Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film (PPF) & Ceramic Coating

What EXTERIOR car protection are you going to get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my Y last week (Pearl White). I can already tell it is going to be an issue as it came with paint defects and chips that my 3 did not. Also it appears the paint is very soft so will continue to get worse. My 3 with the no longer available Silver Metallic still looks great. So I will at least be PPF the front. As for ceramic I think I'm going to pass . I've been quite happy with the pseudo-ceramic products I've been using on my 3.

Yeah, with these early models I sure they are still figuring out how to optimize the painting, deffinetly thick and thin spots paint wise. Not to knock anyone's choice but I am not sure why so many do a full PPF then ceramic on top.. the PPF comes with a 10 year warranty usually.. plus if you get a PPF like Sunteks it has a hydrophobic layer on top. I guess if you had another type of PPF that doesn't have that then maybe it makes sense but even then, the PPF is still protecting your paint better then any ceramic could... Just curious what people's thoughts were on why they would choose both?

Yeah, with these early models I sure they are still figuring out how to optimize the painting, deffinetly thick and thin spots paint wise. Not to knock anyone's choice but I am not sure why so many do a full PPF then ceramic on top.. the PPF comes with a 10 year warranty usually.. plus if you get a PPF like Sunteks it has a hydrophobic layer on top. I guess if you had another type of PPF that doesn't have that then maybe it makes sense but even then, the PPF is still protecting your paint better then any ceramic could... Just curious what people's thoughts were on why they would choose both?
My take on it is that the ceramic coating protects the PPF from water as well as chemical damage (think bird droppings).

My take on it is that the ceramic coating protects the PPF from water as well as chemical damage (think bird droppings).

So protecting your protection ;) I don't know, you could just get a new piece of PPF put on I guess if something really bad happened and probably still come out ahead saving money in the long run. I am OCD ill admit that.. but I guess there are some that are even more :)

So protecting your protection ;) I don't know, you could just get a new piece of PPF put on I guess if something really bad happened and probably still come out ahead saving money in the long run. I am OCD ill admit that.. but I guess there are some that are even more :)
That's true, but it's also about two things:
  1. Appearance. Ceramic coating is akin to a long-term wax.
  2. Hydrophobia. It repels water better than PPF, and that's important, given all the cameras and sensors.

I chatted with them by email a while back. Still planning on going with them once my car arrives.

I am picking up my MY Friday and will be stopping by their shop afterwards so the owner can take a look at the car and see how much paint correction might be needed to help determine the level of ceramic coat service I will choose (will be bringing it in for full PPF/ceramic after 1 week of having the Tesla to make sure nothing is wrong with the vehicle). I'll update on how they do. The owner is very pleasant and willing to fit the needs of the owner vs. pushing services.

Reactions: Electric Steve

I'm a bit OCD about my cars, so I figured the extra protection is worth it in the long run. I've also read that the paint Tesla uses tends to run 'soft,' and since I'm a fan of long road trips I'm all for doing both even if it is a bit pricey. Plus, if I do happen to sell it to trade up to a newer Tesla the added protection can be a selling point as the buyer won't have to do it themselves.

I am picking up my MY Friday and will be stopping by their shop afterwards so the owner can take a look at the car and see how much paint correction might be needed to help determine the level of ceramic coat service I will choose (will be bringing it in for full PPF/ceramic after 1 week of having the Tesla to make sure nothing is wrong with the vehicle). I'll update on how they do. The owner is very pleasant and willing to fit the needs of the owner vs. pushing services.

Sounds good. My own interaction by email was very positive.

My plan was to immediately bring the car to them to evaluate, then decide which defects Tesla should fix and which should be done as part of the wrap/coat. For example, I'd probably want Tesla to fix any panel gaps, but Darien to buff any scratches.

Please do update me, as I expect I'll be getting delivery in a matter of weeks now.

Reactions: Isakura
Go with Prestige Film Technologies' ClearGuard Alpha. This is their latest gen launched just last month. It outperforms the various films on the market and their self-healing tech is far better. Here is our scratch and self-healing test (watch in 4K) between ClearGuard Alpha and Suntek, Xpel, Stek. \

You can see if there is a ClearGuard Dealer near you here: Dealer Locator | Prestige

Sounds good. My own interaction by email was very positive.

My plan was to immediately bring the car to them to evaluate, then decide which defects Tesla should fix and which should be done as part of the wrap/coat. For example, I'd probably want Tesla to fix any panel gaps, but Darien to buff any scratches.

