Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D being built at the factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By this time next month, I'll be a fellow Tesla driver. I've been an enthusiast of the company since it was an "upstart" still developing the Roadster, along-side things like Aptera and the Fisker Karma. I had a feeling that of all the different electric car companies springing up at the time, Tesla felt like it would be the one with staying power, and I made it a point to watch for a public offering of stock, getting in as soon as I could, figuring that in 10 or 15 years, I'd be glad I did. No, I didn't go in enough to become super-rich, but I do remember the moment Tesla stock doubled overnight. (I was at a conference in Las Vegas, fittingly enough.) I figured that, since it seemed to be stabilizing, I'd invest a little more. But, to my astonishment, the stock doubled again, transforming from a "because I can" side bet into an appreciable portion of my retirement portfolio. (I watched the short squeeze from the sideline, holding out for long-term, even expecting more dips and turbulence than I got. I feel that green tech is a solid investment for a future retirement, because either it does well, or I'm screwed anyway.)

The Tesla Roadster was my dream car for a number of years, but when I test drove the Model S, I came to realize that it was aiming to be more than a fun weekend car, but instead a replacement for my everyday drive to work. I have a two hour commute each direction, driving to work usually for 24 hour shifts at a time, coming home the next day. Racking over 30,000 miles a year, I've got a bit of a carbon footprint, even with a 35mpg Lexus GS hybrid. With the distances involved, cars like the Nissan Leaf would not be an option. By math the original Roadster could have worked, though it was outside of my price range at the time and pretty experimental, not very practical as one's first car.

I have been wanting to go all-electric for quite some time. At the moment, it is very fortunate that I like high performance luxury sports sedans, because at this time, the only choices available are all of the different available configurations of the Tesla Model S. Looking at what is in the pipelines for development, there will soon be the Tesla Model X SUV, though it looks like there will be a bit of a wait, as there would be a lot of people in front of me. Looking further ahead, other companies have offered hints of eventually coming out with something, but not for quite awhile. There's one that should be out in a few years, the Model 3, by Tesla. There's a theme, reminding me that I made the right call on my retirement portfolio. So basically, the choice was down to the Tesla Model S, or the high performance dual motor version of the same car, the one that has been featured on YouTube drag race videos taking on Corvettes, Dodge Challenger Hellcats, and even a Ferrari. Naturally, I went with the latter. Ordinarily, I would have said what I did a few years back when the Tesla Roadster was still out there, that $120,000 was well more than I would budget for a car, even though I spend so much time in it. But, I figured that at some point in my life, I should be able to say I've owned and driven a dream car, and this one could actually double as my regular commute. And, I wouldn't even have to worry about it's emissions, because in terms of green tech, it's a rock star.

What I got: Deep blue (newer "Ocean" version), tan next-gen seats, obeche gloss, panoramic roof, 19" cyclone wheels, with spoiler, with red brakes, autopilot (post-tech-package world setup), premium interior and lighting (black headliner), smart air suspension, UHF sound, and subzero weather

19" vs. 21": I read more about tires in the last year than in my first 41 of breathing. I ended up going with 19" cyclone wheels for the best range and least maintenance. Yes, there was the idea that a dream car should have the best handling possible, and the thought also came that if I could live without the $4500 tire upgrade, I could have lived without the $20,000 motor upgrade for 0.7 seconds of difference. But, after quite a bit of hair pulling, I felt I found my balanced happy place with this configuration. Besides, upgraded tires could be added later, and I figured if I did that, I could swap out the 19" with a winter set. No, I don't get a lot of snow and ice in Texas, maybe a week or so. But, since I work in an ER, I have to drive that week, and a two hour trip becomes a five hour trip.

Side note: I had put together on the Design Studio what I wanted and would someday get off and on for three years. I had everything picked out and ready to go for the time when my budget caught up, the Supercharger network and service infrastructure caught up, and the car itself proved itself ready over time. When the moment finally came to place the order, about three weeks before I was ready to click Order, Tesla announced the 70D and along with it a complete rearrangement of the packaging and pricing of options. And, not long after, they discontinued my favorite midnight blue. They teased that it would still be available "off menu" for a short time, so it was now or never. But, before placing the order, I went to the local Gallery, where, sure enough, the new colors were on display. I got to compare new blue to old blue in person and decided to go with the more vivid new blue. There was a lot of outcry at the time, particularly about having to get the interior package to get the liftgate, a controversy that I thought might come to be known as Liftgategate, or Lift(gate-squared). But, for me, it worked out. My re-calculated configuration was about $1500 more than the one I had worked out months earlier, but now included upgraded front seats and the rest of the interior package upgrades, which brought back the interior lighting upgrades I previously expected to sacrifice.

Delivery is still estimated in June, without an "early" or "late" qualifier. The high power wall connector goes up June second. And now, I wait...