Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film Wrap Imperfections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a month since the full front installation of the Suntek film. The install left some yellow debris (think yellow cake crumb-like material_ underneath the film on the hood that's big enough to even keep air around it. I'll post pictures later. The rest of the hood seems fine, devoid of other major debris and air bubbles..

They will gladly redo the hood but told me the condition it's in right now is considered installation-perfect as you cannot avoid all debris. They cannot guarantee that replacing the film will be any better. What are y'all's thoughts and experiences with this disclaimer?

To add to this, they encouraged me to examine other vehicles with wrap and I will agree with their claims. Anyone have pictures of their hod installations with imperfections/flawlessness? Thanks in advance y'all

Uhm, I call BS on the installer.
Either their work space is dirty or they don't know what they are doing. I did full body wrap and my installer pointed out every little bubble (not debris and there were about a handful bubbles for the entire car) and he told me it would take about 7-10 days for each to work its way out, and if they don't he said he would take care of each one remaining. Most of the bubbles did end up disappearing after a few days and my installer got rid of a few as well.

That is what I would be looking for in an installer. Someone who takes their job seriously and owns every aspect of it.

It's been a month since the full front installation of the Suntek film. The install left some yellow debris (think yellow cake crumb-like material_ underneath the film on the hood that's big enough to even keep air around it. I'll post pictures later. The rest of the hood seems fine, devoid of other major debris and air bubbles..

They will gladly redo the hood but told me the condition it's in right now is considered installation-perfect as you cannot avoid all debris. They cannot guarantee that replacing the film will be any better. What are y'all's thoughts and experiences with this disclaimer?

I have paint protection film on my Volvo, and will probably get one on my Tesla, but there is no debris under the one I have today, and I completely disagree with the comment that you cannot avoid all debris. Auto painting companies have been doing this for years, and it is worse for them since they need to keep a clean space while the vehicle is drying, not just while it is being covered.

To me, this indicates that they probably did not have a "clean space" to do it in.

I definitely recommend checking around to get detailed backup if nothing else. Asking other SunTek certified dealers (something like "can you guarantee that there would not be debris under the file? how?") or even contacting the company itself. Also, watch their install videos to see if they say anything about it. (like "no one can guarantee that there will not be any debris under the plastic" or "to guarantee that there will not be any debris under the plastic, do x")

In some looking around:
Cleaning - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - comments about how to clean so it doesnt happen.
Pleasant Details FAQ's - a company that wraps that says in their FAQ/charistics of a poorly installed bra: "dust or dirt under the film"
clear bra install - perfection possible? - complaining about it not being perfect, but his complaints do not mention debris at all (and given what he mentions, I am sure that debris would be!)

Its also possible that what you are seeing IS normal, but it's so small that most other people would not see it as a problem. I am envisioning something that is clearly visible to someone looking at it, but if the debris is, say, under a part that is rolled under the edge, or so small that it needs a magnifying glass to see... then I guess it might be considered normal.

In any case, good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply y'all! I figured, I paid what others with suntek have quoted but this place has good reviews across the board. I'll hold them to much higher standards and worst case scenario I expected flawless application and if they cannot deliver that they should at least disclaim it before applying it so I can make an appropriate decision.

I have some questions for you:
1) What color is your car?
2) Can you post pictures of the debris?

An Install we just finished up on a black Tesla Model S we used Xpel Stealth on it to change the finish to Satin Black:

Auto Armour Inc - Timeline | Facebook
My company installs paint protection films (Suntek is one of our brands we carry) and we have done literally hundreds of Teslas in our facility; I, myself, have been in the industry working with automotive films for about 15 years now. With Suntek, you have a bit of time to pull up the film and get rid of debris without causing most of the lines or causing silvering in the film. Once I see the pictures of the debris I will tell you honestly what is considered normal. I am not here to talk bad about someone's work, but I am here to make sure that our market is being held to the standards that they should be and that the clients are being educated on what is considered normal or not.

Joel Allen

Reactions: 00poop6x
Here are the pictures as promised.

Joel, I truly would appreciate that. It is something I am trying to determine and would love to get feedback from those who have similar conditions if film or those who install it and find this acceptable. These are honest people and in no way do I feel that they are attempting to cheat me out of anything but I'd like to know what's right. IMG_20161109_180913-01.jpeg IMG_20161109_180857-01.jpeg

Clear bra is not a perfect technology. But this is not acceptable. There is a fine line between what is possible(in terms of aiming for perfection) and what someone that takes pride in their work considers a "deal breaker" for a piece of film. Those have deal-breaker written all over them.

Joel, I truly would appreciate that. It is something I am trying to determine and would love to get feedback from those who have similar conditions if film or those who install it and find this acceptable. These are honest people and in no way do I feel that they are attempting to cheat me out of anything but I'd like to know what's right. View attachment 201850 View attachment 201851

Clear bra is not a perfect technology. But this is not acceptable. There is a fine line between what is possible(in terms of aiming for perfection) and what someone that takes pride in their work considers a "deal breaker" for a piece of film. Those have deal-breaker written all over them.
Jean-Claude, thank you for being honest.
I would agree, those are not within "tolerance" and should be fixed. I definitely do not have anything like that on my full wrap (and my car is Solid Black, so this stuff would be clearly visible)

Joel, I truly would appreciate that. It is something I am trying to determine and would love to get feedback from those who have similar conditions if film or those who install it and find this acceptable. These are honest people and in no way do I feel that they are attempting to cheat me out of anything but I'd like to know what's right. View attachment 201850 View attachment 201851

How many of those do you have on the car? Just the hood, right? If that was at my shop, the car would not leave until it was fixed or replaced. As close to the edge as they are, there is no reason they should not have been able to pull up the film and clear the debris then reapply it with no issues. The tesla hoods are pretty easy, so there shouldn't be any stretching; which translates to no repercussions if they would have pulled up the film right away to fix it. If you were my customer, I would not be surprised if you came back to fix it... in fact, I would be ashamed if any of my competitors saw it before I fixed it.

Reactions: 00poop6x
Yes that is part of the hood. The second image is the top portion of the passenger side fender that meets the A pillar and hood. I'm working with the shop to get these issues fixed and will update this thread appropriately. Thank you all again for the valuable input.

I think some small bubbles due to trapped water are common. Most will go away after a few weeks in warm weather. If not they can use a syringe and prick them to release the water.

I had a defective film on my front bumper. It was noticeable from a certain angle. The installer (Appearance Solutions in Sacto) saw it immediately when I brought the car back for it's 'inspection' two weeks after install and just replaced it later. Other than that I cannot see any imperfections in any of my wraps. (xpel).