Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint problem: corrosion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all

It looks like I have another paint issue on my car. It's a MS build 12/2019, with about 2.000 km.
It's always parked inside a garage and really in an excellent condition.

Trunklid.jpg

However, after looking to the trunklid, it seems out of a sudden there is some corrosion on the car paint (photo attached). The trunk isn't scratched, no dents,...

I've already made an appointed to my local Tesla Service point.

The question is whether someone has had the same problem?

(Additional info: Two doors were already repainted because of 'cracking' paint. The rear bumper was repainted because of bad alignment of the trunk lid, which caused some scratching on the rear bumper)

Thanks for helping!

I have something similar at the edge of one door. Did you eventually get this fixed? I contacted Tesla SeC. Their first reaction is that such body issue are not theirs to handle.
I was wondering: is the body not in aluminum and covered by 10 years warranty or something ? Anyone has some info on this?

IMG_4936.jpeg

😂 Disappointing for me: I was naively believing that the body being aluminium, I didn't have to worry about that.
At the same time, I've see similar "sickness/corrosion" on alloy wheels in the past. And some of my original 19" Tesla wheels (from 2015) are also having similar issues. I just did not expect body to be affected too at some point.

Nothing last forever I guess.

😂 Disappointing for me: I was naively believing that the body being aluminium, I didn't have to worry about that.
At the same time, I've see similar "sickness/corrosion" on alloy wheels in the past. And some of my original 19" Tesla wheels (from 2015) are also having similar issues. I just did not expect body to be affected too at some point.

Nothing last forever I guess.
No, this is a quality control problem. I don't know of many issues with other aluminum body vehicles having contaminants under the paint and showing degradation, particularly this soon. Tesla's paint shop has always been marginal in quality. I guess we are lucky when the whole car has paint on it when new.