Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY brake clean and lube

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’m planning to follow the service manual to do the brake caliper clean and lube.

I wondered if anyone knew where to find out what is the “Tesla approved brake cleaner” and “Tesla approved brake lubricant”?

I also noticed that the Performance front brake calliper instructions say to replace the bolts - presumably I email my local service centre to order them?

How do I find out what the Tesla approved products are? Do Tesla sell suitable products, or can I ask the service centre - and if so how do I contact them?

I’ve had no luck communicating with the Tesla Shop about an issue with the Model 3 Paint Protection film, and it seems very difficult to communicate with anyone at Tesla.

Reactions: PITA
Any particular reason why you fancied cleaning them? Generally I would say if there's no issues with them then leave them alone to prevent any issues arising!
Obviously if the pads are worn and need replacing or it's squeaking then yeh you might as well

Reactions: boombap
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance Brake Caliper Bolts

Bolts that attach the front brake caliper to the knuckle

Part Code : 1088969-00-B

Need to order these through the Tesla App, as a Service Request. Tell them you need the caliper bolts and how many you want.
They will then get back to you with a cost.

You book your car into their service diary, pay in advance by accepting their estimate bill, then turn up and collect your Bolts when they tell you they're ready for collection.

It cost me £7.68 for 16 Bolts. I ordered more than I needed for regular servicing.

2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance Brake Caliper Bolts

Bolts that attach the front brake caliper to the knuckle

Part Code : 1088969-00-B

Need to order these through the Tesla App, as a Service Request. Tell them you need the caliper bolts and how many you want.
They will then get back to you with a cost.

You book your car into their service diary, pay in advance by accepring their estimate bill, then turn up and collect your Bolts when they tell you they're ready for collection.

It cost me £7.68 for 16 Bolts. I ordered more than I needed for regular servicing.
Thanks - that’s really helpful.

Something else I found which might be useful in time... a device which allows you to fully retract the pistons for new pads.

Tevo EPB Service Cable

Quote>>>

If you want to fit new rear brake pads to your Model 3, the electronic parking brake (EPB) adjuster needs to be fully retracted before you can push the piston back into the caliper. Just putting the car into 'tow mode' won't allow this.

This handy cable allows you to use a standard PP3 9V battery to operate the EPB motor attached to the rear caliper and fully unwind the mechanism before using a pad spreader to push the piston back.

Once the new pads have been fitted and the caliper is re-attached, simply reconnect the EPB harness. It will self-adjust for the new pads.

Operation:

Ensure the car is in tow mode and you've heard the EPB motor unlock the rear wheels. Check the rear hub turns freely.

Unplug the connector from the EPB motor on the caliper (before or after removing the caliper) and plug in the Tevo EPB service cable.

Connect a 9v battery to the service cable and you will hear the motor wind back fully and then stop.

Unplug the Tevo EPB service cable from the motor.

Now you can use a pad spreader to push the piston back into the caliper and install new brake pads.

Re-attached the caliper and plug the EPB connector back in. When you exit tow mode, the EPB will re-calibrate to the new pad thickness.

Last edited:
Something else I found which might be useful in time... a device which allows you to fully retract the pistons for new pads.

Tevo EPB Service Cable

Quote>>>

If you want to fit new rear brake pads to your Model 3, the electronic parking brake (EPB) adjuster needs to be fully retracted before you can push the piston back into the caliper. Just putting the car into 'tow mode' won't allow this.

This handy cable allows you to use a standard PP3 9V battery to operate the EPB motor attached to the rear caliper and fully unwind the mechanism before using a pad spreader to push the piston back.

Once the new pads have been fitted and the caliper is re-attached, simply reconnect the EPB harness. It will self-adjust for the new pads.

Operation:

Ensure the car is in tow mode and you've heard the EPB motor unlock the rear wheels. Check the rear hub turns freely.

Unplug the connector from the EPB motor on the caliper (before or after removing the caliper) and plug in the Tevo EPB service cable.

Connect a 9v battery to the service cable and you will hear the motor wind back fully and then stop.

Unplug the Tevo EPB service cable from the motor.

