Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor point, but there must be a slightly different amp limit or voltage under load in the V3 vs V2 batteries, since we get 490 kW on V2 and up to 510 kW on V3.... I wonder if the software limit is in terms of kW or amps?

This is completely unsubstantiated, but I would guess that it's based on a kW limit because that's what the mechanical components would ultimately care about.
Whether it's 1500A by 340V or 1600A by 319V is only relevant to the battery, not any component downstream of it (assuming wiring conductors can support 1600A that is).

EDIT: there's probably ALSO a limit on the current to protect the battery, now that I think more about it..

I guess my view is tempered by my own personal experience. As a business owner, engineer, and a person who's led a (much smaller!) business through a period of rapid growth, I project and extrapolate from my own experience onto what I see happening at Tesla. And I am in absolute awe as to what they are accomplishing.

I now understand why I appreciate your posts.
For me it was an ME doing EE until I became full time responsible for operations. High growth is hard but there are right and wrong ways to do things. Handling the fatigue limit miss by quietly calling in customers that reach statistically significant limits and addressing their situation with an improved battery is less expensive from a PR, sales and maybe even warranty set aside standpoint. Notice the high road is more expensive via a maybe on the warranty set aside. That tells me the high road is better from a numbers sense.

I know Tesla can do better without hurting their forward progress and without deviating from the mission. It is my hope that some sunshine on this issue will move them there although, like good engineers are, they appear to be very hard headed.

Bill

I don't have an agenda in fact I agree that there appears something else may be going on here. I was just pointing out that you spun the facts to meet your own narrative. You just overdid by a few hundred decibels. ;). "Letter on high" = your requirement for a letter from Fremont.
Service invoice =/ letter from Fremont

I asked for the former, you represented as the latter.
Don't spin the facts to suit your narrative.

• Disagree
Reactions: msnow
Service invoice =/ letter from Fremont

I asked for the former, you represented as the latter.
Don't spin the facts to suit your narrative.
Sorry, but the facts speak for themselves. Your post #1121 "For now I trust a written answer emailed from Fremont than the oral answer from a service manager, but this guy seemed to try to defer to what computer told him in writing so is somewhat more credible." ;)

Reactions: smac
I think he is referring it my results and saying there is more in the car with further updates..... motor trend replied to his tweet that they would like to test, so clearly they have not run 2.34....

This is the tweet:

I think there is a misunderstanding. I expect what Musk is saying is that 0-60 in 2.34 seconds might be achievable in the "Special" (spec) Motor Trend car that Tesla rigged up "specially" (spec) for Motor Trend. :)

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and brianman
Had a conversation with Tesla today, it was indicated that the same system that monitors the stress on the powertrain exist for the p100dl as the p90dl. This info is contrary to the email I received previously on the matter, that exempted the 100 from these limits! Ludicrous mode, max battery mode, and launch mode are all monitored for driveline stress. They would not / could not confirm there is a counter but rather that its a system thats designed to monitor multiple aspects of the car and adjust performance based upon use ware and aging of the components.

In fact if I had to guess, the 100 will hit the limits quicker as its putting more strain on the components... but we would need more clarity from Tesla to get the full picture here all I was told was that it uses the same monitoring system as the p90dl in the p100dl

Basically on the newest firmware in a p100dl if you press and hold Ludicrous button you get the star field after 5 seconds like always but then you get that disclaimer that unlocks ludicrous + and 2.4 to 60 but also warns of damage...

Here's drag times video

Has anyone else noticed that anyone/everyone using a Tesla for drag purposes appears to be getting a new one on a very regular basis? While certainly possible from a competition perspective, my gremlin mind posits the following:

1. As anyone with a "High Vis" (YouTube, etc.) Tesla begins to approach any of the various counter limits, Tesla makes them "an offer they can't refuse" to trade up to the latest and greatest Tesla Model.

2. The traded-in Tesla is "software stripped" of its Ludicrous mode (and the underscore is physically removed) and sold off as a CPO or it becomes a service loaner for the rest of its days.

3. Thus achieving two benefits: Excessively public discovery and broadcast of the counter problem is avoided, and it also would help prevent whatever "weak link" problem that would have resulted in a major warranty claim sometime in the remaining 8-year/infinite-mile warranty period.

Just some thoughts . . . hope DragTimes will step in and share any insights, unless they all have to sign an NDA?

