Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Man, I just bought a 2013 P85 and I wanted a little bit more with it. After some googling, i came across your posts about the autopilot you were able to add on your wifes car and the Ludacris you were also able to add. Is there anyway possible that you can do this to my p85????? dm me or anything. I am new to Tesla and to this forum as well.

Reactions: TroyGuy
I too have a very early P85 #23 worldwide on Tesla’s original reservation que. I’ve customized my interior big time and exterior too using Tesla OEM parts for the refresh. I don’t want to sell my car but I would love to make mine ludicrous. I’m way out of warrant but I do have an updated motor.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Hey Man, I just bought a 2013 P85 and I wanted a little bit more with it. After some googling, i came across your posts about the autopilot you were able to add on your wifes car and the Ludacris you were also able to add. Is there anyway possible that you can do this to my p85????? dm me or anything. I am new to Tesla and to this forum as well.

wk057 doesn't frequent this forum much any more, but if I remember correctly, he added the autopilot to that P85 basically as an exercise to see if it was possible. However, I believe he stated that he would never do it again because it was so labor and parts intensive (I think he had to replace or modify basically the entire wiring harness of the car).

The ludicrous mod was a comparatively less labor-intensive effort, though the cost was similar, and the resulting performance was not full ludicrous power, as the P85 only has a single rear motor.

I agree with Hank above that these mods would be entirely cost-prohibitive compared to selling the P85 and purchasing a PxxD with AP and ludicrous.

wk057 doesn't frequent this forum much any more, but if I remember correctly, he added the autopilot to that P85 basically as an exercise to see if it was possible. However, I believe he stated that he would never do it again because it was so labor and parts intensive (I think he had to replace or modify basically the entire wiring harness of the car).

The ludicrous mod was a comparatively less labor-intensive effort, though the cost was similar, and the resulting performance was not full ludicrous power, as the P85 only has a single rear motor.

I agree with Hank above that these mods would be entirely cost-prohibitive compared to selling the P85 and purchasing a PxxD with AP and ludicrous.
Well i just bought my car for 36k, you think i can sell it for that much?

Well i just bought my car for 36k, you think i can sell it for that much?

Not sure, but even if you sell it at a slight loss and invest more than that in a PxxD with AP and Ludicrous, you'll still pay less than trying to have wk057 modify it for you. If I remember correctly, for the Ludicrous mod, there was only one certain variant of battery that can be used, and it's likely your P85 doesn't have it, so you'd be buying a battery swap even before any work is done.

To do the Ludicrous mod alone would cost you upwards of $20K, and that's even if wk057 would agree to it.

I see some P90DL vehicles on ev-cpo.com in the $60K range.

forget it not worth all the trouble. Love this car too much to do all that just for autopilot and ludicrous. Its still pretty fast, so for now ill Keep it for a while
Yeah, I had these thoughts when I bought a Model S in 2014, two weeks before AWD and Autopilot was announced. To quote Dilbert: "I bought this thing a week ago and it's already obsolete". I kept it for 4 years until my number came up on the Model 3 P3D+ reservation list. Put 116,000 miles on it.

I suspect adding AutoPilot and adding ludicrous (not quiet since your car has no front motors) would be significantly more than "a little bit more" that you are looking for - likely cost more than you paid for your car. That said, you could check with Electrified Garage to see if they would even give you a quote.

I financed it, so idk how I would sell it or if anyone would even pay 35k for it. I love this car. I just wish i coulda added auto pilot atleast to it

Just because it's financed, doesn't mean you can't sell it. CarMax, Vroom, etc. will pay-off the loan and give you the difference (or charge you the balance if worth less than you owe). Vroom will give you an offer online so you can at least get an idea of what it's worth without having to bring it somewhere. They come pick-up the car once the sale is finalized. I sold my Model 3 to them. It was pretty easy to do.

Just because it's financed, doesn't mean you can't sell it. CarMax, Vroom, etc. will pay-off the loan and give you the difference (or charge you the balance if worth less than you owe). Vroom will give you an offer online so you can at least get an idea of what it's worth without having to bring it somewhere. They come pick-up the car once the sale is finalized. I sold my Model 3 to them. It was pretty easy to do.
Did you get more or less than you payed?

Many of us older Tesla models have added AP1 to our vehicles for a fraction of the cost of upgrading to a newer used car. This isn't for the faint of heart, but doable. Search these forums and ask questions. Don't take "sell and buy new model" as an excuse NOT to look into it. As for Insane or Ludi mode upgrade, check which battery pack you have and see if it is compatible with the P85D/L cars. There is a compatibility table floating around out there somewhere.

Many of us older Tesla models have added AP1 to our vehicles for a fraction of the cost of upgrading to a newer used car. This isn't for the faint of heart, but doable. Search these forums and ask questions. Don't take "sell and buy new model" as an excuse NOT to look into it. As for Insane or Ludi mode upgrade, check which battery pack you have and see if it is compatible with the P85D/L cars. There is a compatibility table floating around out there somewhere.
Good to know.

Can you elaborate a bit on the process and does Tesla charge a fee to enable your new AP1 hardware?

Reactions: whitex
Plenty of AP1 conversion threads on this forum, no need for me to recap. And as far as I know, Tesla will not officially turn on the AP feature-set. That's on you to figure out how to do. There are several MCU1 "enthusiasts" floating around out there to assist as needed (EVFIXME comes to mind).

Reactions: FlatSix911
I can get a performance motor for $3k on eBay, not sure what a rooter charges. I doubt the upgrade would cost more than trading in and buying a p85 when considering tesla's ridiculously low trade in offer. I can sell the battery on eBay out of the car for what tesla offerred. Salvage model S with similar milage , age and features goes for more than they and still needs to be repaired. Mine is in excellent shape, doesn't suffer from battery gate as far as I can tell, is well loaded and no accident history. If I could make mine equivalent to a P85 or greater for under $3,500 I would likely do it.
Hey, I have one of the very first model s 85 signature editions. I need more range, but not more power.

Can you upgrade just the battery to 100?

If so, how much range would you anticipate?

I think I got 265 miles of range new, bit am down to about 240?

Thanks,

Josh

[email protected]