Now you can use a pad spreader to push the piston back into the caliper and install new brake pads.

Re-attached the caliper and plug the EPB connector back in. When you exit tow mode, the EPB will re-calibrate to the new pad thickness.

It’s not a completely terrible price, and they probably aren’t selling hundreds let alone thousands - but it still a good markup for a 9V battery and amphenol 2-pin connector 😅

Reactions: bilbomacuser
How do I find out what the Tesla approved products are? Do Tesla sell suitable products, or can I ask the service centre - and if so how do I contact them?
Nothing particularly special about Tesla brakes, you could use any reputable brake cleaner to clean them up - then a high temperature grease for specifically for brakes any sliding surfaces, caliper pins etc - just not the face of the pads or discs. 🤣

Once upon a time mechanics would have just used a copper based grease but modern brakes are better with inert silicon / ceramic-based greases that can withstand the temps, and not interfere with any EBS/ABS sensors.

Don't know if this is useful or not... but when I cleaned my Brembo Calipers today, I jacked the car up with two Halfords Professional 3 Tonne trolley jacks.

To secure the jacks each side, I cut two 8 inch long blocks of treated wood.

These sit under the trolley jack pivot head, and allows the jack to rest on them slightly.

Note: the wide angle lens photo makes the wood appear at an angle... but it's actually straight.

Takes a bit of the weight off the jack hydraulics, and offers a fail safe.

Worked well.

Screenshot_20231107_211539_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_211547_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231107_211606_Gallery.jpg

Once upon a time mechanics would have just used a copper based grease but modern brakes are better with inert silicon / ceramic-based greases that can withstand the temps, and not interfere with any EBS/ABS sensors.
Yeah, copper grease is fine for non moving parts (e.g. the back of the pads to minimise squeal) or on the wheel/hub mating surfaces to stop corrosion/seizing but it isn’t a lubricant so shouldn’t be used on sliding pins.

I noticed that when using scissor jacks with the 'pucks' the pucks became distorted (badly) under load until after I took the jack away - where they reverted to their normal shape(s). Is this normal?

Depends...

They're designed to 'squish' to some degree. But if the scissor jack contact patch is small, they could start to fail pushing into the puck rather than supporting it. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

In my pictures above, the jack contact patch is a large flat circular plate. So the weight is evenly spread across the puck.

Last edited:
Yeah, copper grease is fine for non moving parts (e.g. the back of the pads to minimise squeal) or on the wheel/hub mating surfaces to stop corrosion/seizing but it isn’t a lubricant so shouldn’t be used on sliding pins.

On the Performance Brembo Calipers I used Copper Grease on the brake caliper abutment flats only. Then a smear on the pad backplate side edges only, that connect with the caliper abutment flats.

No grease on the pad backing plate (you will risk contaminating the piston rubber seals if you do that), and none on the pad retaining bolt sliders.

Last edited:
Thanks PITA. I'll glue some steel circular plates to the pucks.

Just consider that you don't want the jack to slip or slide. If the jack isn't anchored correctly it could fail.

I hate scissor jacks. Never liked them.

I find these Halfords Professional 3 Tonne trolley jacks to be ideal. As they're low access, lift high, and can be chocked underneath.

PITA - I agree, in the perfect world I would carry my low profile 3 tonne hydraulic jack everywhere with me but for obvious reasons - it is not practical adding it to my spare wheel kit - so I have finally opted for 1 x scissor jack and a wooden ramp to drive the car up onto - to give me sufficent clearnce to get the jack under the car! Then I can get the wheel off.

Hi,

I’m planning to follow the service manual to do the brake caliper clean and lube.

I wondered if anyone knew where to find out what is the “Tesla approved brake cleaner” and “Tesla approved brake lubricant”?

I also noticed that the Performance front brake calliper instructions say to replace the bolts - presumably I email my local service centre to order them?

I’ve had no luck communicating with the Tesla Shop about an issue with the Model 3 Paint Protection film, and it seems very difficult to communicate with anyone at Tesla.
did you end up doing this and replacing the big bolts? also the t20 torx? what are the torque specs for these?? thanks!!