Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Issues during delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was taking delivery at the manhasset tesla office in ny. The paint had issues all over the car many that would require repainting or in the least some sanding. The staff were very friendly but kinda dismissive and used to this condition. They were fair and honest about issues but its sad how normal it seemed to them. I rejected the car and am now awaiting a reassignment but If the new one is anything like the old I will have to pass. I am curuous has anyone gotten a perfect one? Just wanna make sure im not wasting my time...if there was one defect and one panel I would be ok with it

thanks
Rob

Mine had several defects in the paint, trim and gaps. The only reason I took delivery was the fear of not getting a replacement car before the end of the year. After the visit to the Tesla approved body shop, the car finally looks like a new car should.

None of them are perfect. Only ones that are close are reported by people that don't know what to look for, IMO... :)

Best you can do is look them over really good and find one you can live with. I wouldn't accept one and send it off to the body shop to be potentially corrected potentially jack-legged.

(Tesla's have not been and are currently not about perfect fit and finish. Maybe someday.)

Any pics?

Here's a couple.....

fullsizeoutput_677.jpeg
3tM%sXuyQhS75UNpW%%dTg.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Since I took delivery outside in the rain, I didn't notice several of the defects. The second pic shows a large grain of sand imbedded into the paint. I thought for sure the body shop would just use touch up paint on the scratches, but the panels were resprayed.

Wow that's pretty bad...I'd be embarrassed trying to deliver that to someone who bought a new car.

Delivery Advisor was trying to rush us too. I will say Tesla was gracious in adding all the defects to my "Due Bill". I had to wait 2.5 months to get the car fixed and I found several more defects while waiting for the body shop appointment.

Here is another. Mobile Tesla tech said it was caused by dirt in the paint booth. The spots are under the clear coat.
zMR3%GqpQsW2GyZ5jaEWXQ.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Hearing all these stories time and time again, makes me start to think it's time for Musk to step aside. He was revolutionary in his idea and what he brought to life, but Tesla needs a seasoned CEO when it comes to quality control, systems, service, parts, customer service, training, etc.