Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kent to Glasgow yesterday.

Had a wait at Scotch Corner (8 bay) but only for 10 mins, but a constant stream of cars.

Gretna Services (4 bay) was a constant 3 car queue. The Ionity and Gridserve chargers were packed too. Needs an upgrade!

Recently returned from Cornwall. Darts farm Exeter was showing full for most of my journey on a Saturday. Stopped at Lifton at lunchtime for a quick halt and volt. All occupied but no Queue. Had to wait 5 minutes for a slot and then only 50kwh due to power sharing. 4 more model 3's showed up while I was there so I imagine some people were in for quite a long stop. All of which will surprise absolutely nobody familiar with that part of the country.
Bristol is an interesting one now if coming down the M5. You have a choice of Gordano 8xV2, Lysander road 6xV2, Cribbs 2xV2 + 12xV3.
Gordano tends to be very busy and not just the superchargers just getting to the services can be a challenge and then the shared V2 will be full and slow.
Lysander is pretty accessible from the motorway but no facilities so not great for a stop on a road trip.
Cribbs is in some ways a better choice if its busy with its 12xV3 and big choice of places to eat. The only problem is by the time you have gone to the toilet and sat down at a restaurant the car will be charged you will have to go back to the carpark to unplug. #firstworldproblems 🤣 fine if you are doing fast food though. It was where I stopped on the way back and was pretty quiet, chargers and dining.
Another option is the new Mollies American Diner just off the M5 at Cribbs. 5x50kw Gridserve in the carpark which is fast enough if you are having a sit down meal.
I actually stopped at the new Mollies Motel attached to the diner on my way down to Cornwall to give me an early start on the Saturday .£65 for an airconditioned room and 8 free 3phase AC chargers in the carpark so 11kw in an M3. Now THAT's how it ought to be. Highly recommended 👍

Recently returned from Cornwall. Darts farm Exeter was showing full for most of my journey on a Saturday. Stopped at Lifton at lunchtime for a quick halt and volt. All occupied but no Queue. Had to wait 5 minutes for a slot and then only 50kwh due to power sharing. 4 more model 3's showed up while I was there so I imagine some people were in for quite a long stop. All of which will surprise absolutely nobody familiar with that part of the country.
Bristol is an interesting one now if coming down the M5. You have a choice of Gordano 8xV2, Lysander road 6xV2, Cribbs 2xV2 + 12xV3.
Gordano tends to be very busy and not just the superchargers just getting to the services can be a challenge and then the shared V2 will be full and slow.
Lysander is pretty accessible from the motorway but no facilities so not great for a stop on a road trip.
Cribbs is in some ways a better choice if its busy with its 12xV3 and big choice of places to eat. The only problem is by the time you have gone to the toilet and sat down at a restaurant the car will be charged you will have to go back to the carpark to unplug. #firstworldproblems 🤣 fine if you are doing fast food though. It was where I stopped on the way back and was pretty quiet, chargers and dining.
Another option is the new Mollies American Diner just off the M5 at Cribbs. 5x50kw Gridserve in the carpark which is fast enough if you are having a sit down meal.
I actually stopped at the new Mollies Motel attached to the diner on my way down to Cornwall to give me an early start on the Saturday .£65 for an airconditioned room and 8 free 3phase AC chargers in the carpark so 11kw in an M3. Now THAT's how it ought to be. Highly recommended 👍
Great, live in Bristol so good to hear some more free chargers around :cool:

Great, live in Bristol so good to hear some more free chargers around :cool:
I think its supposed to be for guests only 🙂 so if you live in Bristol I cant see you using the hotel. at the moment you could park there is you were going to the diner or Miller and Carter but its a bit far away from anywhere else to be useful. They are just unlocked at the moment but eventually they will be linked to the hotels app. Still free I think, but you would only be able to activate them if you have a room

Reactions: btc1k
I drove from Yorkshire to Birmingham last Friday and stopped at the East Midlands Designer Outlet chargers near Mansfield on the M1 on the way. Was pretty surprised to find the chargers full with a couple of people also queuing as they're v3 chargers - first time I've had this.

Suppose it's to be expected with how popular the M3 is nowadays.

You can actually use Lysander facilities during office hours, the nice folk in the Tesla service centre have no issue with you wandering up to grab a coffee or a toilet break, all free.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
I drove from Yorkshire to Birmingham last Friday and stopped at the East Midlands Designer Outlet chargers near Mansfield on the M1 on the way. Was pretty surprised to find the chargers full with a couple of people also queuing as they're v3 chargers - first time I've had this.

Suppose it's to be expected with how popular the M3 is nowadays.
I always stop here as it's a free coffee as well as being V3.

Although last week they said the coffee was no longer free, gave me a voucher for 35% off, and it still ended up being free ;)

I always stop here as it's a free coffee as well as being V3.

Although last week they said the coffee was no longer free, gave me a voucher for 35% off, and it still ended up being free ;)
Yeah I was told it was 10% off by the lady at guest services, but it was actually free.:cool:

Might not last though... although they shouldn't be short of cash given the amount my Mrs managed to spend in the shops while we were charging! 🤣

Yeah I was told it was 10% off by the lady at guest services, but it was actually free.:cool:

Might not last though... although they shouldn't be short of cash given the amount my Mrs managed to spend in the shops while we were charging! 🤣
I guess that is the big problem for the new ones at Cribbs Causeway as well. 30 metres from John Lewis. Could be an expensive charging session. All I had to worry about up to now was the price of motorway services coffee!

I guess that is the big problem for the new ones at Cribbs Causeway as well. 30 metres from John Lewis. Could be an expensive charging session. All I had to worry about up to now was the price of motorway services coffee!
Is it not a bit like Supermarket Sweep? You set your charge level to 90%, and the good lady gets to hit the shops for that amount of time? 😂

come to northern Scotland, right now in the app availability is

inverness 6/6
Aviemore 4/4
Aberdeen 8/8
Dundee is busy, 6/8 :)

I did gretna a month back and had to wait 10 mins, only 4 there on a very busy route

If your in the Glasgow region then the ones at Eurocentral are great if you want a luxury lunch, it's in the car park of a nice hotel, opposite end of the scale to most supercharger locations.

Reactions: Adopado
I was at Darts Farm in Exeter a couple of weeks ago, both outbound and return journey required a 20 min wait to get to a charger with about 4/5 cars in the queue before me.

Equally have been to the Lake District and those chargers had good availability for all of my recharges.