Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85DL as a service loaner vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 3 years my P85+ just hit 25K so it was time for service. I also had a small list of rattles and other issues so I set up an appointment to drop off my car at the service center. I always brag about how much I love the handling of the + suspension and how I believe that it is so much better than a non + P85. So I guess it was my lucky day because the loaner car i got was a P85DL and although restricted to 80 mph, the acceleration is not restricted. AND they told me they would have my car for a few days.

Lots of new things to play with for me.... AP1, the "D" and of course the "L". At first I was not overly impressed but I am liking it more and more as I drive it.

AP1...not sure if it was this particular car with 34K plus mileage but the steering seems jerky while in AP.. i was speculating that maybe the alignment was a little off and that it was constantly making little corrections. I used it cruising at 65 and again when in complete stop and go crawling along the highway. I still don't know if I would use AP if I had it but it is cool how amazing this 3 year old technology is.... makes me wonder about 2.0 or 2.5. I also love the dashboard differences and the little shadows of the vehicles around you. I think this is not only cool but a nice safety feature.

OK.. just for the record I know the P85DL is way faster than my car but at first it seemed to me that the P85+ acceleration SEEMS more dramatic... when i test drove a D car the sales person mentioned that the AWD makes the acceleration "smoother" so like i said it SEEMED less dramatic. In fact to me it was not all that different and I liked my + better. THEN I launched from a dead stop... OK I get it now... the D adds traction that my + doesn't even pretend to have and the acceleration was sick. But then again unless you are driving like a crazy person from every traffic light it seems the P85+ for me is still more than enough and I get that same "Launch" feeling with the RWD. (just a second or so slower)

Handling... the loaner car has the square set up so it is not one of the first P85Ds that had the + suspension. In the past I have mentioned that the P85 (no +) was almost scary to drive compared to the "planted" feeling of the +. In my opinion the "D" helps with handling to an extent and I would judge the handling to be better than a P85 but still not as "on rails" as my P85+. This is the one category that I think the + still has the edge over every other Model S (for the record the P85DL has 21's and pilot sports and air suspension) and i know this may sound crazy but i feel like my + still had a smoother ride... again, it could be the loaner I have but i felt like the bumpy road near my house was more noticeable.

So yes I have a little bit of loaner car envy but I am sure once I get my car back I will fall in love with my + all over again.

@Markk993

Great observations and write up. You are not wrong in your analysis when it comes to the comparison of the P85+ to the PXXDL. Having driven lots of loaners I can say without a doubt that the P85/+ especially some of the earlier ones have much more "violent" acceleration than the newer cars. I think it has to do with the drive units old versus new and the software that they use to govern how the acceleration effects it. Whatever it is the P85/+ are very unstable in a good way compared to the more composed and focused newer cars thats what I think you FEEL is the difference. On the other side the pull of the front motor adds another dimension to the acceleration of the D's, and the way that I like to describe it is:

The P85/+ you feel the acceleration in your chest only
The D/L's you feel the acceleration in your chest AND your cheeks

D/L is definitely quicker but each provides a different level/sensation of acceleration. Its that reason I cannot downgrade from a P to a non-P model.

thanks BLK... In thinking about it, I have the same thing with my ICE car... I have a 1995 911 that I love to drive. The "refinement" of the newer 911s do not provide the same experience. Better, faster and more advanced but not more fun...

Handling... the loaner car has the square set up so it is not one of the first P85Ds that had the + suspension.

Just FYI, the staggered setup of the P85+ was only installed on some of the P85D(+) cars. A lot of those early P85Ds were sold with square 21"s or even 19" rims. The only way to tell if a P85D has the + is to look at the front shock part numbers.

Side note: Even my own P85+ had a square setup, as I de-staggered the rims (8.5"/245mm all around) to allow for better tire selection (Hankook) and tire rotations. Driving the same tires before and after the switch resulted in no perceptible difference in handling.

Reactions: bhzmark
THEN I launched from a dead stop... OK I get it now... the D adds traction that my + doesn't even pretend to have and the acceleration was sick. But then again unless you are driving like a crazy person from every traffic light it seems the P85+ for me is still more than enough and I get that same "Launch" feeling with the RWD. (just a second or so slower)
So judgemental! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ICUDoc
@BLKTSLA @Markk993
Based on your reactions to the P85D, don't test drive a P100D with Ludicrous. It will be an expensive drive. ;)

"Is it really noticeable -- the difference between P100D and P85D?" Definitely.

