Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Damage - What would do this to a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I went away last weekend and stayed in a hotel, Model 3 was parked in hotel garage for 2 nights. When we got back home, noticed weird splotch down the hood. I didn't think anything of it at the time - thought it would just wash off - but after a few days and a few times trying to clean it have discovered it does not rub off.
After first attempt to wash.jpg overall view.jpg
close_up_view.jpg

Tried scrubbing it last night and this morning - feels like the paint has been removed. It doesn't look like an intentional vandalism - it looks more like something very caustic was slowly drip-drip-dripping on the hood, and then running down. Anyone have any idea what could have done this?

After two or three attempts to clean it with hot water and scrubbing with a sponge - this is the best I can get....afraid to do much more or risk hurting the rest of the paint job. Thoughts?

After two attempts to wash.jpg

Havent tried a clay bar, actually not even sure what that is. I didn't want to try any more without taking it to a professional, but is this something I can pick up at a local AutoZone you think?

I let it soak it in hot/warm water with a wet sponge last night for about an hour, then tried rubbing it off with the sponge. Also tried warm water with Dawn liquid detergent, and also tried rubbing off with fingers, and scraping it off with fingernails, but no success. Cant tell if it is something on top of the paint or if this is what is left after the paint underneath is gone. The texture is abrasive - like 200 grit sandpaper. I have a difficult time imagining how hard water could do this in two days.

I think if we have to get it repainted....this could be my excuse to get a racing stripe down one side.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
Havent tried a clay bar, actually not even sure what that is. I didn't want to try any more without taking it to a professional, but is this something I can pick up at a local AutoZone you think?

I let it soak it in hot/warm water with a wet sponge last night for about an hour, then tried rubbing it off with the sponge. Also tried warm water with Dawn liquid detergent, and also tried rubbing off with fingers, and scraping it off with fingernails, but no success. Cant tell if it is something on top of the paint or if this is what is left after the paint underneath is gone. The texture is abrasive - like 200 grit sandpaper. I have a difficult time imagining how hard water could do this in two days.

I think if we have to get it repainted....this could be my excuse to get a racing stripe down one side.

If it was mine I would take it to a reputable detailer before trying anything else. You can see that you have already scored the paint quite badly using friction. Parking garages are notoriously bad. Like mentioned, rusty water or a calcium deposit. Calcium dries hard like that. A detailer can use a range of compounds to slowly try to remove it. The clear coat may or may not be ok underneath. If not your looking at a hood repaint. Good luck and let us know.

Reactions: Wahbash
I had something similar happen to my BMW while parked in a parking garage a couple months ago. Dripped on the roof and on the rear window, looked very similar to yours. I was able to scrape it off the window with a razor blade, and got some off the roof with my fingernail. Gave up trying when I ordered my 3 and knew I was going to trade the BMW. Anyway, the point is that if it's the same stuff I was dealing with, it should come off. If I was keeping the car, I would have taken it somewhere to see if they could polish it out.

• Helpful
Clay bar should do the trick. Almost any auto parts store will have a kit. There's a spray lubricant and a literal bar of clay. Smash it down to a flat little pancake and spray the lubricant and go over with back and forth motions. There are tons of YouTube videos of people showing how to use them in their exotic cars

yes, you should be able to find at auto parts store

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-0724...=clay+bar+kit&qid=1555625798&s=gateway&sr=8-4

its about $15-20. i would give this a try before spending more money at a detailer. if its on the surface of the paint, run your nail over it, you should either feel your nail getting caught(on surface) or dip into something(paint missing), a clay bar will be able to remove it. you basically go over the area a few times in circular motions and you should start to see results. keep the surface lubed while doing it. do not use something like detergent or dish wash soap, that is too aggressive for car paint.

Has anyone thought that someone might have dropped an egg on the hood out of spite? Just looking at the circular spot and the run of material down the hood it might look something like that. If you let an egg sit on the paint long enough, it will eat the clearcoat and finally the basecoat. Kid's used to "egg" cars around Halloween and if you didn't get it off pretty quickly, your paint was ruined. Just another possibility.

That’s what hard water from corroded pipes will do. I agree with member who suggested calcium. It’s not an egg. I’ve had that issue, and you’ll see perforations from eggshell.

OP, you could try clay bar per instructions or good detailer (not body shop!!! They will try to convince you it needs repainting!!!). Do that ASAP, time is not your friend! But don’t do any more experiments with sponges, fingernails, or dish soap.

UPDATE:

Took it to one of the most reputable body shops in our area this morning. Their conclusion was that it was indeed calcium, likely dripping from a pipe. Congrats to those above who guessed it - I had no idea hard water could do that. They worked on it for about an hour, and got it *almost* new again...unfortunately it appears to have eaten through the clearcoat and so you still get this "ripple" in the paint all the way down the hood.

Probably going to look into a "racing stripe" paint job to cover it, or a racing stripe vinyl wrap. I figure if I have to spend money to fix it, might as well do something fun. What I don't know is if insurance will cover repainting if I do something custom like that, or if I have to put it back to original....

IMG_20190419_094447.jpg
IMG_20190419_094437.jpg

Probably going to look into a "racing stripe" paint job to cover it, or a racing stripe vinyl wrap. I figure if I have to spend money to fix it, might as well do something fun. What I don't know is if insurance will cover repainting if I do something custom like that, or if I have to put it back to original....

Re: Insurance. If you want them to pay for it you would have to return to original. Unless you get your additions added as a rider.

That depends. Often you can get a quote for the repair and the insurance company will just write you a check for that amount if they believe it is reasonable. Then it is up to you to decide if you want to go back to original, put a racing stripe on, or just pocket the money.

@Wahbash I have seen people contact the parking garage in cases like this and the garage, or their insurance, paid for the repairs. (Some will hide behind a we're not responsible for anything that happens clause, others do the right thing.)

Reactions: tracksyde