Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film (PPF) & Ceramic Coating

What EXTERIOR car protection are you going to get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you in the Cincinnati area, I highly recommend Clear Bra Ohio for your PPF and Ceramic Coating. Just got my Model Y back and was very impressed with the quality of install. Keith (Owner) has been doing PPF for over 20 years and is a pro. I got a full frontal PPF (Kit C - Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors, and Bumper) with Suntek Ultra and full car and also got the entire car coated with GTechNiq Crystal Serum Ultra (9 year) ceramic. Just picked it up today and it looks fantastic! Reach out to Keith and he will take care of you!
CincyYPPF.jpeg

For those of you in the Cincinnati area, I highly recommend Clear Bra Ohio for your PPF and Ceramic Coating. Just got my Model Y back and was very impressed with the quality of install. Keith (Owner) has been doing PPF for over 20 years and is a pro. I got a full frontal PPF (Kit C - Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors, and Bumper) with Suntek Ultra and full car and also got the entire car coated with GTechNiq Crystal Serum Ultra (9 year) ceramic. Just picked it up today and it looks fantastic! Reach out to Keith and he will take care of you!View attachment 534932

Very nice looking car there! Always love the blue in the bright sun :)

Reactions: CincyY
We use ClearGuard Alpha by Prestige Film Technologies (www.prestige-films.com). Their film reacts to only oxygen, which makes it so that you don't need to pour hot water over the film or bring out a heat gun to start the self-healing reaction to scratches. This film also self-heals in minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit, so that is quite impressive

Here is a video we did on a $3 million Pagani Huayra trying to scratch ClearGuard Alpha on this one off carbon:

I'll get some better pics later when the weather is nice but thought I'd share mine today, just had Suntek Ultra installed (Defense was used up front) on the whole car. Have to say I'm very impressed with this film, super clear and tons of shine, no orange peel, plus it has a hydrophobic top layer. Because of the hydrophobic properties already in the film I opted not to have a ceramic coat applied. Already spent enough ;) also had the windows tinted, 30 up front 70 in the back.

IMG_20200505_140942_MP.jpg

Reactions: teko
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and to those who have chosen XPEL to protect their Tesla!

To clear a couple of things up and add a couple of things.
- PPF and Ceramic Coating do not do the same things and thus are not competitive products. If you want true impact protection, then PPF (paint protection film) is the way to go. If you just want ease of maintenance and enhanced appearance, then ceramic coating is the way to go. If you want both, then do both. But **PPF first then ceramic coating. Do not put ceramic coating underneath PPF as it may interfere with adhesion in the long run.**

To learn more about this, check out the video below from YouTuber Engineering Explained (2.64m subscribers) as he does a deep dive on Ceramic Coatings and tells you the difference between PPF and Ceramic Coatings.

- Ceramic Film. This is a type of window tint that generally blocks heat (infrared heat to be more exact). For example, XPEL PRIME XR PLUS Window Tint blocks up to 98% of infrared heat (the heat you can feel) while blocking 99.9% of UVA and UVB cancer-causing rays. It's also backed by a lifetime transferable warranty and is available in shades from 5% (limo tint) to 70% (virtually clear and perfect for windshields and sunroofs/pano roofs).

- If anyone is looking for an XPEL Installer for either PPF, Ceramic Coating, or Window Tint, make sure that they are listed on the XPEL Dealer Locator as a Certified Installer. A list of installers in your area can be found HERE.

- If you're interested in PPF and want even more protection, we've recently announced ULTIMATE PLUS 10. This is a 10mil film and is 25% thicker and more durable than our standard ULTIMATE PLUS PPF. The beauty of this film is that it installs almost as easily as our regular thickness film and can be installed on the entire vehicle and not just the front bumper.

We hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out should you ever have any questions or need anything.

I’ve been back and forth with doing the whole car or just full front. I commute to work so a lot of highway and construction in the highway. Other thing is door dings with the weak paint and the amount of videos I’ve seen with folks car getting keyed
It's not just highway and construction. Paint damage can and will happen anywhere anytime while driving. PPF is must for anyone who cares about their paint - especially with subpar Tesla paint quality.

User PagodaY has scouted out Paint Protection Film — Always Clean Detailing Services in Fairlawn, NJ. They charge about $5k for a full wrap with Suntek ($6k for hand-cut), but it looks like they also offer Xpel. I'm looking into an Xpel shop in Darien, CT, Expert Paint Protection Film Installation — Darien Detail.

Hi Steve, have you looked into the Darien shop further? I'm picking up my Model Y next week and will have to see about getting the PPF wrap.

I'll get some better pics later when the weather is nice but thought I'd share mine today, just had Suntek Ultra installed (Defense was used up front) on the whole car. Have to say I'm very impressed with this film, super clear and tons of shine, no orange peel, plus it has a hydrophobic top layer. Because of the hydrophobic properties already in the film I opted not to have a ceramic coat applied. Already spent enough ;) also had the windows tinted, 30 up front 70 in the back.

