Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Re-painted. Need some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish. But thank you.

to be honest, that’s my biggest dilemma. The build quality is fantastic other than two or three spots. Part of me says it’s crazy to have them repaint it for that. The other part of me says if they’re offering to why not? I guess I’m of the opinion that these places do it all the time and do it right and if not, I’ll deal with it. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Tough choice, for sure.

I had good luck with a Tesla-approved body shop when I got rear-ended a few months back. Paintwork is excellent, undetectable. As a side note, I attempted to repair a small chip in my hood with the Tesla chip repair kit. Fail. The repair is better than the chip but still very noticeable. The sad fact is even paint-protection film won't completely defend against rocks, as my lower front bumper proves. Chips are inevitable.

I was in a similar situation, 2 minor paint issues I debated whether to get fixed or not. Took it in to the SC and they said it was an easy fix and would take 3 days. Well.... the first attempt fixed the 2 original issues, but created 3 other issues that where worse than the first issues. Just really shoddy work by their body shop. Long story short, 3 weeks later and multiple rounds of fixing issues and creating new issues, I finally have my car back. And there are still minor paint issues but there is no way I am letting Tesla have a 5th attempt at fixing the issues (and this doesn't even include them driving my car 90 mph on the highway in the rain to a different body shop, incurring $20 in tolls, or taking my car through the automatic car wash next door to the SC). If I had to do it over again, I would have never taken it the first time.
This was also my experience. Two small spots that I thought could be buffed out. They got one and the other one took about 7 trips, two loaners, repainting followed by a new bumper skin and two different body shops and service centers. Never once did I receive the car back in better shape than I left it.

From screwing up my fenders, scratches in other parts of the bumper, scratching the plastic molding around the front wheel wells to them replacing the plastic and having it very poorly aligned nothing went right.

Sad as it is I should have just eaten their shitty QC and left it alone.

Whether it was the shops or being at Tesla between it was worse every time I received it back and I finally had to call it good.

Took delivery of my Tesla 2 weeks ago. The very small chips below the clearcoat. My car is blue.
Tesla is offering to repaint and correct. Any downside to doing this with regards to clearcoat, quality of job, etc?
They will use an authorized Tesla shop. Need to let them know so would appreciate any thoughts/advice.
I have owned a couple of Tesla’s that needed to be repainted while I owned them because I can’t tolerate even a small scratch. I have a great body shop that I use. In every case the panels painted by the body shop look much better than the factory painted panels. It will come down to how good the body shop is.

Update. I have two options. Repaint the vehicle at Tesla's expense or put the money towards PPF, which case I may have to kick in a few hundred dollars to cover extra areas. Seems like a no brainer to do the PPF. Anything I am missing?

I'm shocked that theyre willing to repaint it for you. My SC just put globs on touch up paint on, and sent me on my way...

As for risks of getting it repainted.. It will never look as good as it does rolling out of a robotically painted assembly line. However that said, there are some folks who can get it to that quality - but they're few and far between.. And it's all about who works on your car (not just the place of business).
So if it's not blended, or you get drips etc.. it may end up looking worse than before, and an added headache of complaining about the quality of work.

I say get some touch up paint, DIY it, and get PPF put on.

This was also my experience. Two small spots that I thought could be buffed out. They got one and the other one took about 7 trips, two loaners, repainting followed by a new bumper skin and two different body shops and service centers. Never once did I receive the car back in better shape than I left it.

From screwing up my fenders, scratches in other parts of the bumper, scratching the plastic molding around the front wheel wells to them replacing the plastic and having it very poorly aligned nothing went right.

Sad as it is I should have just eaten their shitty QC and left it alone.

Whether it was the shops or being at Tesla between it was worse every time I received it back and I finally had to call it good.This
This is concerning to me since I'm in the same position as you- found 2 minor scratches and a small ding in the rocker at delivery. Scheduled for service at Aurura SC and I'm worried about what they plan to do to fix them. In my opinion, both of the scratches could simply be buffed out and pdr could fix the tiny ding but I'm not sure if that's what they'll do. @RavenYZF-R6 Which Denver area SC did you take it to?

I took delivery of a MYLR about 2 years ago that had a scratch in the front bumper. They replaced the bumper with one that had an even worse scratch (which was even noted in my invoice at pickup), so they scheduled another bumper to put on. When they finally got the 3rd undamaged bumper on, they returned the car with both front wheel plastic trims scratched to hell. So then a 4th appointment was required to get those replaced. So 4 trips for something pretty minor to start with but at least it was a part they could bolt on. I'm way more concerned with them attempting to fix something like paint on the fender and trunk that won't just be replaced.

Pics of delivery imperfections for context:
IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4837 (1).jpg

This is concerning to me since I'm in the same position as you- found 2 minor scratches and a small ding in the rocker at delivery. Scheduled for service at Aurura SC and I'm worried about what they plan to do to fix them. In my opinion, both of the scratches could simply be buffed out and pdr could fix the tiny ding but I'm not sure if that's what they'll do. @RavenYZF-R6 Which Denver area SC did you take it to?

I took delivery of a MYLR about 2 years ago that had a scratch in the front bumper. They replaced the bumper with one that had an even worse scratch (which was even noted in my invoice at pickup), so they scheduled another bumper to put on. When they finally got the 3rd undamaged bumper on, they returned the car with both front wheel plastic trims scratched to hell. So then a 4th appointment was required to get those replaced. So 4 trips for something pretty minor to start with but at least it was a part they could bolt on. I'm way more concerned with them attempting to fix something like paint on the fender and trunk that won't just be replaced.

Pics of delivery imperfections for context:
View attachment 1001988View attachment 1001989
If you have ANY doubt about their process, or the quality of their work, why are you going back? 4 times for a bumper replacement? Seriously?

A reputable detail shop, or PDR shop, will fix your minor scratch issues. As for the dent in the rocker panel, since it's on a crease, I doubt it can be fixed, and in my opinion, isn't worth replacement/paint/etc. No one will see it, except you, sadly, every time you walk up to your car! ;)

Took delivery of my Tesla 2 weeks ago. The very small chips below the clearcoat. My car is blue.
Tesla is offering to repaint and correct. Any downside to doing this with regards to clearcoat, quality of job, etc?
They will use an authorized Tesla shop. Need to let them know so would appreciate any thoughts/advice.
If repainted, you will have twice as thick paint. Should be more durable. (extra weight should not reduce range much.lol)