Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this exactly on my brand new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

On my three week old Model Y I started noticing what looks like lines of dents/scratches on my rear passenger door. It's clearly visible during daylight and in the night it's visible if I put a flashlight on it. It's not actual dent or scratches because I don't feel anything like that when I touch it so to me it looks like paint issue. Has anyone had this issue like this? Unfortunately next available appointment is in December.

Any insight would be really helpful .

Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20231021_132024386.jpg
    PXL_20231021_132024386.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 256
  • PXL_20231021_132031402.jpg
    PXL_20231021_132031402.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 196
  • PXL_20231021_132015061.jpg
    PXL_20231021_132015061.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 192
  • PXL_20231021_132647130.jpg
    PXL_20231021_132647130.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 201
Sorry, but my initial thought is "operator induced", since the car has been in your possession for 3 weeks. I'm afraid that's what any dealer would say.

That said, I'd carefully wash the car and try to gently buff the area with a micro fiber cloth, dry, then damp. If you can't do that, or if you're not comfortable doing that, a quick visit to a reputable detail shop might be necessary. They know more about this sort of thing than most of us.

While you're at it, have an appropriate shaped PPF placed on the rear doors, in front of the rear wheel flare. This area is prone to getting blasted by road debris.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Do you have cats? Looks like cats did that.

I bet it washes out, with maybe a bit of extra effort around there.

At 3 weeks old I'd just use plain water and micro fiber cloth, no cleaners yet. I still wait 90 days before using any cleaners or chemicals on new paint.

Hi,

On my three week old Model Y I started noticing what looks like lines of dents/scratches on my rear passenger door. It's clearly visible during daylight and in the night it's visible if I put a flashlight on it. It's not actual dent or scratches because I don't feel anything like that when I touch it so to me it looks like paint issue. Has anyone had this issue like this? Unfortunately next available appointment is in December.

Any insight would be really helpful .

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your response.

1) I don't have cats so those are not from cats.
2) Most of the time I have parked in my driveway and few times at work but always Sentry mode ON excluding home. So nothing from school kids backpacks.
3) And I did not take my MY to any car wash yet.

A couple of posts mentioned about buff marks and I have to take it to a detailer. I might have to go that route and find out if that will fix my issue. Again, those lines are visible only in direct sunlight. If I park it under a shade its not visible. I honestly don't know how I could have missed it in my three weeks of owning this vehicle which makes me think maybe it appeared recently? Those are not scratches because like I said in my first I don't feel anything when I touch them. Its as if those lines are in between that rear door.

I still plan to go the Tesla service center through an appointment but I have to wait until Dec so meanwhile I plan to get an opinion from a detailer.

Very annoying, upsetting and disappointing every time I look at those lines/dents :-(

Reactions: Pianewman
No I have not tried that.
The reason I say that is because our new Model Y had some marks somewhat similar on the hood but the rest of the car was fine. It was faint like yours and visible only at certain times. I did a claybar on the whole car because even though the paint was smooth, it was not "slick". Marks went away. While I was at it, I did a ceramic coating.

Wish it was just that!
The reason I say that is because our new Model Y had some marks somewhat similar on the hood but the rest of the car was fine. It was faint like yours and visible only at certain times. I did a claybar on the whole car because even though the paint was smooth, it was not "slick". Marks went away. While I was at it, I did a ceramic coating.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Take it to a detailer. It looks like orbital polisher burn marks on one of the photos.
Yes its swirls due to aggressive polishing. Most likely someone in make ready trying to fix a paint issue of some sort. I wouldnt take it back to the SC personally as they are not detailers. If you dont have the skills or equipment to paint correct the area, I would look up reviews for good detailers in your area. Show them the specific area of concern and they will know exactly what to do.

Thanks again for more responses.

I managed to get an informal appointment with Tesla SC but unfortunately nothing useful came out of it. The employee made me wait saying her painter will take a look at my car. After an hr of wait I went in and asked how much longer I need to wait. She then walked over to her painter and came back and told me he is not going to look because he thinks its not fixable at the SC. I requested again to just take a quick peek but nope and she also said if it is not brought with 24 hrs Tesla won't cover the cost of repair/paint. She also said her team may not be skillful enough to fix it although I kept insisting just to take a look. I guess its fair they didn't because this was not an official appointment but she also said if I come back with an official appt it will be the same answer. She simply said it is within their spec and asked me to take the car to a body shop or a detailer. She also said if it is just reflection just don't do anything and live with it. Well, I wonder if she would have lived with it if she had bought a $50K vehicle and started showing those ugly reflections within three weeks of purchase.

As a next step I plan to find a reliable local detailer and go from there. On one hand I am like I should probably just live with it and don't make it worse but on the other I also wanted to get it fixed. IDK what I am gonna do at this point.

Sigh...another BS Service Center fail.
This really isn't a big deal, from the photos, at least. A detailer can fix the issue in a matter of a few minutes. Seriously.

DO order, and have installed, the PPF panels that are applied on the flair n front of the rear wheel wells. This area takes a lot of abuse from small road debris.