Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film (PPF) & Ceramic Coating

What EXTERIOR car protection are you going to get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Y currently getting done with Auto Armour. Ask for Austin. Best price in town and Yelp reviews are solid. They wrapped an exact Model Y like mines last week when I was dropping off my car, it was flawless.

If it was Monday or Tuesday, it may have been my Model Y (White/White PUP). I had it wrapped in XPEL Stealth and then ceramic coated and the front and rear "T" emblems chrome deleted.

• Love
Reactions: XPEL and DennyL
I'll get some better pics later when the weather is nice but thought I'd share mine today, just had Suntek Ultra installed (Defense was used up front) on the whole car. Have to say I'm very impressed with this film, super clear and tons of shine, no orange peel, plus it has a hydrophobic top layer. Because of the hydrophobic properties already in the film I opted not to have a ceramic coat applied. Already spent enough ;) also had the windows tinted, 30 up front 70 in the back.

View attachment 538984
nice

Yeah, we thought about just getting enough tint to block out heat/UV (70% I believe it's called) w/o darkening, since I'm not a fan of the dark window look, but we're holding off till later once we see how it is w/o it. So far the glass roof has been no issue, even in the minor heat wave we have occurring (at least according to my BF, who shaves his head, so if anyone would feel it he would!).

FYI they also do partial PPF - I just opted for full since this will be my primary car.

Oh, and the 'Nice Tesla!' and stares have already begun while tooling around town in the Y. Lots of smiles. =)
thks for all your updates.

Any Shops? Thks

We have quite a few qualified XPEL installers in New Jersey. We would suggest contacting 2-3 and going by their shop if possible and asking to see a sample of their work. Not only will you get to see their craftsmanship but also their customer support quality.

XPEL Installers In New Jersey

How does the ceramic coating fair against dust and dirt? We live in a semi-rural area and the Y is always dirty. we have read that you can just hose down the ceramic coating and "good as new". If this is the case, we need to do the whole car.

SnorkMaiden,

Ceramic Coatings do help keep dust and dirt off of the vehicle. Yes, you can also usually just hose off or get a leaf blower to clean and clear off the dust from a ceramic-coated car. That said, it can certainly still get dirty (any brand of coating) and require a wash. But you'll be amazed at the difference between living with a car that isn't coated and living with a car that is coated.

Hey all - just wanted to share a recent quote I got from a shop near me that's very well reviewed.

$4,195 including the following:

- Detailed wash and decontamination
- Wax
- Full car ceramic coating (Xpel Fusion) includes rims and glass
- Full front Xpel PPF. They remove the emblem and reinstall on top of PPF.
- Full front ceramic coating on top of PPF

He pointed out that he specifically likes to do the coating underneath the PPF because it makes removing the PPF much easier in the future if it ever gets damaged and needs to be replaced.

What do you think of the price?

Hey all - just wanted to share a recent quote I got from a shop near me that's very well reviewed.

- Wax

He pointed out that he specifically likes to do the coating underneath the PPF because it makes removing the PPF much easier in the future if it ever gets damaged and needs to be replaced.

This quote goes against everything I've ever heard in terms of compatibility. Wax...then ceramic? You don't wax over a ceramic typically, and definitely not under it. I have heard that ceramic under a PPF is a waste and can cause the product not to adhere.

Also the price seems high. I was quoted 1,500 to 1,800 for full front + 1000ish to ceramic everything. Wheels were a few hundred extra. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really like the quote. Just my opinion!!

This quote goes against everything I've ever heard in terms of compatibility. Wax...then ceramic? You don't wax over a ceramic typically, and definitely not under it. I have heard that ceramic under a PPF is a waste and can cause the product not to adhere.

Also the price seems high. I was quoted 1,500 to 1,800 for full front + 1000ish to ceramic everything. Wheels were a few hundred extra. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really like the quote. Just my opinion!!

That's why I posted - to get opinions so thank you! The price felt high to me too but I've never had PPF or ceramic done before. There's a chance I didn't hear him correctly and that wax was not part of it...I will double check though.

- Wax

wash, clay, cut & polish, ppf, ceramic coat. No need for wax or ceramic before ppf. And make sure they use ppf specific coatings. they should ceramic coat the whole car plus wheels windows not just front for that price.

Reactions: MorningRedEye
I did a front wrap on our M3 2.5 years ago. Bumper, hood, lights and mirrors. I did the ceramic coat on the rest of the car using CQ.UK 3.0. Today it looks fantastic. Two tiny chips on fender between hood and light on driver side.
Did the same for my MY. Just picked it up. Shout out to Koosha at Pinnacle. Highly recommend him if you are in the OC. He wrapped both cars. Also covered the plates in the door wells and the top of back bumper in the Y. (so many scratches happen there from dragging things out of the back).

Attachments

• 1DC9E000-0DC3-491B-A1BB-B5F984E90902.jpeg
    1DC9E000-0DC3-491B-A1BB-B5F984E90902.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 83