@Tech_Guy I think you probably are at that point now where asking for some professional legal advice has been reached.

You have tried to be cooperative, however you are not receiving calls, let alone any suggestion on how they will put your car back to as sold condition.

Clearly Tesla have been seeking legal advice on this (hence the new disclaimers), so for you to go down this route too is completely understandable IMHO.

It might be a simple matter of a letter from a lawyer gets things moving towards resolution, rather than Tesla trying to drag their feet hoping this goes away.

The problem is that many of us will end up in this place in the years to come, some when out of warranty.

Thus, the need for a class action if Tesla doesn't step up. Individually, it's a fool's game, combined, Tesla will do the right thing because they'll have to.

Smarter heads will prevail if they do this before any legal action. Since many of us hold bucket's of TSLA shares, let's be optimistic . . . .

Reactions: smac and Andyw2100
The owner called Tesla who checked the logs then told him power was reduced because he had exceeded counter limits. That is really all we know.

Given the nature of the changes to the P100 battery in addition to WK's work, I've speculated that it is bond wire failing which would be an avalanche or catastrophic battery failure. Allowing the batteries to reach this point would be irresponsible both from a warranty set aside and a PR point of view. The question is, how do you address the impending problem?

Easy.

Tesla buys back the P90DL's with really good trade in values, as in "too good to pass up." They change the firmware emasculate them back to conventional P90D's, remove the underscore at the back of the car, and they become CPO's and Service Loaners.

Easypeasy!

It's a win-win for Tesla because they'll sell A LOT OF US a new Tesla with the awesome trade in offer, and they now have a bunch more "warranty safe" cars out on the street that won't kill them in claims for the next eight years.

Great publicity, happy customers, more cars sold. What's not to like?!?

Reactions: AWDtsla
Has anyone else noticed that anyone/everyone using a Tesla for drag purposes appears to be getting a new one on a very regular basis? While certainly possible from a competition perspective, my gremlin mind posits the following:

1. As anyone with a "High Vis" (YouTube, etc.) Tesla begins to approach any of the various counter limits, Tesla makes them "an offer they can't refuse" to trade up to the latest and greatest Tesla Model.

2. The traded-in Tesla is "software stripped" of its Ludicrous mode (and the underscore is physically removed) and sold off as a CPO or it becomes a service loaner for the rest of its days.

3. Thus achieving two benefits: Excessively public discovery and broadcast of the counter problem is avoided, and it also would help prevent whatever "weak link" problem that would have resulted in a major warranty claim sometime in the remaining 8-year/infinite-mile warranty period.

Just some thoughts . . . hope DragTimes will step in and share any insights, unless they all have to sign an NDA?

Folks, the above rant, is proof positive of what binge watching too many old episodes of "The X Files" and "Conspiracy Theories with Jesse Ventura", can do to a human being if you lock him into a room, giving him no food or water, and make him watch it.

They've used a version of this technique at Guantanamo. Instead, using music there to torture detainees. Playing the same song over and over and over, blasting it into the cells of detainees. One of the songs used was Eminem's "Slim Shady"

Think about it. Somebody locks you into a small, damp, dark, cold, room, straight up butt naked, cold and shivering, hungry and thirsty, and relentlessly blast "Slim Shady" into that room constantly, over and over and over, all day long and all night long. Repeatedly and in a loop.......and pretty soon, all that you will hear in your head is "Slim Shady". Even though they've long since shut the music off. . .....After enough of that, you don't know whether the music is really on, or if it's actually off, and just playing in your head.

Watch this. I'm going to humor him.

Why yes, I've noticed the same thing.

You've probably also noticed, that if you look real hard at those YouTube videos, and towards the sky when you can see it in them, the presence of black helicopters.

Come to think of it, have you noticed that Brooks, from DragTimes, always wears black in his videos and is probably one of the Men In Black?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Sorry, but the facts speak for themselves. Your post #1121 "For now I trust a written answer emailed from Fremont than the oral answer from a service manager, but this guy seemed to try to defer to what computer told him in writing so is somewhat more credible." ;)

And since then I and others have said in multiple posts : drop it off as a service request. Read posts since then. But a letter from Fremont wld be more credible than a SA making stuff up. All of which is better than the massive speculation and imagination from the pitchfork jihadists on this thread.

Reactions: OnlyDataNoBS