Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Re-painted. Need some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Tesla 2 weeks ago. The very small chips below the clearcoat. My car is blue.
Tesla is offering to repaint and correct. Any downside to doing this with regards to clearcoat, quality of job, etc?
They will use an authorized Tesla shop. Need to let them know so would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

It all boils down to how good is the Tesla authorized body shop. I had my '23 repainted due to tech-induced damage and I'm happy with the results. However, unless your car is brought to the same body shop and the same tech does the repair, experience can vary.

Kniesel's Collision
Body Shop
6211 Power Inn Rd
Sacramento, CA 95824

Last edited:
Should be fine at an authorized Tesla Body shop. Unless they told you otherwise these kinds of due bills dont have an "expiration date" which means you can just drive for 6 months- 1 year and get it repainted later when you've inevitably picked up more rock chips from the winter months...

Reactions: heavync
Should be fine at an authorized Tesla Body shop. Unless they told you otherwise these kinds of due bills dont have an "expiration date" which means you can just drive for 6 months- 1 year and get it repainted later when you've inevitably picked up more rock chips from the winter months...
Tesla says they will fix now or never. Not something they will wait weeks on, etc.

I was in a similar situation, 2 minor paint issues I debated whether to get fixed or not. Took it in to the SC and they said it was an easy fix and would take 3 days. Well.... the first attempt fixed the 2 original issues, but created 3 other issues that where worse than the first issues. Just really shoddy work by their body shop. Long story short, 3 weeks later and multiple rounds of fixing issues and creating new issues, I finally have my car back. And there are still minor paint issues but there is no way I am letting Tesla have a 5th attempt at fixing the issues (and this doesn't even include them driving my car 90 mph on the highway in the rain to a different body shop, incurring $20 in tolls, or taking my car through the automatic car wash next door to the SC). If I had to do it over again, I would have never taken it the first time.

I was in a similar situation, 2 minor paint issues I debated whether to get fixed or not. Took it in to the SC and they said it was an easy fix and would take 3 days. Well.... the first attempt fixed the 2 original issues, but created 3 other issues that where worse than the first issues. Just really shoddy work by their body shop. Long story short, 3 weeks later and multiple rounds of fixing issues and creating new issues, I finally have my car back. And there are still minor paint issues but there is no way I am letting Tesla have a 5th attempt at fixing the issues (and this doesn't even include them driving my car 90 mph on the highway in the rain to a different body shop, incurring $20 in tolls, or taking my car through the automatic car wash next door to the SC). If I had to do it over again, I would have never taken it the first time.
Well I know the body shop they are using in town and they have a terrific reputation so I think (hope) some of those issues won't happen to me. We will see as I just authorized it. Thanks.

Re-paint is always a hi-risk gamble. How serious are the "various small chips below the clearcoat"?

Can you post photos?
They are small but obvious if that makes sense?

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpeg
    IMG_2172.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2173.jpeg
    IMG_2173.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 72
They are small but obvious if that makes sense?
Re-paint is always a hi-risk gamble. How serious are the "various small chips below the clearcoat"?

Can you post photos?
I guess I’m a little confused on it being a gamble. Shop is well known/reputable. My thought is if Tesla is will to repaint for these chips they will be reasonable if the paint job comes back subpar…maybe I’m wrong?

My car had a few chips like that after 6 months. I'd see if they would offer something else and not bother repainting. But that's just me. And I also realize that Tesla probably wouldn't based on reading here... so...
I had thought about that as well. Joked with the guy about giving me acceleration boost instead but never got a response. They are small but they are glaring…to me I guess?

I'd get it repainted.

I'm currently working to get some warranty work done that will require repainting of at least 3 doors and the rear hatch.

My Y, VIN 119xxx, was so poorly assembled. I didn't worry about it at first but after a few years, the rear doors not flush with the front has exposed the front edge of the doors to some serious sandblasting. The front passenger door, which Tesla already tried to realign once, also needs to be realigned again. The rear hatch (I've already posted about it) was misaligned from assembly, so they should fix that too.

I've learned the hard way the importance of ensuring good build quality before accepting delivery.

Give it a week and you'll never notice them
I wish. But thank you.
I'd get it repainted.

I'm currently working to get some warranty work done that will require repainting of at least 3 doors and the rear hatch.

My Y, VIN 119xxx, was so poorly assembled. I didn't worry about it at first but after a few years, the rear doors not flush with the front has exposed the front edge of the doors to some serious sandblasting. The front passenger door, which Tesla already tried to realign once, also needs to be realigned again. The rear hatch (I've already posted about it) was misaligned from assembly, so they should fix that too.

I've learned the hard way the importance of ensuring good build quality before accepting delivery.
to be honest, that’s my biggest dilemma. The build quality is fantastic other than two or three spots. Part of me says it’s crazy to have them repaint it for that. The other part of me says if they’re offering to why not? I guess I’m of the opinion that these places do it all the time and do it right and if not, I’ll deal with it. Thanks for all the help and advice.