Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint problems - do these bother you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up the car yesterday. Overall very solid Austin build MYLR, without glaring panel gaps. There were a few paint imperfections that I would appreciate your input how you feel. I am attaching two pictures - one at the upper corner of rear bumper on the passenger side just below the taillight
- one just above the first one with small paint bubbles just above the taillight

I have heard about nonmatched white color on rear bumper and am hesitant to let the paint bubbles go as they are small. The other one, will see if the service center can go great job touching it up.

Appreciate all inputs.

Attachments

• 606ECD87-D614-4465-A27C-21101FD2A85D.jpeg
    606ECD87-D614-4465-A27C-21101FD2A85D.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 409
  • 2185DD6F-EAE0-496E-9F62-6A747CB0E38A.jpeg
    2185DD6F-EAE0-496E-9F62-6A747CB0E38A.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 313
I picked up the car yesterday. Overall very solid Austin build MYLR, without glaring panel gaps. There were a few paint imperfections that I would appreciate your input how you feel. I am attaching two pictures - one at the upper corner of rear bumper on the passenger side just below the taillight
- one just above the first one with small paint bubbles just above the taillight

I have heard about nonmatched white color on rear bumper and am hesitant to let the paint bubbles go as they are small. The other one, will see if the service center can go great job touching it up.

Appreciate all inputs.
I have a same problem like you had at the life gate. Tesla agreed to fix it and they will send the car to 3rd party body shop. However, every time the car is in the bodyshop, there are chance that it acquire new issues. I decided that I’m not going to fix it. It is very small. However, it is your car and it is up to you. IMO, I will get a rock chip eventually and this issue would be minor compare to that.

Mine is also Austin build and look it had same problem. The paint bubble seems to be below the clear coat.

• Helpful
Reactions: thetuk
1) the corner of the bumper got rubbed against something shortly after paint. likely during maneuvering during install. 2) definite clear coat bubbling. Both would bug me and both need to be replaced.

20+ years insurance estimating here.

• Informative
Reactions: vet757

Appreciate all inputs.
They're within spec...

But seriously..the first one is wrong..and it'll rust it looks like...the second one looks like that'll come off and be an issue later...which they will not fix later.
As someone said though, whenever it goes it, you risk them doing something else wrong..

Personally, I'd take it in..there were some imperfections I just lived with...and some big ones I didn't....these, in particular, just look like the they'll be a bigger issue down the line...it seems more than just cosmetic..

They both are not going to be any issues. They are simply from over spraying (2nd) and someone rubbed something when they assemble, which any type of white touch up paint will cover it and you will never notice unless you are actively remind yourself to look at it every time you approach your car.

I decided not to take it to body shop. They touched up the corner one and for the small clear coat bubbles, I decided not to do anything. I have heard stories about cars coming back from body shop looking worse. Hopefully I made the right decision and these two spots will not get worse overtime.

Reactions: zoomer0056