Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ppf installer removed the front plate and chipped the paint . He installed the wrap on top of it without checking with me. I am so upset. Should I take out the ppf out and get it repaired?

1677951337611.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a disaster. He needs to step up by removing the PPF, paying to get the paint repaired, and then redoing the PPF. Shouldn't be any question about that.

Plus, it looks like he's not very good at PPF. Is he new at this? He has overworked the material right in the front where you see it.

1677954222549.png

Reactions: AMPd and Nickos
That's a disaster. He needs to step up by removing the PPF, paying to get the paint repaired, and then redoing the PPF. Shouldn't be any question about that.

Plus, it looks like he's not very good at PPF. Is he new at this? He has overworked the material right in the front where you see it.

View attachment 913780
He said the that shop was opened over 6 months ago. He said he is not going to pay for it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nickos
Is there any chance the paint was chipped before the plate was removed? It's also possible that the plate removal caused the paint to come off. The plate is held on with very aggressive adhesive tape. I have pulled the front plate mounting bracket off several Model S vehicles but did not have the paint peel. I used the fishing line technique along with heat, which is not stressful on the paint. Still, it could be the bumper had an invisible fault under the plate and when removed it caused the paint to peel. It also could be the vendor used the wrong approach to removing the plate, perhaps with some kind of metal tool that damaged the paint. Anyway, it's not entirely clear who is at fault. Not what you wanted to hear, but you could be blaming the vendor when it's really not their fault.

Not what you wanted to hear, but you could be blaming the vendor when it's really not their fault.
If the PPF installer was the one that removed the plate mount, I can’t imagine any scenario where it isn’t their fault.

Even if they want to argue that there was some sort of imperfection or flaw in the bumper that caused the paint to separate, the right time to do that would have been right after it happened, letting the owner know what happened and asking what they want to do about it. It’s inexcusable to just plow forward with the PPF install and give the car back to the customer hoping they don’t notice.

To my eyes, that pretty obviously looks like they just ripped the mount off without any prep. There’s zero reason for that to happen if you’re taking your time and doing things right.

Reactions: AMPd
The ppf installer removed the front plate and chipped the paint . He installed the wrap on top of it without checking with me. I am so upset. Should I take out the ppf out and get it repaired?

View attachment 913760
I can't fathom why when they saw that damage that they PPFed over it without talking to you. That alone is circumstantial evidence of wrong doing. Following up bad work with more bad work. I'd be pissed off to no end until they made it right. They just pulled on it ... no heat gun ... no fishing line!? I would think a young six month business would bend over backwards for good PR. Idiots!! On the other hand maybe it's not their fault they do bad work. Idiots!!!

I can't fathom why when they saw that damage that they PPFed over it without talking to you. That alone is circumstantial evidence of wrong doing. Following up bad work with more bad work. I'd be pissed off to no end until they made it right. They just pulled on it ... no heat gun ... no fishing line!? I would think a young six month business would bend over backwards for good PR. Idiots!! On the other hand maybe it's not their fault they do bad work. Idiots!!!
No heat gun.. No fishing line.. The car was in sentry mode and I have the footage too. I was watching it from the camera. There is a long list of issues with their work and lies.
1) They didn't even wash the car. Just wiped it down and applied ceremic coat. No paint correction or clay bar which they said they will.
2) He was supposed to coat interiors as well which he said he did. It's on the invoice as well. They didn't even bother to remove the pet cover before lying that they coated the interior.
3) They charged me to take the wheels out and do ceremic coating. Wheels were not removed. I watched from the camera and took a pic of the guy coating wheels without taking it out. When I told him, he kept lying. Next when I texted him the wheels are dusty and not coated, he said that's extra and wasn't included in the price
4) Rear tint has dust underneath
5) I asked them to do clear tint on the windshiled and he did 50%. He said he ran out of clear tint and will do redo it in few days.
6) Mirrors were not cleaned and wrapped.
7) No warranty card for xpel.

Sorry.. Just compiled a list on your reply so I can post it on google and their fb ads.

Last edited:
No heat gun.. No fishing line.. The car was in sentry mode and I have the footage too. I was watching it from the camera. There is a long list of issues with their work and lies.
1) They didn't even wash the car. Just wiped it down and applied ceremic coat. No paint correction or clay bar which they said they will.
2) He was supposed to coat interiors as well which he said he did. It's on the invoice as well. They didn't even bother to remove the pet cover before lying that they coated the interior.
3) They charged me to take the wheels out and do ceremic coating. Wheels were not removed. I watched from the camera and took a pic of the guy coating wheels without taking it out. When I told him, he kept lying. Next when I texted him the wheels are dusty and not coated, he said that's extra and wasn't included in the price
4) Rear tint has dust underneath
5) I asked them to do clear tint on the windshiled and he did 50%. He said he ran out of clear tint and will do redo it in few days.
6) Mirrors were not cleaned and wrapped.
7) No warranty card for xpel.

Sorry.. Just compiled a list on your reply so I can post it on google and their fb ads.
Yeah that’s complete horsepoop! I hope you get your money returned by the credit card company.
Unfortunately he also damaged your vehicle which isn’t going to be a cheap repair. Might have to fight them on that.