Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint - Is it thin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I contacted a local workshop regarding wrapping my centre console and tinting my back windows.

He has “suggested” a front wrap on the car as Tesla paintwork is very thin.

Is this right or just a shameless up sell?

Also - about £1000 for dechrome and tints? Sound reasonable? Anyone any experience of dechrome? Do you risk damaging anything obvious?

anecdotally, yes. In reality, like most thing Tesla I imagine its consistency which is the main issue. It probably varies quite a bit between vehicles or even places on the same vehicle.

also; yes wrap your own console

He makes it looks so easy, but no way would I be taking a blowtorch inside my car.

Very good straight forward video.
It must be easy I managed it. No blowtorch required. A hair dryer was more than adequate. a good thin very sharp craft knife helps though and some good quality vinyl.

20191201_160611.jpg
20191201_160720.jpg

Attachments

• Photos (2).zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: j1mgg
Paint generally on cars is much less durable these days since they all changed to water-based paints. I’ve not bothered with any PPF or anything, preferring to use a good quality wax, and after 10k miles I can see no paint damage on my car.

As for the console wrap, it really is easy to do. I bought one from Abstract Ocean, after failing miserably with a cheap eBay one. The AO wrap is excellent, and comes in a wide range of finishes. I’m afraid a scalpel and a sheet of vinyl just isn’t for me, each to their own ;) If you decide to order anything from AO, DM me for a $10 off $50 code.

DAD5B740-D84C-4730-A64E-03A014AF70F6.jpeg