Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would they charge non-Teslas more to use them, so there is at least some incentive to purchase a Tesla?
Tesla currently bill for the DC delivered to the car.
I assume this is by means of the car reporting what it received back to the mothership? or is this info transmitted back to the supercharger via the CCS and it reports it? I was under the impression that the actual superchargers are pretty dumb and the car did most of it but I could be wrong? If the car reports it back to the supercharger will they trust other cars to report accurately? I doubt it
If so it raises an interesting question of how the billing will work on other models. Will they have to switch to AC metering at source as everyone else does and does the super charger have the means to measure and report this without modifications? in which case even at the same cost other cars would pay more since they would be paying for the conversion loss which currently Tesla absorb.

Tesla currently bill for the DC delivered to the car.
I assume this is by means of the car reporting what it received back to the mothership? or is this info transmitted back to the supercharger via the CCS and it reports it? I was under the impression that the actual superchargers are pretty dumb and the car did most of it but I could be wrong? If the car reports it back to the supercharger will they trust other cars to report accurately? I doubt it
If so it raises an interesting question of how the billing will work on other models. Will they have to switch to AC metering at source as everyone else does and does the super charger have the means to measure and report this without modifications? in which case even at the same cost other cars would pay more since they would be paying for the conversion loss which currently Tesla absorb.
The supercharger controls the charge current, voltage and billing. It's just that it measures the current & voltage after conversion to DC. AC chargers necessarily measure the energy use before the charger so you pay for the energy lost (heat) in the charging system (which for AC is in the car).
For other makes of car they will have to use a phone app to activate and pay for the individual supercharger that they plugged into.

The supercharger controls the charge current, voltage and billing. It's just that it measures the current & voltage after conversion to DC. AC chargers necessarily measure the energy use before the charger so you pay for the energy lost (heat) in the charging system (which for AC is in the car).
For other makes of car they will have to use a phone app to activate and pay for the individual supercharger that they plugged into.
Hmm are you sure?. Until a couple of years ago Tesla charged only for what was added to your battery. i.e anything used by AC, Heater etc while charging was essentially free.
Tesla Adjusts Supercharging Cost To Include Vehicle Use While Charging

That means that the car must have been reporting what was added to the battery. i.e. the car was doing the metering not the supercharger.

Now they did change that a couple of years ago according to that article but I was still under the impression that it was the car that reported to Tesla what it had received. its just that now it reports the whole lot not just what is added to the battery.

The SC network was the sole factor in choosing a Tesla - other brands have better toys, better cruise control, better seats, and better reliability.

Its pretty clear from the latest AI day (mad robot aside), Elon is doubling down (or quadrupling down) on FSD. The amount of ££££ they are putting into FSD development is clearly above anything else they are doing, even more than R&D on car development.

The SC network will simply become another charging network. Demand I suspect will be controlled by pricing like everything else, £1/kWh and usage will be down to next to nothing - apart from freeloading S/X owners with 'free for life' charging :).

I'm slightly confused how Telsla can be required to open up privately resourced chargers. This is separate from the situation apparantly that happened in Norway(?) where there was some investment by the government.
Very easily. A government/EU can say “you’re not allowed to install any more chargers or use the power network unless you….”

The lesson of the story seems to be. Don’t invest billions in R&D and rolling out something which ends up better than everyone else’s because for the greater good we’ll make you give up your USP to others who didn’t…

Elon just confirmed again Tesla SCs will be opened up to all EVs starting next month in Europe first.
I don’t follow all the nonsense he puts out on Twitter, but has he actually directly confirmed it for next month or are you going off this?

either way, I can’t see how this is a good idea right now unless a whole bunch of extra Superchargers are going to magically pop into existence the day this goes live here

edit. Can’t see anything concrete from a reliable source, just posts like this.

further edit….

assuming this actually means opening up all existing chargers, I guess they are going to have to fit much longer cables too, I’ve seen e-trons struggling to get close enough to some of the other chargers already due to the location of the charge port, and I can only assume it’s even worse for the likes of the taycan and eTron GT due to the long bonnet and lower charge port.

Otherwise we’re all going to look forward to some chap in an Audi parked across three bays.

Last edited:
Its pretty clear from the latest AI day (mad robot aside), Elon is doubling down (or quadrupling down) on FSD. The amount of ££££ they are putting into FSD development is clearly above anything else they are doing, even more than R&D on car development.

The SC network will simply become another charging network. Demand I suspect will be controlled by pricing like everything else, £1/kWh and usage will be down to next to nothing - apart from freeloading S/X owners with 'free for life' charging :).
I don’t have any faith at all in the Musk’s efforts to achieve true autonomy. He can throw as much money at it as he wants, but where’s the evidence that he’s making any real progress that will result in an autonomous car appearing on our roads in the next few years? He certainly makes loads of promises, but his track record is of massively over promising, under delivering and consistently missing timelines.

But I’m very pleased that my next EV, which won’t be a Tesla, will be able to use the SuC network.

Reactions: Type2 and Yachtsman
What is the max charge rate for non- Tesla EVs?

BMW Mini 50kW
BMW i3 50kW
BMW ix3 150kW
Merc EQA 100kW
Niro 77kW
Polestar 150kW
Kona 100kW
Ford Mach-e 115kW
E-tron 120kW
I-pace 100kW
Citroen C4 100kW
ID3/4 125kW

So a V3 is wasted on most of the UK EV fleet who will arrive without pre-conditioning and hog a bay charging at 65kW. Great!

Reactions: CMc1
Very easily. A government/EU can say “you’re not allowed to install any more chargers or use the power network unless you….”

The lesson of the story seems to be. Don’t invest billions in R&D and rolling out something which ends up better than everyone else’s because for the greater good we’ll make you give up your USP to others who didn’t…

The government doesn’t own the power network they were too busy selling it all off in the 80s/90s. If Telsa enter a commercial agreement with a DNO to build out supply to a location the government can piss off

The government doesn’t own the power network they were too busy selling it all off in the 80s/90s. If Telsa enter a commercial agreement with a DNO to build out supply to a location the government can piss off
Even in the EU? E.g Germany? Remember, this can be spun as "Look everyone, we are legislating to prevent the confusion around different networks and their restrictive, anti-competitive practices. We want easy charging for all." Also, if I recall correctly Germany is putting a price cap on all charging so Tesla won't be able to go down the Ionity route there.

It looks like we won’t have to worry about M3’s hogging the chargers going forward based on the information I’ve just read in the daily mail “Win a £40k Tesla” competition.

Apparently, “Tesla’s superchargers can charge the Model 3 in just three minutes!”.

Am I not using the right setting when I charge? 🤣

CB8F6724-71D9-45A0-A4D1-8E3871ED51BE.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: MrT.
Apparently, “Tesla’s superchargers can charge the Model 3 in just three minutes!”.

Am I not using the right setting when I charge?

You can charge your car in 3 minutes on a Supercharger ... certainly not from 0-100% of course but you could add a few percent! Yes, it's nonsense. Anyway, what the heck are you doing reading the Daily Mail ... you can't expect a sensible article in there.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
The only reason I chose a Tesla was the SC network, especially when I can do 650 miles in day. I can easily do at least half again, that 3 times a week.

With no guarantee that I can roll in and roll out of a SC bay without having to queue makes it a difficult business car to operate.