Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film worth the money??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I never had the paint protection film before but looked into it for the Y

I was shocked at the cost of it they want between 1500-1800 to do the entire front And a few hundred less to do the partial.

Is that price in line? Is it worth that kind of money?

Thoughts?

That seems to be the going rates. Honestly it all depends on how OCD you are about scratches and chips. If they will bother you at all, PPF is an amazing product and will protect your car and keep it looking new. For me I am pretty OCD and have kids that run past it all the time in the garage with toys and what not so I got the whole car covered!

I bought a kit for the front for 300 on ebay and my local guy installed it for 500. Came out awesome

Tesla Model Y 2020 PreCut 3M PRO Series Paint Protection Film Clear Bra PPF Kit | eBay

I bought the same kit from the same seller.
I bought a kit for the front for 300 on ebay and my local guy installed it for 500. Came out awesome

Tesla Model Y 2020 PreCut 3M PRO Series Paint Protection Film Clear Bra PPF Kit | eBay
i just bought the same precut film from the same seller. So was it ok with fitment? I’m a little bit concerned with the pattern since the car is so new in the market. Thanks

I got my entire car done. I did the Stealth Xpel I had seen a few in the shop that I went to and I liked the look. I am pretty OCD about my cars too and I like not having to worry about where people touch it and how they close the doors I know my wife thinks I am crazy too. I drive a lot for work so it gets alot of use it isn't like the car just sits in the garage. I paid $4500 which include getting the paint prepped for the install, tinting the front windows and ceramic coating after the install. I am super happy with the results and the piece of mind it gives me.

97787150_10216306107620864_150496762153402368_n.jpg

which include getting the paint prepped for the install

This is the key to the PPF install. Yes, the pros have the big cutters that cut the material to each panel that is to be covered and the skills, but the real price is the all the prep work, sanding, the perfect finish ect. Once locked on the car paint will stay near perfect looking. Most PPF is self healing as well. Left in the sun, scratches will fade.

I got my entire car done. I did the Stealth Xpel I had seen a few in the shop that I went to and I liked the look. I am pretty OCD about my cars too and I like not having to worry about where people touch it and how they close the doors I know my wife thinks I am crazy too. I drive a lot for work so it gets alot of use it isn't like the car just sits in the garage. I paid $4500 which include getting the paint prepped for the install, tinting the front windows and ceramic coating after the install. I am super happy with the results and the piece of mind it gives me.

$4500 for the whole car is the best I've seen.

Very nice indeed

Hi all

I never had the paint protection film before but looked into it for the Y

I was shocked at the cost of it they want between 1500-1800 to do the entire front And a few hundred less to do the partial.

Is that price in line? Is it worth that kind of money?

Thoughts?
Hello,
Those are great prices. At the minimum do the front end, mirrors bumper. I did it.

After over 100k on my S. And 65k on my 3. I am so glad I did Full PPF on both. Our cars look just great. Can't say enough about @XPEL. Will put on a new piece for my front bumper at maybe 120k. With a design of a Tesla, I plan on keeping cars for a long time. If you find a great installer you will pay a little more. All depends on your use case if you value full or partial coverage.

For those who put tons of miles each year on and need cars to look presentable whether it be cross country or up to the country club(so cheesyo_O) it does the job.

Totally not worth it. You can get a new bumper installed from Tesla and it comes prepainted from the factory. I don't know how much the Y is but the 3 is around $900. This isn't a Ferrari.
Install it yourself and it's prob half that.

Or you can spend $900 on a sticker covering.

It's strange ppf is such a popular thing to do in California and it's mostly unheard of in the northeast where we have destroyed roads and winters.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Totally not worth it. You can get a new bumper installed from Tesla and it comes prepainted from the factory. I don't know how much the Y is but the 3 is around $900. This isn't a Ferrari.
Install it yourself and it's prob half that.

Or you can spend $900 on a sticker covering.

It's strange ppf is such a popular thing to do in California and it's mostly unheard of in the northeast where we have destroyed roads and winters.

It's not just the bumper that will get chips and dings. Your hood, headlights, mirrors and front fenders will suffer rock chips. If you're not OCD about it, then don't spend the money. But many owners are admitted OCD folks and want to keep their cars looking as new as possible. To each their own.
When I get my Y I'll be having the front end wrapped in PPF. All my cars that haven't had PPF (aka clear bra) have several rock chips on the hood and front fenders. Sure, you can get the hood repainted, but I've always found an aftermarket paint job is never as durable as the factory paint, so a repainted hood and fenders suffers even more rock chips in fewer miles than the original factory paint.

I have no doubt you will get less rock chips. The question is what it's worth. I have ppf on my bumper but I got it from invisibleshield.com and put it on myself. It was $155. First car I've put ppf on. Nobody here has it. I pretty much did it because all the forum stuff. It's crazy popular in California and I suspect most of this forum is from there.

Some people are paying 10k for whole car ppf. For that much you might be able to just sell your car every year and buy another. PPF installers must be driving lambos in California. They are charging people like $800 an hour sometimes.

Reactions: ajpt and vegas888