Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film worth the money??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One benefit I haven't seen listed is that with PPF (on my black Model S), the car always looks like it's just been washed. The shine is amazing, even when dirty. This is with SunTek, but it's the same for all PPFs. Also makes cleaning a breeze as well.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
sorry if this is a stupid questions but does the PPF and XPEL application mean one does not have to wax the car ever?. again I am new and just learning. Thanks for any feedback.

I don’t wax it. It’s been about two years. Car looks great, IMO. I do use ONR, Optimum No Rinse car wash.

And seasonally, I wipe on Ceramic Boost to have the rain drip off faster. That technically might be thought of as a wax. However, it’s wipe on, dry off simple.

Car Care, exterior and interior and PPF

Almost 3 years, haven't done ANYTHING to the PPF. The self healing in the sun has been great too. Again, it crazy expensive (IMHO), but having it protected AND looking so good even when it's dirty (did I mention it's black!) is great!

WRAP 1.jpeg
WRAP 2.jpeg
WRAP 3.jpeg
I just got back from a 1400 mile round trip in the Y and it was one less thing to worry about. Here some pics off my phone. First 2 are at the shop right after the last is another I had with the badge back on the front. I haven't gotten my new rear badge from Tesla yet suppose to be Tuesday. Also ton of bugs on the front and they come right off with out issue.

So here is what i am doing..i think the installer is giving me a fair price

Xpel ultimate full front plus rear bumper strip, Matt film on door handles
Xpel fusion plus ceramic on entire car
$2100

If i want to do partial on the fenders the price would go down to 1700 but nervous about seeing the line on the fenders though the hood is full

What’s the thoughts on xpel fusion plus ceramic? Decent ?

Hi Larry, I'm hoping to get my MY in the next few weeks. I live in Vero Beach, a small town, and we don't seem to have a good installer for PPF. If you were happy with your install would you please post who and where? If a reasonable distance from VB I'd make the drive.

Thanks.

I'm getting a PPF full wrap next week in Greenville, SC with Suntek Ultra on my white model Y for $3200 which is a phenomenal price based on other postings. I did a partial on my model 3 but decided to do a full since I plan to keep the Y much longer. The one thing I liked about the Suntek besides the lower price is the hydrophobic feature that reduces the need for a ceramic coating although some still get it done according to my installer. This film is 8 mil but they also sell a new 11 mil Ultra Defense which provides greater protection and is primarily recommended for high impact areas. I know that most people get Xpel and that's what I used on the model 3 but Suntek has very good reviews too.

PPF is totally worth the money only if you care about your paint's condition over time. If rock chips and light scuffs/scratches don't bug you, you can get away with it. If you want your car to look as new as possible 2,3,4,5,6+ yrs later whether it's for you personally or because you want to use that as a selling point later down the road, then it's worth it. Just because it's 5 or 10 years old, doesn't mean it has to LOOK that way ;).

If you find a dealer near you that has ClearGuard PPF, you can get a built in hydrophobic layer in the film (similar to ceramic coating). Not only would it protect the car from rock chips and scratches (where you have the film installed), but you'll also have water beading on those panels too, to make it easier to clean and stay clean.

Here's a Y we did recently with ClearGuard on the full front end. I also do a water beading test too if you want to watch.
~ 0:44 mark for the walkaround

I'm convinced that PPF is a good idea, and adding a ceramic coating on top makes the car look even better. I got an estimate of $7,500 to $9k for full PPF. I'm not sure it's worth it at that cost. So, I'm considering wrapping the front half with PPF and maybe adding ceramic coating on the full car. I'm still researching whether the finish of the car will look consistent with that combination. Wouldn't want the front half of the car looking different to the back, especially after a road trip or something. I'm imagining the car looking like it had been dipped in sometime o_O

I bit the bullet and paid for full PPF/ceramic w/paint correction. I'm OCD about the condition of my vehicles and since I'm outright purchasing this one AND plan on keeping it for a number of years, it's worth it to me. I also live in the Northeast with its plethora of salt, pebbles, potholes, seagulls and probably acid rain, so better to spend a bit now versus a lot more hassle later.

View attachment 550965 View attachment 550966 View attachment 550968 I just got back from a 1400 mile round trip in the Y and it was one less thing to worry about. Here some pics off my phone. First 2 are at the shop right after the last is another I had with the badge back on the front. I haven't gotten my new rear badge from Tesla yet suppose to be Tuesday. Also ton of bugs on the front and they come right off with out issue.

This looks amazing. If I could get all of that done for $4,500 in MN, I would probably do it. Unfortunately it looks like That'd be around $6k or $7k here.

My SC gave me a Black 2014 P85D as a loner while my car was in the shop, I had it for 13 days, got bored so I detailed it. I was surprised how good that car looked after being abused as a loaner. Yes there were scratches, nicks and gouges but I didn’t spend any time trying to address them. So that got me to think I’m 68 years old have purchased over 40 vehicles in my lift time to include 7 vettes that I obsessed over, I had so many trophies for winning car shows I had to throw them away when we moved and NONE of them had any PPF. In have used ZAINO for the last 22 years with great results.

So my 3 week old freshly detailed Y is sitting in my garage and while I have an estimate for $1900 to get xPel on the font, fenders mirrors lower doors and rockets and window tint I’m on the fence. Guess I’m going to have to make up my mind in the next few days. I’m retired and stretched the budegt to buy the Y so the thought of shelling out another $2K is troubling.

Reactions: DRTII and jetsurgn
So my 3 week old freshly detailed Y is sitting in my garage and while I have an estimate for $1900 to get xPel on the font, fenders mirrors lower doors and rockets and window tint I’m on the fence. Guess I’m going to have to make up my mind in the next few days. I’m retired and stretched the budegt to buy the Y so the thought of shelling out another $2K is troubling.

The Tesla Front is a rock/chip/bug magnet. The design is aerodynamic, but benefits from PPF. I never regretted it, and even my friends appreciate the look.

Reactions: DRTII
Does anybody here in NY have experience with PPF for a Model Y, or other models? Any recos on (relatively) local shops that do quality work. Delivery day for my Model Y is fast approaching and as it does my sense of needing to protect the car's exterior grows. TIA

How long does PPF last?
In the northeast with winter snow/slush/ice, does the PPF crack in the cold?
Would doing a PPF after 4 years make any sense to "refresh" the look for another 4 years?
I am doing a full car PPF wrap with Xpel Ultimate. Installer includes a 10 year warranty from peeling and what not. Does not cover re-wrapping a panel if it's damaged from a rock or other impact which is reasonable in my book, they'd be rewrapping cars every year otherwise. Some of the prices in this thread are insane! I got a full car wrap, full car ceramic coat and full car tint done for $5000 which considering in my past ICE life, I was one to add easily 10 grand in performance parts over the life of ownership this is a steal! :D

Reactions: Puma2020