Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D with four year warranty goes sub $50K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have been following P85D used prices, looking for my next model s. Finally, one falls below $50K with four year warranty and only 42K miles. Has anyone seen pictures, and if so, is it trashed? My P85 just passed 70K miles and one year of warranty left, so will be looking more seriously in early 2020, but cannot imagine prices getting more reasonable over the next twelve months.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I've been following them off and on this winter as well, and there are some pretty good looking deals out there at the moment - but like you, I wonder what condition they are in.

I have about 15k miles left on my warranty, so I was wondering if it would make sense to look at a move this year as well....

I bought a P85D for $50.5 about a month ago, had some minor dings and scratches, but overall good condition. I’m hoping that the depreciation is going to slow a bit now, but as Tesla keeps bringing out better cars and the P3D isn’t a whole lot more expensive than a used P85D and is also really quick I wouldn’t bank on the depreciation slowing down too much.

But either way, you should definitely buy a P85D, it’s awesome!

The photos they sent were of such low resolution as to be almost useless! My ten year old flip phone could take better pictures, making me think they are trying to deceive used buyers into thinking the cars are in better shape than they actually are. Bad form, Elon.

I thought the same thing about my car, junk pictures, couldn’t believe the low quality, but they were representative of the car and had close pictures of all the cosmetic issues. Though I think that will depend on the employee taking the pictures.

I've been following them off and on this winter as well, and there are some pretty good looking deals out there at the moment - but like you, I wonder what condition they are in.

I have about 15k miles left on my warranty, so I was wondering if it would make sense to look at a move this year as well....
Same here! I have about 11k left on my warranty and been waiting to get my hands on a P85D.

That’s a low price for the car. I had a P85D that I kept for a year and sold it for a little less than I paid (replaced with MX). Then the value tanked the past 3 years. I think the value will remain consistent as long as you keep it under 100k miles.

Food for thought: I recently bought a used 16 MS 75D facelift that was uncorked. It was sub-$50k. It’s remarkably close to P85D acceleration... especially at speed. I can consistently achieve ~3.5 0-60, at least according to my Power Tools app. Punching it anywhere between 40-70 feels the same as the P85D.

Reactions: rplace1021
That’s a low price for the car. I had a P85D that I kept for a year and sold it for a little less than I paid (replaced with MX). Then the value tanked the past 3 years. I think the value will remain consistent as long as you keep it under 100k miles.

Food for thought: I recently bought a used 16 MS 75D facelift that was uncorked. It was sub-$50k. It’s remarkably close to P85D acceleration... especially at speed. I can consistently achieve ~3.5 0-60, at least according to my Power Tools app. Punching it anywhere between 40-70 feels the same as the P85D.
We have both, P85D in Sport Mode drives similar to S75D (not in Chill Mode). Enabling insane or ludicrous makes P85D noticeably powerful (our only has ludicrous, but from days before ludicrous there was a difference between sport and insane modes).

I would imaging that the prices of S/X 75s might be going up in price as they have stopped taking orders for them. Until something comes out to close that price range, the alternative will be to buy a much smaller Model 3 or step up to the 100 kWh offerings.

We have both, P85D in Sport Mode drives similar to S75D (not in Chill Mode). Enabling insane or ludicrous makes P85D noticeably powerful (our only has ludicrous, but from days before ludicrous there was a difference between sport and insane modes).
I guess this is a rebuttal? I was referring to P85D in insane mode (mine only ever had insane mode)... and I’ll say it again, the two were remarkably close.

0-61 run at 40% SOC from ‘16 75D.

Attachments

• C8B66C64-72FB-4699-970F-0F11B78CD2E3.png
    C8B66C64-72FB-4699-970F-0F11B78CD2E3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
I guess this is a rebuttal? I was referring to P85D in insane mode (mine only ever had insane mode)... and I’ll say it again, the two were remarkably close.
Are you saying that sport and insane modes in P85D are remarkably close? Or are you saying that sport mode in P85D is slower than a S75D?

Having owned even an original S60, I can tell you that even S60 felt very fast. Whenever I would get a S85 loaner or P85 loaner, when I got back to the S60 is felt slow for first drive or an hour or so. Subsequent drives S60 felt super fast again. What I'm trying to say is that unless you drive them back to back, all Tesla's feel fast.

Quick update: Tesla is offering me about $49,900 for my standard S 85 with 25,000 on the odometer.

There is a P85D in my area for $53K but with 50,000 miles.

Worth the trade?

I would lose the rear facing seats. They come in handy but not essential .

Quick update: Tesla is offering me about $49,900 for my standard S 85 with 25,000 on the odometer.

There is a P85D in my area for $53K but with 50,000 miles.

Worth the trade?

I would lose the rear facing seats. They come in handy but not essential .

Pros:
speed and dual motor / AWD
Warranty update? Not sure what you have left on yours

Cons:
Sales tax? May want to factor that into the upgrade cost
Higher mileage (not a big concern but may effect above warranty question)
Rear facing seats
Have to deal w potential headaches with teslas CPO/ used program
Knowing the condition and use of yours vs a used one (if you took good care of yours)

Sounds like you need some change in your life, so I’m gonna encourage you to do it!!

Pros:
speed and dual motor / AWD
Warranty update? Not sure what you have left on yours

Cons:
Sales tax? May want to factor that into the upgrade cost
Higher mileage (not a big concern but may effect above warranty question)
Rear facing seats
Have to deal w potential headaches with teslas CPO/ used program
Knowing the condition and use of yours vs a used one (if you took good care of yours)

Sounds like you need some change in your life, so I’m gonna encourage you to do it!!
If FL does sales tax credit on trade-ins like other states, sales tax would only be on the price difference.
Also, the car might have plus suspension (pro or con, depending for whom), and possibly ludicrous (since Tesla doesn't advertise that anymore for P85D's).

• Informative
Reactions: MC408

Um, no. Your 75D did not do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds unless it was pointed 45 degrees downhill:rolleyes: The uncork update reduced the 75D from 5.2 to 4.2 seconds using the 1 ft roll out. The 100D uncorked which is MUCH faster is 0-60 in 3.6 seconds.

The P85D without ludicrous is 0-60 in 3.1 seconds...1.1 seconds faster than an uncorked 75D.

If you want an accurate 0-60 you'll need to use a tool designed to test that accurately like a vbox or something similar.

Power tools estimate of 0-60 can be off by as much as a half second due to both sampling and the fact that 60 MPH displayed/read is probably only 57 MPH.