the new order the Delivery Center told me to make. FYI, they said no orders can be canceled without a writen request, they can't do it over the phone.

I'm super happy about this but still worried I may be getting incorrect information. I will call tomorrow and confirm these updates are accurate.

Very happy to hear your M3 was perfect. My last car also had a production date of 9/18 with a vin of 721xx but it had 15 documented issues. Maybe its an issue with a specific production line.
hope it goes well. that sounds like much better service than the original “solution”. they tend to do the right thing, so the 2nd “better solution” doesn’t surprise me. good luck.

got the call this morning.

DBM P3D+ with black interior and EAP.
ordered 8/27 (no reservation but we own an X)
edit-account workaround went away 9/15.
scheduled delivery for Sept 19 in LA.
Vin # 84xxx

if anyone has a detailed checklist they'd be willing to share, i would love to see it.

Reactions: Gavyne
Got a text message this morning--offering delivery on for after Wednesday 9/19 @ Fremont (P3D+ multi-coat red/black interior w/EAP...configured first day). The Tesla rep (interestingly a 5 year employee working out of Fremont, but reports to a manager in Las Vegas) wanted to have me take delivery by Sunday and was offering some kind of $200 incentive (did not explore--can't make it). Now scheduled Monday 9/24 @ 9:00 am in Fremont. No VIN or MVPA yet--waiting.....

Delivery was set to happen later today, after the first reschedule from last week. They called today to tell us that the car is still in the rail-yard. My account no longer shows a delivery date and time, its just back to "by Late September." At this point, I'll just wait for them to tell me the car is at store, no point in daily updates about it being stuck. Went to see them in-person on Saturday and the location was very busy. I told them its probably better to set a low bar for the delivery date and meet it, rather than trying to give me a new delivery date every few days and missing it due to logistics. Back to waiting for now ^_^

Delivery was set to happen later today, after the first reschedule from last week. They called today to tell us that the car is still in the rail-yard. My account no longer shows a delivery date and time, its just back to "by Late September." At this point, I'll just wait for them to tell me the car is at store, no point in daily updates about it being stuck. Went to see them in-person on Saturday and the location was very busy. I told them its probably better to set a low bar for the delivery date and meet it, rather than trying to give me a new delivery date every few days and missing it due to logistics. Back to waiting for now ^_^

Glad to hear you're being a sport about it. Just be prepared to wait and try not to lose hope. Its been over 2 weeks since my last delivery date, I'm starting to feel quite a bit more down now, but hopefully my enthusiasm will return next week. Definitely agree with the low expectations, at this stage in the game. I just hope they don't hurt too many customers with this process.