Please do update me, as I expect I'll be getting delivery in a matter of weeks now.

Picked up my Y today (yay!) and stopped by Darien Detail to meet the crew. The owner came out and spent a good 45 min with us going over the car, checking the panel gaps, etc, at no charge. In fact, he pointed out details that we missed when inspecting ours at the Tesla center. He was quite thorough and explained everything fully; very polite gentleman who definitely knows his stuff. He then brought us in for a tour of the shop where a man was in the process of putting on a wrap for another vehicle. He also showed us a Porsche that had just been finished and it looked ridiculously good.

I am going to have him do a full PPF wrap and CQuartz Finest ceramic coat in a week after we ensure the Y has no issues. He will be driving to my house with a trailer and picking up the car, then returning it to us in the same trailer at no extra cost. I highly recommend him.

Picked up my Y today (yay!) and stopped by Darien Detail to meet the crew. The owner came out and spent a good 45 min with us going over the car, checking the panel gaps, etc, at no charge. In fact, he pointed out details that we missed when inspecting ours at the Tesla center. He was quite thorough and explained everything fully; very polite gentleman who definitely knows his stuff. He then brought us in for a tour of the shop where a man was in the process of putting on a wrap for another vehicle. He also showed us a Porsche that had just been finished and it looked ridiculously good.

I am going to have him do a full PPF wrap and CQuartz Finest ceramic coat in a week after we ensure the Y has no issues. He will be driving to my house with a trailer and picking up the car, then returning it to us in the same trailer at no extra cost. I highly recommend him.
The trailer is a nice touch. Yeah, definitely going to give them a call once my Y comes in. Just a few weeks now.

What color is yours?

I was also looking at what they have besides the PPF and ceramic. They offer coatings for the windshield, interior, and tires. Of these, the only one that might interest me is the windshield, as much to help the front cameras as anything else. Still, that can wait until I've seen how well FSD works in the rain.

I've also given some thought to tinting, but I think I want to wait until I can drive the car around and see for myself. I had a bad experience with a super-dark factory tint on a rear window once, which was so strong that I couldn't see cars behind me at night, so I'm cautious about tints. Then again, it's not as if that tiny slit of a rear window on the Model Y has much visibility to lose.

So, I'm pretty much overthinking this while I wait for Fremont to build my car. I hope they don't screw it up too badly.

Reactions: Isakura
I was also looking at what they have besides the PPF and ceramic. They offer coatings for the windshield, interior, and tires. Of these, the only one that might interest me is the windshield, as much to help the front cameras as anything else. Still, that can wait until I've seen how well FSD works in the rain.

I've also given some thought to tinting, but I think I want to wait until I can drive the car around and see for myself. I had a bad experience with a super-dark factory tint on a rear window once, which was so strong that I couldn't see cars behind me at night, so I'm cautious about tints. Then again, it's not as if that tiny slit of a rear window on the Model Y has much visibility to lose.

So, I'm pretty much overthinking this while I wait for Fremont to build my car. I hope they don't screw it up too badly.

Yeah, we thought about just getting enough tint to block out heat/UV (70% I believe it's called) w/o darkening, since I'm not a fan of the dark window look, but we're holding off till later once we see how it is w/o it. So far the glass roof has been no issue, even in the minor heat wave we have occurring (at least according to my BF, who shaves his head, so if anyone would feel it he would!).

FYI they also do partial PPF - I just opted for full since this will be my primary car.

Oh, and the 'Nice Tesla!' and stares have already begun while tooling around town in the Y. Lots of smiles. =)

Yeah, we thought about just getting enough tint to block out heat/UV (70% I believe it's called) w/o darkening, since I'm not a fan of the dark window look, but we're holding off till later once we see how it is w/o it.
I just got 70% 3M Crystalline all around (everything except roof). Of course now it's cloudy and 72F :) Visibility during the day is excellent, haven't driven at night yet. I hate 'limo' tint in particular on front windows and windshield, 70% you wouldn't even notice from the outside unless you were looking for it.

Just got mine wrapped up this week :p

Anyways, Xpel Ultimate on the full front, a-pillars, mirrors and on rear bumper. Ceramic coated the rims and calipers. They also did the interior piano black trim, including the window controls and door handle areas.

It then went over to the window tint guy and they did 70 Suntek windshield and then 15 front/50 rear of Llumar IRX. I did not do the roof yet as I wanted to see how they hold up with tint. If it's not an issue after the summer then it will get some type of tint.
View attachment 533693
Where in Atlanta did you get the window tint? Same place as the wrap? Looks great!