Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the deal..

This only impacts P90Ds. There is a lifetime counter on launches. However, to count as a launch a bunch of crieteria must be met:

1. Launch mode must be on
2. SOC must be >90%
3. Perfect traction must be maintained. Any amount of slip will cause power to be reduced and it won't count.

The limit is 25 for the rear drive unit. If this limit is hit, power is reduced slightly resulting is a difference of 0.05s 0-60.

Basically, unless you regularly take your car to the drag strip and can manage to maintain perfect traction while meeting all or the other conditions above, this is a non-issue.

I encourage everyone not to blow this out of proportion.

Do you know if this applies to all P90D's or a certain version? (V1, V2, Refresh)

except that there is a shade of grey in that pack current reportedly gets pulled from 1600ish amps to 1500ish. The 1600ish value allowed the V2 P90DL to break into the tens in the quarter mile (touted by Tesla) for the first time. Backing that down to the 1500ish range pulls the car back into the P85DL range only with slightly better performance (less battery voltage droop on the P90 allowing for slightly more power than the P85 at exactly the same current draw). 1500ish amps still falls under the Ludicrous banner; its just not as Ludicrous as 1600ish amps.

except that there is a shade of grey in that pack current reportedly gets pulled from 1600ish amps to 1500ish. The 1600ish value allowed the V2 P90DL to break into the tens in the quarter mile (touted by Tesla) for the first time. Backing that down to the 1500ish range pulls the car back into the P85DL range only with slightly better performance (less battery voltage droop on the P90 allowing for slightly more power than the P85 at exactly the same current draw). 1500ish amps still falls under the Ludicrous banner; its just not as Ludicrous as 1600ish amps.

I wonder if Tesla also upgrades your P90DL badge to P85DL+ for free? ;)

Well we did beat on them hard to release a car to customers that actually reproduced the magazine results. They did and we are still bitching. We must be high maintenance owners.

By the way, good of you to bring that magazine results into the conversation.

With this new information, those impossible-to-reach magazine results (which magazine was it?) could be explained by the test car running a software version that was deemed too hard on the drivetrain for common use, but sent to magazine testing...?

Maybe P90DL V2 is not the first time Tesla has toyed with the software to give the car a boost beyond its capability to maintain over time (without seriously damaging things)?

Or Tesla decided that the price of the P100D is such that they can absorb a few blown drive units under warranty.
Come to think of it, this might also shed some light on the absence of any current offerings between 90D and P100D and the general removal of intermediate flavors like Performance without Ludicrous. You want a version that stresses the system in any way? $40+k extra please.

its an upgrade option for my existing car, supposedly that will be offered early next year. This is only available to refreshed p90dl cars... I'm sure we will get more details when its released but I was told this upgrade would provide the same performance as a new p100dl in my existing car
Tesla track record suggests the word "almost" will be inserted in the language before you can actually purchase.

• Funny
Reactions: Andyw2100
Come to think of it, this might also shed some light on the absence of any current offerings between 90D and P100D and the general removal of intermediate flavors like Performance without Ludicrous. You want a version that stresses the system in any way? $40+k extra please.

This makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I think this is all going to backfire very quickly. The attempt to improve revenue by upselling P90D buyers to a P100 is likely to be more than offset by the number of buyers bailing and getting a 90D or even looking to another OEM.

This coverup + the new limits on AP + the delay in AP2.0 function are all going to be huge stories when the normal auto press finds out what's up. The tesla fan news sites have been avoiding these topics because they realize how damaging to the brand this will be.

What can we do:
Collect more data so see whether P90DL2 are the only cars affected. Keep sharing data with each other. Hard data is so much better than speculations. So if you have hard data (Power Tools, Tesla communications, etc) PLEASE SHARE!
It's a bit more troubling. Some (most?) of the people that are able to collect such data and motivated to help the cause may be "self governing" to avoid triggering the hidden counter. One way to stop Tesla owners measuring the cars... penalize them for doing so.

It reminds me a lot of the capacity measurement issue. "I think I have premature degradation." "Only way you can tell is if you charge to 100% a few times." "Doesn't that make the degradation worse." "Yes." "Sigh."

Here is the deal..

This only impacts P90Ds. There is a lifetime counter on launches. However, to count as a launch a bunch of crieteria must be met:

1. Launch mode must be on
2. SOC must be >90%
3. Perfect traction must be maintained. Any amount of slip will cause power to be reduced and it won't count.

The limit is 25 for the rear drive unit. If this limit is hit, power is reduced slightly resulting is a difference of 0.05s 0-60.

Basically, unless you regularly take your car to the drag strip and can manage to maintain perfect traction while meeting all or the other conditions above, this is a non-issue.

I encourage everyone not to blow this out of proportion.
So it's a "25 only 10.9" car? That's pretty expensive per 10.9 cash outlay.

Also, this tends to suggest any "proven 10.9" car is likely really "former 10.9 car". Sucks for the resale.

I should also mention that last year I had a friend with a 2009 GT-R suffer a transmission failure. Despite being 3 years out of warranty Nissan decided to provide him with a replacement transmission for free (they are worth $20,000). The early transmissions simply weren't up to the task and it was great to see Nissan make it right even after all this time.
Stories like this make me almost want to donate a new Leaf to a worthy family needing transportation. Good for the EV cause, a thumbs up to Nissan for doing right by performance buyers, and good for a family in need.

It's upsetting that Tesla's track record (no pun intended) with Performance buyers evokes very different feelings from me.