Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint color discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is actually SIG 100 from the original 2008 model year. It was the vehicle in Europe for the Daimler announcement and it is now in the USA. It was built and intentionally never sold. It has some special purpose that is unknown at this time.

It is unique in the sense that it is the only SIG 100 to get exterior carbon fiber upgrades.

The sign on the car says "Customer Car Do Not Touch" but that might just be the standard sign that goes on all of them.

by SIG do you mean VIN #? because I know the green car is # 100.

I searched google for a while and found nothing. Only one photo from the Daimler shoot.

Any idea where I could find the color code?

I would contact Tesla Motors at the Menlo Park store. Ask for Dan. He can likely tell you everything you need to know. Or contact the LA store if that SIG 100 Roadster is currently there.

I have several calls into the Menlo Park office. Next time I call I will ask for Dan.

Note that I did personally take these photos of the sig100 car at the LA dealer. No one there knew the color. not even the tech

I always assumed the lime green car in the LA showroom was painted a Lotus color.

It does look rather Lambo though.

Lotus_Elise_Florida_Beach5_th.jpg

Krypton Green

Electric Blue or Dark Blue Color - help?

Hi - I am getting very near to ordering up a 2010 roadster - I am sure like most I am having a hard time choosing color......Electric blue looks crazy nice - but I am afraid it may be too over the top in color - and was wondering if those who have seen it in person think it is an alright everyday color to have - or if the darker blue would be a safer color to go with. (safer in the sense that electric blue may be trendy and look odd in a few years)

any input very much appreciated..... Thanks. Kevin

but I am afraid it may be too over the top in color - and was wondering if those who have seen it in person think it is an alright everyday color to have - or if the darker blue would be a safer color to go with.

I know two local owners that have Electric Blue Roadsters and one that has the Twilight Blue. I like both colors, and I don't think that the Electric Blue is "too much". Mine is Brilliant Yellow, so brighter colors are my personal preference.

I agree with Dave, the Electric Blue is not too much. The Twilight Blue is stunning in bright sunlight but is quite dark in less light. Both blues were in our top four choices when we had to make the final decision.

I took some color calibrated photos of the color blocks at the LA store when we were deciding. They should be pretty close to right if your monitor is color calibrated, but still don't convey the richness of each color.

From the photos you can see how Twilight Blue changes radically with view angle even in the same light. In bright light, this highlights the contours of the car in a way that has to be seen in person to appreciate.

Ours is Radiant Red, which I love, but is the most popular Roadster color. By itself, it stands out wonderfully, but when you're gathered with a dozen other Roadsters and over half are the same Radiant Red the reds all blend together. I even came close to getting into the wrong car on one occasion.

I believe Electric Blue is the second-most popular color.

StenkB; Welcome to the Tesla Motors Club.

We have loads of pictures around the site of differnet cars together; that should help you compare and contrast.

As TomSax said, the electric blue does work; IMO it's not too showy and cuts a fine line between catching people’s attention and shouting. I think, as great as the orange is, that one does shout a bit; you need to be a Tesla fan to love it and, green or gray are a bit too ordinary for such a showy car. Another colour that cuts a good line appears to be the white; it’s a really good shade/depth and is very popular in Europe with Lamborghini, Porsche and Audi at the moment.

I picked Silver; that one is quite rare but for me really suits the high tech nature of the car.

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to find just what you all are saying - a color that fits with a high end sports car - but also doesn't shout show off too much. very good info so far......the more opinions the better........for me the hardest decision is not whether to buy one or not - its the color... haha :)

I had to check with my Style Consultant (aka girlfriend) several times before deciding. I had Electric Blue for many months, but as the deadline approached I switched to Twilight Blue. Then, in a last minute twist worthy of a Twilight Zone episode, I went with my custom color.

Each color change also precipitated many follow on discussions with Style Consultant about interior colors, much to her annoyance! Final choice; red.

I still think my original Electric Blue choice would have been just fine. (Also with red interior!).

Last edited:
very nice colors........im sure this has been discussed before - but does anyone know what the top 5 colors chosen are?

According to those who contributed to the owners delivery spreadsheet, in order of popularity, first the big winners:

Radiant Red
Twilight Blue
Very Orange
Electric Blue
Thunder Gray

... then a big jump down in popularity to these:

Sterling Silver
Brilliant Yellow
Glacier Blue
Obsidian Black
Jet Black
Fusion Red
Racing Green
Arctic White

If I could do mine over again, I would go with Fusion Red instead of Radiant Red.

One of my nearby Tesla friends has a Fusion Red Tesla . We happened to meet on the highway recently with both of us driving the same direction. It was only my third Tesla in the wild (when not meeting the local group).

Seeing a Fusion Red Tesla on the highway is an amazing sight. Especially when it wasn't a planned meeting in advance. It really just surprised the heck out of me with how good it looks.

Here I was driving my own Tesla Roadster and completely used to driving it every day. But my normal experience is from the interior and driving it. Actually having another Tesla come up behind me and pass me was quite a thrill, especially because it was so unexpected.

I am wondering if that is what others experience. Is it just me because I am a huge fan of this car? Or do other people (non Tesla owners) have this same experience when they unexpectedly see a Tesla in the wild?