Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film - opinion from those who’ve had it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, if a professional really did that I would ask them to try again. Is the installer authorized by the film manufacturer? If so you probably have some leverage. if not then lesson learned.

They are listed as a ‘silver’ level installer on 3M’s website, but the only one within 30 miles of where I work. Sucks if they can’t do better, but I think I’d rather them just remove it than leave on as is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dZHjeW7UsYeCRCHp7

Photos of my install. 3 feet away from the car.

MY PFF saved my car's paint when someone scraped my fender. Only cosmetic pff damaged and I replaced it for 300. I live in the SF bay area. If you want a recommendation msg me.

Yours looks great - would you mind sending a couple close up pics of what the edges are supposed to look like on a model 3?

Google has not been as helpful as I thought, or maybe my google skills just suck. I’d love to have something for reference when I go back up there Monday.

I had PPF and ceramic done for my M3 last week, picked it up yesterday. Ceramic looks amazing, but had question for those who have experience with it. This is the first time I’ve had it done to a vehicle, and just want to make sure my expectations aren’t too high. I assumed invisible meant you wouldn’t be able to tell it is on there even on close inspection, but on many of my panels the film stops about 2-3/16’s of an inch from the edge. I originally asked that the edges be wrapped, but when I picked up, the sales guy I had been communicating with explained that for some of the panels they would have to remove them to wrap them, which would add cost - and I wouldn’t want them to do that anyway, so it made sense. They did wrap they edges they could easily get to like hood and bottom edge of bumper and fender.

For those with experience, is this normal? There are a handful of bubbles, but my understanding is give those a few days and they will go away. There is one small bubble on the hood that appears to have something underneath it, so gonna keep an eye on that one.

There is also a 2/8” gap on each corner of the lower bumper where two pieces of film don’t quite meet. Again - is this normal? It’s off to the side, but this part of the paint is exposed.

You can only really see these things when close up, but my concern is overtime these edges will collect dirt and then be much more obvious.

Should I push back on the installer, or am I being too critical/picky?
From your pictures they did not try to wrap those edges. Mine are not gapped like that.

The front lip is ok to be two piece but that seem shouldn’t be visible.

The bottom bumper pic that looks quite bad for a professional installer. I installed my PPF full front by myself with a pre-cut Xpel kit and mine looks much better than that. I'm no professional..

Installing the film on the Model 3 bumper is a nightmare. Not sure how you can get it to fit properly without considerable stretching. Have any tips? The hood and fenders are not that difficult with patience.

Spoke with the installer this morning (or the sales/front desk, not the actual installer) - he was super cool and apologetic, not defensive at all, which was a relief. Asked for a few pictures of my concerns, which I sent - and he was going to reach out to their 3M rep, who is also an installer in a different market, for some advice on how to better apply. After speaking with him, this was the first Model 3 that they have done - they have done other Tesla's, just not M3's, and it is a bit tricky - which I could see - that bumper looks like a nightmare.

Good to hear they are going to do everything they can to make it right though.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Spoke with the installer this morning (or the sales/front desk, not the actual installer) - he was super cool and apologetic, not defensive at all, which was a relief. Asked for a few pictures of my concerns, which I sent - and he was going to reach out to their 3M rep, who is also an installer in a different market, for some advice on how to better apply. After speaking with him, this was the first Model 3 that they have done - they have done other Tesla's, just not M3's, and it is a bit tricky - which I could see - that bumper looks like a nightmare.

Good to hear they are going to do everything they can to make it right though.
Ok, I just have to say...you should have ensured you were not the first. That should have been a huge first question. “How many M3s have you done and how can I see the install?”

Ok, I just have to say...you should have ensured you were not the first. That should have been a huge first question. “How many M3s have you done and how can I see the install?”

I agree, but if I were going to have it done, which I wanted to do - then this was really the only option in my area. They have done a number of other high end cars (much higher end foreign cars than the M3) and are attached to an import dealership that sells very high end cars, so thought I was OK.

I phrased my post wrong - i did ask him up front if they had done a model 3 and they told me no, but they had done other Tesla’s. I really wanted it done, so took the risk of proceeding anyway. In my follow up conversation this morning he mentioned it as a reason his installer may have gotten the bumper application off.

Not a lot of Model 3’s where I’m at in North Carolina as well, so them never having done one wasnt surprising.

All my PPF has been wrapped around the edges one couldn't tell its even on.

That was what I had asked for, when i picked it up, he said they wrapped the edges they could like hood and underside edges (which they did) but couldn’t wrap some without taking panels off. I thought that sounded like BS (uh, Tesla leaves you like 1/4 between panels to tuck those edges, lmao), and that was kind of my expectation - that it would be virtually undetectable.

That was what I had asked for, when i picked it up, he said they wrapped the edges they could like hood and underside edges (which they did) but couldn’t wrap some without taking panels off. I thought that sounded like BS (uh, Tesla leaves you like 1/4 between panels to tuck those edges, lmao), and that was kind of my expectation - that it would be virtually undetectable.
Sorry you got a poor job hopefully they can make it right. Let us know what happens.