Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well we did beat on them hard to release a car to customers that actually reproduced the magazine results. They did and we are still bitching. We must be high maintenance owners.
You are right! :eek: We never did ask for the performance to be repeatable, only to match the magazine results which were obtained in under 25 launches. ;)

To be honest I'm surprised a Tesla old timer like you is surprised. After over 3 years with Tesla, I've come to realize that the are operating on a bleeding edge, selling unfinished products (i.e. any feature promised via an update), which means there will be blood and bandages to stop the bleeding. This is the reason why they can get ahead of the industry so fast (SV disruptive startup model), unfortunately this comes at a price. If one wants bleeding edge, one has to pay and take the risk - cost of progress. Luckily, Tesla no longer just sells bleeding edge products - I'm about to pick up a new S60D which I expect will have no problems living up to my expectations. Or so I chose to believe to keep my blood pressure down after purchasing a car with 691hp, 85KWh battery, AutoPilot, ... ;)

Last edited:
You are right! :eek: We never did ask for the performance to be repeatable, only to match the magazine results which were obtained in under 25 launches. ;)

To be honest I'm surprised a Tesla old timer like you is surprised. After over 3 years with Tesla, I've come to realize that the are operating on a bleeding edge, selling unfinished products (i.e. any feature promised via an update), which means there will be blood and bandages to stop the bleeding. This is the reason why they can get ahead of the industry so fast (SV disruptive startup model), unfortunately this comes at a price. If one wants bleeding edge, one has to pay and take the risk - cost of progress. Luckily, Tesla no longer just sells bleeding edge products - I'm about to pick up a new S60D which I expect will have no problems living up to my expectations. Or so I chose to believe to keep my blood pressure down. ;)

...just stay away from that 75D update so you won't be disappointed... ;)

whitex,
No surprise at all. If the map and terrain differ, believe the terrain. I've now seen Tesla's terrain and no longer believe their map.

The post was a poor attempt at being sarcastical (an engineering term).
I know, so was my 1st paragraph. We need a sarcastical flag emoticon (an engineering solution).
sarcastical.png

It's not like this is an accident or laziness on the part of Tesla. This and the changes related to 8.0 were MARKETED to us as improvements with very little or no detail about all the negative changes.

At this point, I wouldn't trust release notes to provide honest change info.
Tesla haven't always been consistent (I wasn't able to google the pdf of the official 8.0 release notes), but for 7.1 they were pretty upfront about new restrictions added:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/release_notes/tesla_model_s_software_7_1.pdf

Edit: Found the 8.0 release notes. Although it doesn't go into detail, the new restrictions (on autopilot, not this particular issue) were pointed out in the first line under Autopilot:
Inside Tesla Version 8.0: release notes and screenshots
Version 8 Screenshots

I guess one change I can suggest is to make the PDFs available (or equivalently available on the car) before the update and easier to find (it seems now you only see the notes after the update is installed, so you have to wait for someone on the internet to screenshot them if you are iffy about an update). And I guess they should add a brief description of even minor changes to the end, so that as much of the changes is captured (for example this issue). I know this is sometimes not practical though.

Last edited:
I guess one change I can suggest is to make the PDFs available (or equivalently available on the car) before the update and easier to find (it seems now you only see the notes after the update is installed, so you have to wait for someone on the internet to screenshot them if you are iffy about an update). And I guess they should add a brief description of even minor changes to the end, so that as much of the changes is captured (for example this issue). I know this is sometimes not practical though.
On the car, definitely. There's an update, do you want to schedule or install it now? Touch here for the release notes.

Reactions: mmd and Tech_Guy
Here is the deal..

This only impacts P90Ds. There is a lifetime counter on launches. However, to count as a launch a bunch of crieteria must be met:

1. Launch mode must be on
2. SOC must be >90%
3. Perfect traction must be maintained. Any amount of slip will cause power to be reduced and it won't count.

The limit is 25 for the rear drive unit. If this limit is hit, power is reduced slightly resulting is a difference of 0.05s 0-60.

Basically, unless you regularly take your car to the drag strip and can manage to maintain perfect traction while meeting all or the other conditions above, this is a non-issue.

I encourage everyone not to blow this out of proportion.

Small edit:

2. SOC must be >85%, not 90% as I previously stated.

Once the limit is reached, the power limit is reduced to ~1500A

Well, they've lost me. I'll never get a P car again until they fix these things. (with a good trade in offer or whatever etc.).
I'm writing here, If I upgrade to AP2, it will be a 60.

I totally get that the 60 is a better deal than a 75 and the P100D is off your list due to the P "issues" but there are 6 choices in the Model S line. No interest in the 60D or 90D which still aren't P models but are above the minimum?

60D
75D
90D
P100D

Yeah, I wish they would just keep the car the same and never make changes. Stupid improvements.

No, you're missing the point. I'm up at 0300h-ish because I'm pissed off.

I'm about to trade in our barely-a-year-old P90DL for $40k+ less than the MSRP because every time I drive it now it feels like Tesla shafted me. The "P" upgrade alone, and the extra $10k for Ludicrous, add up to serious money, but now we find out that the performance examples given to the various car magazines were effectively "ringers" that won't perform as demonstrated in the years ahead.

That's cheating.

I don't mean to be a pill here, but I didn't expect Tesla to cheat, did you?

Perhaps you can find a mention of a "Launch limit" in any of these articles? Anywhere else?

I can't.

2015 Tesla Model S P90D - Instrumented Test

It’s a $38,000 upgrade from a base Model S 70 rear-drive version to obtain the most-potent electric motors, the four-wheel drive, and the long-range 90-kWh battery pack. Then add the $10,000 Ludicrous Speed option to enable the on-demand disappearing services.

Tesla Announces Model S "Ludicrous Mode" — 0-60 in 2.8 Seconds

The "Ludicrous Speed Upgrade" will cost an additional $10,000 on top of the $3,000 cost of the required 90 kWh battery pack (more on that in a minute).

No, you're missing the point. I'm up at 0300h-ish because I'm pissed off.

I'm about to trade in our barely-a-year-old P90DL for $40k+ less than the MSRP because every time I drive it now it feels like Tesla shafted me. The "P" upgrade alone, and the extra $10k for Ludicrous, add up to serious money, but now we find out that the performance examples given to the various car magazines were effectively "ringers" that won't perform as demonstrated in the years ahead.

That's cheating.

I don't mean to be a pill here, but I didn't expect Tesla to cheat, did you?

Perhaps you can find a mention of a "Launch limit" in any of these articles? Anywhere else?

I can't.

2015 Tesla Model S P90D - Instrumented Test

It’s a $38,000 upgrade from a base Model S 70 rear-drive version to obtain the most-potent electric motors, the four-wheel drive, and the long-range 90-kWh battery pack. Then add the $10,000 Ludicrous Speed option to enable the on-demand disappearing services.

Tesla Announces Model S "Ludicrous Mode" — 0-60 in 2.8 Seconds

The "Ludicrous Speed Upgrade" will cost an additional $10,000 on top of the $3,000 cost of the required 90 kWh battery pack (more on that in a minute).
Was launch mode added when the 90's came out? Seems like it was a relatively recent feature.

I long ago came to the conclusion that Tesla is (1) smart and (2) too smart for their own good when it comes to the business side of things. There were signs of this as early as my very first purchase from them in early 2013.

I bring this up not because I'm special or have any great insight but because Tesla does not need this type of ding on an otherwise exemplary record. Yea, I know their promise dates have issues as well but that comes from a good place. This playing fast and loose with the truth does not. Anyway, my goal is to get as much sunshine on the collection of these issues (and the collection is likely to grow) so as to make the practice impossible.