Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ - What can I sell my car for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a heavily optioned P85+ and took delivery in Feb. If has 3200 miles on it. Gray with gray wheels and black leather interior. It's the best car, it just doesn't fit what my family needs right now and I need to put it up for sale. I believe a new order will take to September to get, so I'm hoping that helps me

New photos added here - 2014 Tesla P85+ - Gray with Gray wheels for sale, steep discount for sale NOW

What can I sell it for in the Santa Monica CA area?

Thoughts?

Model S $69,900
85kWh Performance $23,500
Performance plus package $6,500
21" Gray performance+ Wheels $4,500
Gray Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof $2500
Fog Lamps $500
Extended Napa Leather Trim $2,500
Premium Interior Lighting $1,000
Parking Sensors $500
Black Nappa Leather Seats $1,500
Alcantara Headliner
Obeche wood gloss decor $650
Tech Package $3,750
Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package $2,500
Rear Facing Seats $2,500
Parcel Shelf $250
Supercharging
Black Brake Calipers
Parking Sensors $500
Folding Mirrors
Twin Chargers$1500
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Destination and Regulatory Doc Fee $1,170
TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE $125,720

I'll get the model X when it comes out, but I need to sell this one now.

Last edited:
Hard to find comparables as I rarely see P85+ for sale. To get an idea, you can do the standard Tesla depreciation: $1/mile + $1,000/month. That's what an inventory car would go for. So with that depreciation you're at $120K. Then deduct the tax incentive, I think CA is $10K? So $110K. You'd probably have to sell it for a few thousand less than that since buyers might prefer an inventory car (warranty starts at delivery).

So I'd put it in the $103K-$108K range.

Of course most of that consists of my guesses. :)

Hard to find comparables as I rarely see P85+ for sale. To get an idea, you can do the standard Tesla depreciation: $1/mile + $1,000/month. That's what an inventory car would go for. So with that depreciation you're at $120K. Then deduct the tax incentive, I think CA is $10K? So $110K. You'd probably have to sell it for a few thousand less than that since buyers might prefer an inventory car (warranty starts at delivery).

So I'd put it in the $103K-$108K range.

Of course most of that consists of my guesses. :)

I was informed by California Tesla store assigned to selling inventory cars to Arizona that Tesla no longer prices their inventory cars this way. According to the person I spoke with, who may have been wrong, all inventory cars are sold as NEW and receive a maximum discount of $900. He also said they are eligible for the tax credit because they are considered new vehicles by Tesla.

Has anyone bought an inventory car in the last month or two? I'd like to know if this is true. My business partner wanted to buy an inventory car, but was told no because they would not be discounted beyond the $900 level. I was able to confirm with my local service manager that they can only keep a loaner for so long, either based on time in service or mileage, at which point it's sold as an inventory vehicle. My partner was hoping for a basic inventory car with more miles on it, but I think she's SOL.

I was informed by California Tesla store assigned to selling inventory cars to Arizona that Tesla no longer prices their inventory cars this way. According to the person I spoke with, who may have been wrong, all inventory cars are sold as NEW and receive a maximum discount of $900. He also said they are eligible for the tax credit because they are considered new vehicles by Tesla.

That seems odd. I had an inventory loaner that had for months been a showroom car. It had all of the showroom car wear and tear including the torn seat posts on all 4 corners. Now I realize Tesla can replaced those parts before selling, but in addition, it was quite "old" having served both showroom and road duty for some time. I don't think I'd want to pay "new" prices for that. There was nothing wrong mechanically with the car, but it was absolutely a "demo" and not "new".

I also wonder what is the legal definition of a "new car"? Can Tesla sell a car as new if it has 500 miles on it? Per Tesla, all inventory cars are reconditioned and come with the full warranty (not pro-rated from original in-service date). Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread.

I think new car is defined as a car that has never been titled.

This. Inventory cars with thousands of miles are still being sold a "new" and still qualify for all the government rebates/credits, etc since they have never been titled.

I also don't buy the max $900 discount thing. Maybe that's a new policy, and if so, they're not going to be selling many inventory cars with a $900 discount. I'd just buy brand new and order exactly what I want and get a car that has never been used. I think the max $900 discount is either misinformation or a red-herring of some sort.

This. Inventory cars with thousands of miles are still being sold a "new" and still qualify for all the government rebates/credits, etc since they have never been titled.

I also don't buy the max $900 discount thing. Maybe that's a new policy, and if so, they're not going to be selling many inventory cars with a $900 discount. I'd just buy brand new and order exactly what I want and get a car that has never been used. I think the max $900 discount is either misinformation or a red-herring of some sort.

I hope the $900 thing isn't true because I am on the hunt for an inventory car as well.

I was not told this by the person searching for a car for me.

If so I will just buy a POS to drive until the plant is back up.

I hope the $900 thing isn't true because I am on the hunt for an inventory car as well.

I just spoke to a Tesla SA yesterday about this and one specific car we spoke about was loaded with an MSRP around $129k and was told the price would be $120k or $9k off (all number approx. but close). Not sure I want to spend that much but the SA I spoke to was very specific that inventory cars are discounted. I need to get back to him with some specifics of what I want and he will search the inventory cars. I want the 21" grey wheels and in the MD/DC area there were only two with the grey wheels in inventory.

I can confirm this is not the case as I've received 5 inventory car quotes in the last week that reflect the $1/mi + 1 % /mth pricing model.