All of these transitions are significant (for acceleration):
  1. P85 -> P85D
  2. P85D -> P85D
  3. P85D -> P100D
I recently had a loaner P90D for a few days. I'd put the P85D -> P90D transition at ~2.3 on the scale above. (The scale isn't linear so that's not super helpful/clear though.)

Last edited:
@brianman

I've driven them all extensively and the improvements from variation to variation is noticeable however, there is a baseline of performance for the D models that once you've felt the P85D/L, the P90D/L isnt too unfamiliar and likewise the P100D/L. It is only really noticeable when you go from non-P to P and the power at about 150kw is where the performance/bigger inverter is felt. If you are comparing the PDL models then you need to make sure they are even to get a sense, either have them all with 19's or all with 21's and then drive them back to back, thats when you will see that the difference is noticeable just not as drastic as you would think or hope IMO.

@brianman

I've driven them all extensively and the improvements from variation to variation is noticeable however, there is a baseline of performance for the D models that once you've felt the P85D/L, the P90D/L isnt too unfamiliar and likewise the P100D/L. It is only really noticeable when you go from non-P to P and the power at about 150kw is where the performance/bigger inverter is felt. If you are comparing the PDL models then you need to make sure they are even to get a sense, either have them all with 19's or all with 21's and then drive them back to back, thats when you will see that the difference is noticeable just not as drastic as you would think or hope IMO.

Good to know.

I didn't expect that there would be a noticeable difference between the P85DL and the P90DL. It's posts like this that let me know that holding on to this car is a good move.

After 3 years my P85+ just hit 25K so it was time for service. I also had a small list of rattles and other issues so I set up an appointment to drop off my car at the service center. I always brag about how much I love the handling of the + suspension and how I believe that it is so much better than a non + P85. So I guess it was my lucky day because the loaner car i got was a P85DL and although restricted to 80 mph, the acceleration is not restricted. AND they told me they would have my car for a few days.

Lots of new things to play with for me.... AP1, the "D" and of course the "L". At first I was not overly impressed but I am liking it more and more as I drive it.

AP1...not sure if it was this particular car with 34K plus mileage but the steering seems jerky while in AP.. i was speculating that maybe the alignment was a little off and that it was constantly making little corrections. I used it cruising at 65 and again when in complete stop and go crawling along the highway. I still don't know if I would use AP if I had it but it is cool how amazing this 3 year old technology is.... makes me wonder about 2.0 or 2.5. I also love the dashboard differences and the little shadows of the vehicles around you. I think this is not only cool but a nice safety feature.

OK.. just for the record I know the P85DL is way faster than my car but at first it seemed to me that the P85+ acceleration SEEMS more dramatic... when i test drove a D car the sales person mentioned that the AWD makes the acceleration "smoother" so like i said it SEEMED less dramatic. In fact to me it was not all that different and I liked my + better. THEN I launched from a dead stop... OK I get it now... the D adds traction that my + doesn't even pretend to have and the acceleration was sick. But then again unless you are driving like a crazy person from every traffic light it seems the P85+ for me is still more than enough and I get that same "Launch" feeling with the RWD. (just a second or so slower)

Handling... the loaner car has the square set up so it is not one of the first P85Ds that had the + suspension. In the past I have mentioned that the P85 (no +) was almost scary to drive compared to the "planted" feeling of the +. In my opinion the "D" helps with handling to an extent and I would judge the handling to be better than a P85 but still not as "on rails" as my P85+. This is the one category that I think the + still has the edge over every other Model S (for the record the P85DL has 21's and pilot sports and air suspension) and i know this may sound crazy but i feel like my + still had a smoother ride... again, it could be the loaner I have but i felt like the bumpy road near my house was more noticeable.

So yes I have a little bit of loaner car envy but I am sure once I get my car back I will fall in love with my + all over again.

This is good info for me, as my wife has a 2013 P85+ and I recently ordered a 2014 P85D for myself. Wish I could get the L upgrade but apparently that is no longer an option. :(

I had a 2012 P85 Signature and couldn't stand the unstable rear end feeling. I paid Tesla to replace the suspension/tires/rear wheels to turn it into a P85+. It made a world of difference.

When the P85D came out I was amazed that the handling was even better. In particular, you can feel the front motor pulling you through the corner to counter the understeer that is inherent in all large sedans. Fortunately I got my P85D early enough in the cycle that it still had the stiffer + suspension.

I considered doing the Ludicrous upgrade mainly for 50-80 acceleration improvements, since Insane Mode was fine for 0-60. I was originally led to believe by Tesla that the quarter mile time would be reduced from 11.7 seconds to 10.8. When they changed that spec to 11.4 for the upgrade I decided it wasn't worth it.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight