Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Armor? / XPEL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah I have just the front done, but 8 months and 27k miles on my S, there are definitely a few scratches and marks etc...I've been mulling over the idea of a detailed paint correction and complete wrap over the remaining...

I had every bit of paint covered. I'm glad I did as there is already an ouchie in the paint armour above where the factory paint armour would have covered.

I'm planning to get the full XPEL wrap done at Goldwing Autocare in Ottawa. If anyone has experience with them, please reply or PM me. I'm planning to drop by and check out their work on other cars so I have some comfort that they do a good job. I'll report on the results here.

yeah I have just the front done, but 8 months and 27k miles on my S, there are definitely a few scratches and marks etc...I've been mulling over the idea of a detailed paint correction and complete wrap over the remaining...

I would recommend it. My detailer stated that the paint is very soft and sensitive. Scratches much easier than most other cars. He said that if you aren't careful about how you wash the car you will get halos and and ruin the paint correction.

I had the full wrap done by Goldwing in 2013 and they did a good job: wrapped edges where possible, clean-cut edges where they couldn't wrap and no bubbles. I would have liked them to avoid seams on the backs of the side mirrors and trunk lid - they said they couldn't but I've seen other jobs where they did. And they cut out a small piece at each front corner of the hood, so those corners weren't protected. They corroded (due to factory paint flaws, not because of the XPEL job) and Tesla got the hood repainted. When I had the film reapplied by Protex in Montreal, I asked them to wrap those corners fully and they did.

Overall, I'm REALLY glad I had the wrap done. It's so nice not to have to worry about scratching the paint when washing the car, brushing off snow, or even just bumping the car with something. After almost 5 years, the car still looks like new.

If you're fussy about perfect paint or if you want a show-quality look, paint protection film isn't for you. But if you want the car to look good and the paint to last a long time without having to be super-careful, XPEL is great.

Reactions: EVS Motors