Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Problems: Red Model 3: need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi: I am Deborah K. and I have owned a red Model 3 for 2 years. I love my Tesla, except for the quality of the paint. When traveling to Raleigh, NC, I discovered a deep 4 inch scratch on the driver's side door. I could not find any footage on he flash of anyone vandalizing my car. The estimate to fix and repaint is $1500. Last week a rock flew up from the highway and "chipped" the paint off of my hood. I am very disappointed in the quality of the paint. Should I get the scratch and chip fixed, and then consider a wrap. Is there any other solution?

Hi: I am Deborah K. and I have owned a red Model 3 for 2 years. I love my Tesla, except for the quality of the paint. When traveling to Raleigh, NC, I discovered a deep 4 inch scratch on the driver's side door. I could not find any footage on he flash of anyone vandalizing my car. The estimate to fix and repaint is $1500. Last week a rock flew up from the highway and "chipped" the paint off of my hood. I am very disappointed in the quality of the paint. Should I get the scratch and chip fixed, and then consider a wrap. Is there any other solution?
Out of all cars I owned none ended up without a scratch. My Honda hood paint is basically destroyed after 6 years. So your issues do not seem be specific to Tesla. I put all front PPF on my Model 3 within 2 weeks from the purchase. 2+ years later it looks like new (literally like new). From now on I will install PPF on all my new cars, not just Teslas ... though there might be no new cars for me other than Tesla.

If it is $1500 to fix a scratch, it must be a really bad deep scratch over more than 1 panel. Scratches do not happened on their own because of bad paint. You might be able to "fix" the scratch by polishing and local paint application to make it look less noticeable optically.

If the hood is not destroyed completely yet, then certainly I recommend PPF.