Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the end of May I was at the Gretna services and only 2 of the 4 SCs were working and there was quite a queue - albeit orderly. It took 75mins before I got to plug in. In hindsight I should have driven slowly to the next set of superchargers.

The 350kW Ionity chargers on the same site were also in use - Polestars and iPaces - but I noticed they were more than twice the cost (69p /KWh). If SCs are opened to others then it’ll be interesting to see who changes their prices.

Perhaps selfishly, as a minimum I’d like a pricing structure where Tesla owners get a discount on their proprietary chargers.

As an aside, I’ve needed to use other chargers recently at destinations and have been shocked at how many owners (of other brands) have used electric charging spots as convenient parking bays (I.e. not plugging in) or leaving hybrid cars in them, plugged in, for many hours (I.e. not charging for most of the stay). It’s like people using disabled bays when they don’t have the eligible person with them. They should know better!! Mild rant over.

The high price for using Ionity chargers *is* for vehicles not in the "Ionity club".
Affiliated car users get free or significant discount using Ionity.
A year or so back there was a scheme of getting a modest discount on Ionity by using a free-to-join Maingau card - but things changed and the discount no longer applies. :(

It would be similarly logical to provide discount Tesla juice to Tesla owners and a more expensive rater to everyone else.

BP and other charger services already do that anyway - if you are in their club you get discounted charging otherwise pay a premium.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver and Doudeau
In this digital social media world, wouldn’t there be multiple YouTube videos by now if it worked? I can’t find any, and none of the bloggers I follow on there have managed to post about it yet. Not saying it’s not possible, but I get the feeling it’s a wind up at the moment. And as a previous poster mentioned, they would be full of non-Tesla EV’s if it was free for them.

The only reason I chose a Tesla was the SC network, especially when I can do 650 miles in day. I can easily do at least half again, that 3 times a week.

With no guarantee that I can roll in and roll out of a SC bay without having to queue makes it a difficult business car to operate.
Sounds like you need a different job, you must spend half your life either driving or stuck in a motorway que.

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k
Still think it's going to get worse generally rather than better over the next few years as more people make the switch. People who buy an EV, I think make a very informed decision of what they're getting into and appreciate that charging on the go whilst on a road trip is part and parcel of ownership. Charge points will have to increase HUGELY to cope with the demand over the coming years, I just hope this country is ready. I fear it won't be.
I think having an EV as a second car is the ideal scenario for me for now, but in my circumstances, a Tesla is one hell of an expensive 2nd car.
I've done it the other way round ..

Tesla M3P is my fun car / medium journey / home eco-system show off car

Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport SRI VX-Line 1.5 petrol Turbo (very low mileage) is now my hatchback Council Tip / hostile destination / wife driver-scuffing / supermarket dinger / unpredictable journey risk car. Much better than trading it in.

Happy to have both options 😁

Last edited:
At the end of May I was at the Gretna services and only 2 of the 4 SCs were working and there was quite a queue - albeit orderly. It took 75mins before I got to plug in. In hindsight I should have driven slowly to the next set of superchargers.

The 350kW Ionity chargers on the same site were also in use - Polestars and iPaces - but I noticed they were more than twice the cost (69p /KWh). If SCs are opened to others then it’ll be interesting to see who changes their prices.

Perhaps selfishly, as a minimum I’d like a pricing structure where Tesla owners get a discount on their proprietary chargers.

As an aside, I’ve needed to use other chargers recently at destinations and have been shocked at how many owners (of other brands) have used electric charging spots as convenient parking bays (I.e. not plugging in) or leaving hybrid cars in them, plugged in, for many hours (I.e. not charging for most of the stay). It’s like people using disabled bays when they don’t have the eligible person with them. They should know better!! Mild rant over.
Wait, you chose to wait for over an hour for a SuC instead of spending a tenner more by going to the Ionity charger next to it? Blimey, I envy your perseverance!

I've done it the other way round ..

Tesla M3P is my fun car / medium journey / home eco-system show off car

Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport SRI VX-Line 1.5 petrol Turbo (very low mileage) is now my hatchback Council Tip / hostile destination / wife driver-scuffing / supermarket dinger / unpredictable journey risk car. Much better than trading it in.

Happy to have both options 😁
But you have to drive a Vauxhall, I’d rather take the bus 😜

Wait, you chose to wait for over an hour for a SuC instead of spending a tenner more by going to the Ionity charger next to it? Blimey, I envy your perseverance!
Says the man with too many tenners.
OK I’m retired now but when working and earning (well) that £10 = £16.67 before tax @40%. That was in a business with 20% profitability, so £83.35p had to be earned from customers to give me that £10 in my pocket. OK so I could do that in a few minutes, but I still have respect for that poor sod's £83.35 and don't fritter it without a good reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: adsheff
Says the man with too many tenners.
OK I’m retired now but when working and earning (well) that £10 = £16.67 before tax @40%. That was in a business with 20% profitability, so £83.35p had to be earned from customers to give me that £10 in my pocket. OK so I could do that in a few minutes, but I still have respect for that poor sod's £83.35 and don't fritter it without a good reason.
Ah, of course you wouldn’t be earning those £83.35 sat waiting for a charger so the value of your time is very variable.
And unfortunately although my time is worth distressingly little, my impatience usually makes up for it ;)

Also…. Can anyone have too many tenners? ;)

Reactions: Beady3647
Ah, of course you wouldn’t be earning those £83.35 sat waiting for a charger so the value of your time is very variable.
And unfortunately although my time is worth distressingly little, my impatience usually makes up for it ;)

Also…. Can anyone have too many tenners? ;)
Presumably - if you value them so little.:)
I had to go to Shrewsbury today and since I get free charging (it ain't free at the price of my S) and since I can't get a leccy price below 20p/kwh here in't sticks, I ran on down to Telford for a top-up...probably added an hour and a half to my day for the £15 saved.
Incidentally, Telford was on high occupancy status - and I was the only one there!

It's a nice setup, Telford. Close to the facilities and 8 stalls, rarely full.
Would be nice to be upgraded to v3, as it's pretty much "the last post" for those heading into The Great Welsh Void.
Hope you had a nice day in the Shire :)
..nearest decent dentist - just pricey..
The great Welsh void is no more (well less so) with Flint Mountain and Aberystwyth. Flint is rather smart - haven't tried the Aber..yet
They have a dress code at Flint but put up with oiks in T-shirts and tatty jeans. Turbocharged hand driers and fancy taps in the loo.