Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ Owners...any comments with regard to ride quality, tires, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I LOVE! my P85+ and it's 21"ers. I prefer a firmer ride. So I really can't say much about harshness. From my POV, she is smooth as silk. The staggered tires can be a hassle. I did swap out my Michelin PS2s for Hankooks, which are wearing much better. Though the rears do give up a little bit of grip. I love the RWD. I love the air suspension because I live in the mountains with many areas where I do need to raise it to get in drives, etc.

I have been told that it does have more road noise than the 19"s. But I have not had the chance to compare. I expect that at some point in the future, I will probably do a DynaMat soundproofing just for Sh-ts and giggles. I do hear road noise; perhaps more than I would like. But the MS is, by far, the quietest car I have owned. And for a 4,600 pound beast, she handles really well. Always firmly planted.

Road noise is really tough to quell. Dynamat, in my opinion, does very little based on my experience (did a lot on my 2005 GTO). The mass loaded vinyl (i.e. heavy vinyly suspended on foam)' does better at blocking noise, but you do tend to have to put it everywhere. I've never done wheel wells and have occassionally wondered if that would make a material difference. Quieter tires seem to be the "best" solution by far...speaking of which, what size Hankooks did you install CHG? Did you go bigger or smaller than the stock size? Was there a change in noise level vs. the PS2s?

51K mile P85er here. Received a P85+ loaner on our most recent "annual". Oh, how I wish the P85+ was available back in Jan '13. Going to 20 and 21" staggards here shortly where I will rotate L to R and inside-out to achieve an acceptable tire service life.

I bought a spare set of stock tesla 19's and had them PVD black chromed for my winter set - will post - driving dynamics. I don't mind the road noise with 21's - unless it is really a poorly surfaced road. I'm more concerned about tire longevity. PVD black chrome color is actually on Jay Leno's Corvette wheels - just attached to show the color and contrast with the red brake calibers and with a black car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Jjso0mO3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_QzWpTg4o

PVD black chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have what may be one of the last P85+ made (built 11/14), and I love it. It rides smoothly and quietly (keep in mind all cars have wind and road noise at highway speeds) and handles like a dream. No tire issues yet, but I have only 9,000 km on the car. I'm happy I stayed with the order and didn't go for the D.

Cab - I drove a 2013 Volt for over a year, loved the car. But loved my E46 M3 more. I wanted a car that would be a combination of both. I test drove every Model S version available in the spring of 2014 before deciding how to order my car. The spring suspension was nice with 19's, but I liked the look of the 21's. The regular air suspension was too sloppy for me, but rode great. Then I drove a P85+. The BMW like road feel was immediately apparent. Decision made, and I've been super happy with that decision ever since. I've had a chance to revisit my decision with recent loaners, and although Tesla has improved their standard suspension setup, I'm still very impressed when I get back in my P85+. There is more road noise with the low profile Michelin Pilot 21's than 19's, but the grip is outstanding with the staggered 21's! I'm very happy with the P85+ balance of ride/handling. My tires still have good & even tread at 13k, but I'm not always flooring it, as I often drive on curvy back roads. That's where the P85+ setup shines, as it makes this heavy car handle like a much lighter car. I don't miss not being able to rotate front to rear, as the M3 is the same, and so far, the MS tires are only slightly more worn in back than in front. I say go for it, you'll love it!

So Tesla just happened to have a local driving event here in the area today (Southlake, TX) and I took the opportunity to sign up hoping to test drive a car with 21" rims. They had an 85D with 19" rims (which I did not get to test), and a P85D with the 21s which, of course, I did test. Leaving the test are there was paved brick section and I could definitely feel that. I also took it onto our grooved road highway and to a particularly bumpy section of road (Freeport pky for those familiar with it). Yes, there was some jostling about on the low speed bumpy road and yes there was some tire noise (albeit, I THINK these were the 21" Contis -really should have paid closer attention!). Having said that, it was all very tolerable and basically "fine" from my perspective. I do really feel the "weight" in this car which probably helps to keep the ride tolerable.

Unfortunately, it isn't an apples to apples comparison with either a P85 or P85+. To make matters worse, it looks like Tesla CHANGED the P85D suspension some time around April and pre-April cars have a firmer suspension and post April cars have the standard 85 suspension. I have no idea which one I was in and where the P85+ suspension falls relative to those two...I gather somewhere in the middle. Ack, just one more "partial" data element!