Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film worth the money??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no doubt you will get less rock chips. The question is what it's worth. I have ppf on my bumper but I got it from invisibleshield.com and put it on myself. It was $155. First car I've put ppf on. Nobody here has it. I pretty much did it because all the forum stuff. It's crazy popular in California and I suspect most of this forum is from there.

Some people are paying 10k for whole car ppf. For that much you might be able to just sell your car every year and buy another. PPF installers must be driving lambos in California. They are charging people like $800 an hour sometimes.
To a certain extent, I see where you're getting at as I too reside here in CA and PPF especially the whole car ain't cheap. Most of the cost is due to the labor as it is labor intensive, paint prep and all. After deciding not to at least PPF the front of our MDX, five years later, rock chips are every where including the hood fender and bumper.

I've decided PPF the front of the Y (high impact) is sufficient as doing the whole car is no doubt overkill. Now if I'm that mechanically incline, I'll definitely do it myself.. ill stick with my day job.

Since we're all about protecting our assets, is plastic Saran wrap our TV remotes still and faze?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: beezy
Yeah, I draw the line at wrapping the whole car. I see plenty of people wrapping their cars to change the color too (matte for example), and I can't see myself doing that considering the cost.

But I'll wrap the full front, and I'll pay a shop to do a custom wrap because I hate the bad fitment of pre-cut kits. I have a car that has a pre-cut kit installed and the fitment is far worse than a custom wrap.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
I will say after washing my 2 year old BMW X3 today, it confirmed my purchase of doing it on the Tesla. Being that the BMW was a lease, I would not spending the money on PPF. Even my wife's 6 1/2 year old SUV that was did Xpel, looks better than all the rock chips that have hit the BMW.

I also wrapped the piano black interior parts as that stuff looks like garbage after awhile. The Xpel kit also included a screen cover which should help reduce finger prints and accidental scrapes.

I live in NY. A place here wanted $12,000 to ppf the 3. I walked out.

In 5 years I won't even have this car I will be on to the next upgraded Tesla 4xl air.

I don't even have a case or screen protector on my phone.

Lol, like the no case or screen protector comment. Would be interesting to see if their is any corelation there between people who don't get PPF and don't have a case ;)

I have no doubt you will get less rock chips. The question is what it's worth. I have ppf on my bumper but I got it from invisibleshield.com and put it on myself. It was $155. First car I've put ppf on. Nobody here has it. I pretty much did it because all the forum stuff. It's crazy popular in California and I suspect most of this forum is from there.

Some people are paying 10k for whole car ppf. For that much you might be able to just sell your car every year and buy another. PPF installers must be driving lambos in California. They are charging people like $800 an hour sometimes.

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I go to invisibleshield.com, all I see are screen protectors for phones and watches?

Yes invisiblemask sorry. My mistake. I remembered it was invisible something lol.

It's not that easy to put on you need two people and do it on a hot day because it stretches easier if you go that route. I also cheated and used a steamer but it was winter for me and freezing.

I paid $2400 for a full front end of Suntek Ultra & Cquartz Finest (Whole car & Wheels). That entailed full hood, full fenders, bumper, lights(headlights & fog) and mirrors. Plus a 2 step decon prior to PPF an ceramic.

Located in NJ, about 25 miles west of NYC so good amount of road traffic.

I clean both my cars bi-weekly, sometimes weekly, and would notice chips way too much.

I paid $2400 for a full front end of Suntek Ultra & Cquartz Finest (Whole car & Wheels). That entailed full hood, full fenders, bumper, lights(headlights & fog) and mirrors. Plus a 2 step decon prior to PPF an ceramic.

Located in NJ, about 25 miles west of NYC so good amount of road traffic.

I clean both my cars bi-weekly, sometimes weekly, and would notice chips way too much.

A two step decon? Like they washed and clay bar it? $2400 is a lot.

I commute to Manhattan 60 miles in

I got my entire car done. I did the Stealth Xpel I had seen a few in the shop that I went to and I liked the look. I am pretty OCD about my cars too and I like not having to worry about where people touch it and how they close the doors I know my wife thinks I am crazy too. I drive a lot for work so it gets alot of use it isn't like the car just sits in the garage. I paid $4500 which include getting the paint prepped for the install, tinting the front windows and ceramic coating after the install. I am super happy with the results and the piece of mind it gives me.

97787150_10216306107620864_150496762153402368_n.jpg
What kind of ceramic coating? CQuartz Finest, Process, or different brand? Finest carries quite a price premium over professional

So here is what i am doing..i think the installer is giving me a fair price

Xpel ultimate full front plus rear bumper strip, Matt film on door handles
Xpel fusion plus ceramic on entire car
$2100

If i want to do partial on the fenders the price would go down to 1700 but nervous about seeing the line on the fenders though the hood is full

What’s the thoughts on xpel fusion plus ceramic? Decent ?

I've had 3 cars with PPF. 2 were partial and one fully covered. Here is my experience: Don't believe the b.s. about self healing it still gets fine swirls. I PPF'd my Porsche with the intention of taking it thru automated car washes- the swirls do not come out even with a heat gun. In terms of rock protection, remember if a rock hits the front you still see an unsightly divit in the film. This is no different than seeing a paint chip. Yes you can certainly remove the entire panel and replace it. You have to absorb the cost of the replacement and hope the rock did not penetrate deep into the paint and then you have to repair that. On the other hand if you don't have PPF, you could always get the paint chip repaired. I have a Model Y on order and I am still on the fence if I should PPF the car or use the money elsewhere.

I got my entire car done. I did the Stealth Xpel I had seen a few in the shop that I went to and I liked the look. I am pretty OCD about my cars too and I like not having to worry about where people touch it and how they close the doors I know my wife thinks I am crazy too. I drive a lot for work so it gets alot of use it isn't like the car just sits in the garage. I paid $4500 which include getting the paint prepped for the install, tinting the front windows and ceramic coating after the install. I am super happy with the results and the piece of mind it gives me.

97787150_10216306107620864_150496762153402368_n.jpg
Do you have any more pictures? I pick up mine next week, also white, and am considering the xpel stealth wrap too.

My $.02. I've had PPF on two cars (Acura TL-06 and RDX-16) and I plan to do the front quarter of my MY. Houston has a lot of debris on the roads and with the Y's blunt front end, I feel I don't have a choice. I know if I don't get PPF on the front it will have pits in no time. Yes, the cost is a lot and it isn't perfect. It has gone up significantly over the years but I still feel it is worth it. I'm getting quotes between $1500 and $2000 for the front.

Reactions: Thp3