View attachment 538984

finally did the tint this week. Really looks nice matching the front and back sides. I do think the top will really help with the heat. Other than maybe white seat belts I'm done pimping. (white, black, LR, 20", chrome delete, wrap console, PPL front, CC, personal plate-MYY)

Hi Steve, have you looked into the Darien shop further? I'm picking up my Model Y next week and will have to see about getting the PPF wrap.

I actually just spoke with the owner of Darien Detail yesterday to figure out what to do with my MY I am picking up next Friday. Very knowleadgable, pleasant gentleman with no feeling of pressure at all. I looked through his shop's reviews/IG page and saw some very nice work done (including before/after and videos... even of a $7million+ Ferrari GTO :eek:). He sent me an online estimate in ala carte form so I can pick and choose services and see what my cost will be. He has done many Teslas and a few MY's already.

I plan on getting a full Xpel PPF done (about $6k) - currently deciding whether to go with a ceramic coat using CQuartz Finest (includes meticulate paint repair/polish) for and extra $2k or just regular CQuartz professional (includes enhancing polish) for $1k. Difference being the extra labor put into the paint before application. If anyone can chime in on the benefits of one vs the other, please do.

As a bonus, they will pick up my car in a covered trailer at my house, transport it to the shop (about 45 min), and return it at no extra cost.

I actually just spoke with the owner of Darien Detail yesterday to figure out what to do with my MY I am picking up next Friday. Very knowleadgable, pleasant gentleman with no feeling of pressure at all. I looked through his shop's reviews/IG page and saw some very nice work done (including before/after and videos... even of a $7million+ Ferrari GTO :eek:). He sent me an online estimate in ala carte form so I can pick and choose services and see what my cost will be. He has done many Teslas and a few MY's already.

I plan on getting a full Xpel PPF done (about $6k) - currently deciding whether to go with a ceramic coat using CQuartz Finest (includes meticulate paint repair/polish) for and extra $2k or just regular CQuartz professional (includes enhancing polish) for $1k. Difference being the extra labor put into the paint before application. If anyone can chime in on the benefits of one vs the other, please do.

As a bonus, they will pick up my car in a covered trailer at my house, transport it to the shop (about 45 min), and return it at no extra cost.

That's a good deal I think, Tesla paint has imperfections, if your looking for the best application of the PPF should probably get the best paint repair/polish. But really depends on if you get lucky or not in the Tesla paint lottery. I would check it out first once you get the car then device. My paint was actually really good for a Tesla said my installer, only a few spots that really would have required some fixing, super minor though, talking a little nib here or there.

That's a good deal I think, Tesla paint has imperfections, if your looking for the best application of the PPF should probably get the best paint repair/polish. But really depends on if you get lucky or not in the Tesla paint lottery. I would check it out first once you get the car then device. My paint was actually really good for a Tesla said my installer, only a few spots that really would have required some fixing, super minor though, talking a little nib here or there.

Yeah, we are actually waiting a week before bringing it to the shop in case anything crops up with the Tesla that might require extensive service or, god-forbid, a vehicle return (plus it's within the 7-day return window - not that I'm going to be using it lol). This also gives us time to document any paint foobars that we might not initially notice in the excitement of picking up the Y.

I plan to to put paint protection film on my entire car. My reasoning is that paint is relatively soft and over time, grit and dirt can get embedded into the paint over time and I don't want to deal with that. In addition, washing a car with PPF is so much easier and I don't have to worry about scratching the car when I hand wash it. I plan to get the front bumper and maybe the mirrors done by a professional as doing a good job truly requires skill and experience. The rest of the panels I think I can do a decent job myself with a combination of bulk film or pre-cut kit with the edges extended so that seams are not visible. I will definitely use bulk film for the hood and probably pre-cut with extended edges for the doors as I am not comfortable with my ability to cut a clean line around the door handles. I'm not sure which approach I will use for the trunk and rear bumper yet. Maybe pre-cut for the bumper and bulk for the trunk.

As for ceramic coating, I will save a little money and buy Turtle wax's ceramic spray for under $20 that you can apply on your car after washing. I know it is not the same as the expensive stuff. But it is a nice compromise for me.

I will also get heat rejecting window film installed on all glass in my car.

I plan to get a black MY. So I am thinking about painting the brake calipers black too.

I received my Y last week (Pearl White). I can already tell it is going to be an issue as it came with paint defects and chips that my 3 did not. Also it appears the paint is very soft so will continue to get worse. My 3 with the no longer available Silver Metallic still looks great. So I will at least be PPF the front. As for ceramic I think I'm going to pass . I've been quite happy with the pseudo-ceramic products I've been using on my 3.