Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D rear oil leak? WHAT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car had a tiny oil leak last year. I wasn't even aware of it (or aware that it had any oil) until my service manager noticed it and mentioned it to me. It was no big deal and they took care of it at my first annual service appointment. I think a seal needed to be replaced.

what color was the fluid? yesterday i noticed on our 2015 s60 there was a puddle of milky white dried fluid close to the rear tire on the driver side.

called tesla service but nobody picked up. left a message. need to follow up with them on monday for a resolution before driving this thing.
New thread may be in order for the question, but since you've revived this one already...

I suspect white to be the condensation from using the AC to pre-cool the car then later drying up. But I usually see that near the front. In garage is slightly uneven then maybe you'd get the condensation puddling near rear of car....

I recall the coolant fluid being greenish, maybe green-blue. And the transmission fluid should be oily in nature.

So I'm stumped re: what it could be if it is coming from within the car. Condensation collecting some stuff from the floor and puddling seems more likely.

They'd need to put it on the lift to check for stuff.

Yep, .. specially if it's dark oil... new oil is going to be clear and new looking. Something smells funny here, it might not be your car. Good call!

New MOTOR oil is usually, but not always, light in color. Gear oil is usually, but not always, dark in color. Transmission fluid is sometimes used for gear lubricant and is red in color. Copland can be blue, green, yellow, or red. All of those fluids, including coolant, will feel oily when you dip your finger in and rub between finger and thumb. Sometimes using a white paper towel to wick up some of the fluid can aid in color and fluid identification.

Yes, I've had lots of high mileage cars with various leaks over the years BT (before Tesla.)

- - - Updated - - -

COOLANT, not copland. Sorry for the typo, can't find edit function after posting.

I'm not sure if autocorrect makes me look smarter or stupid-er.

brake fluid? I wouldn't drive it...

Brake fluid tends to evaporate and the brake system would indicate a hazard. And it has a dual system so if one did develop a brake fluid leak, there would still be some braking through the other half of the split system. With Tesla's regenerative braking, it might be the safest car to drive in such a crippled state, but I wouldn't recommend it either.

Did it look like this?

From a scene in Alien:tongue:

alien[1].jpg

There is transmission fluid. It'll be very much like oil. Tesla only recommends changing it every 12 years or 150k miles so a lot of people don't realize that it's there. I have no idea what type of seal they have on the single speed transmission but that could be what's leaking. I'm sure they'll figure it out for you.

I thought the Model S didn't have a transmission... at least not in the normal sense. Why would it need transmission fluid?