Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla is arriving in 4-6 weeks, and I've been talking to a detailer about getting paint protection. The quote I'm getting is around $5300 for the following:

1. Paint correction (is this definitely necessary?)
2. Xpel ultimate film
3. cquartz ceramic coating

I've seen a lot of videos / threads with people recommending getting paint protection, just want to make sure all of that is necessary and the price is reasonable.

...so what did you glean from searching this site and reading all of the thousands of posts on the subject???

Price varies by location, vendor, coverage, material/film used, etc.
Paint correction--depends if your car is perfect from the Fremont factory (most aren't, and you don't want to seal in any defects)
Coating--yes, if you want to avoid waxing or other protection, and make the finish easier to wash and care for.

YMMV.

Reactions: Bebop
...so what did you glean from searching this site and reading all of the thousands of posts on the subject???

YMMV.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the snark is -- no one is forcing you to respond. I went back about a month on the forum and didn't find any posts addressing specific price points for these services. I should have mentioned that I live in the bay area though.

The material has been mentioned: Xpel ultimate / cquartz ceramic.

Should also add that I've been talking to OCDetailing in Fremont in case anyone has any opinions on them.

Reactions: Rg3500
Sounds like a great price for all 3 to me! I only got full car PPF and it cost more then that!

Ive heard great things about OCDetailing when I was trying to decide who to wrap my car but I'm in So Cal so it was too far for me.

I also thought about paint correction and ceramic coating though in the end I skipped them and just went for full car Paint Protective Film using the 3m brand Scotch Guard Pro Product vs Xpel. Either way I definitely recommend the PPF at it will make your car easy to care for!! I just wipe my car down with some spray wax and a microfiber cloth and it looks like I just washed it!!

The color correction is just going to make the car look that much better from what I understand some colors demand paint correction first, in that same regard some PPF film brands look better on certain color cars, something I'm sure OCDetail has already considered before quoting you for Xpell. Sounds like he feels that combo would be best (color correction, Xpell, Cquartz)

Last edited:
Sounds like a great price for all 3 to me! I only got full car PPF and it cost more then that!

Ive heard great things about OCDetailing when I was trying to decide who to wrap my car but I'm in So Cal so it was too far for me.

I also thought about paint correction and ceramic coating though in the end I skipped them and just went for full car Paint Protective Film using the 3m brand Scotch Guard Pro Product vs Xpel. Either way I definitely recommend the PPF at it will make your car easy to care for!! I just wipe my car down with some spray wax and a microfiber cloth and it looks like I just washed it!!

The color correction is just going to make the car look that much better from what I understand some colors demand paint correction first, in that same regard some PPF films brand look better on certain color cars, something I'm sure OCDetail has already considered before quoting you for Xpell. Sounds like he feels that combo would be best (color correction, Xpell, Cquartz)

Thats great to hear that OCDetailing has a solid reputation. Good point about certain colors demanding paint correction first -- I'm getting the deep blue metallic.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Tech_Guy
I'm not sure what the purpose of the snark is -- no one is forcing you to respond. I went back about a month on the forum and didn't find any posts addressing specific price points for these services. I should have mentioned that I live in the bay area though.

Should also add that I've been talking to OCDetailing in Fremont in case anyone has any opinions on them.
I'd recommend getting another quote from Supreme Detailworks in San Jose. :)

I just put on XPEL, and so far am happy with it. I only did the front hood area, and small slivers around the wheels and rear doors where my kids feet might hit, but perhaps I will regret not doing full car. It was about $7K in my area (Boston) for the best reputed place to do the full car, and front hood was and small areas was only about $1,500. If I could have done all of what you are doing for $5,300, I might have considered. Good luck! Def worth doing something unless paint chips don't bother you!

In this industry we pride ourselves on the highest quality around. I will tell you first hand OC Detailing has an impeccable reputation for good reason. We definitely back the work they provide. Best of luck, we are here to answer any questions as well.

Respectfully,
Elite Team

My tesla is arriving in 4-6 weeks, and I've been talking to a detailer about getting paint protection. The quote I'm getting is around $5300 for the following:

2. Xpel ultimate film

I've seen a lot of videos / threads with people recommending getting paint protection, just want to make sure all of that is necessary and the price is reasonable.
Wrench604 would you be able to quickly go over what areas of your vehicle that will be covered, we specialize in paint protection and primarily uses xpel film. As far as the paint correction and cquartz goes we are in the same building as Elite Finish Detail and we will have someone give you all the necessary information you'll need to make an educated decision on all of that.

Reactions: EliteFinish
+1 for OC Detailing. They did my car over a year ago and it looks like brand new. I had them do the impact areas with XPEL, and the rest with cqartz finest. Just recently went back and had them do a complete chrome black-out. They did an impeccable job on it too. I got lots of other owners' good comments on my recent eclipse trip to Oregon. YMMV depending on the amount of paint correction needed, but figure on roughly $ 2500 for the cq and the front end wrap. Complete wrap is of course more. Chrome blackout was about 1800.

2. Xpel ultimate film

Wrench604,

Congratulations on the purchase of you new Model S. We appreciate you choosing XPEL to protect your car. To be able to answer your question correctly, how much film are you being quoted? We always recommend full front end protection for the Model S. The typical price for this is between $1895 - $2195. Paint correction can be a good idea as it will make your paint look great. As far as ceramic as goes, that is fine as well, just be sure to put it on top of the film.

This video can give you a good idea of the installation process on a Model S. Click here to watch.

As mentioned in the thread, Auto Armour does excellent work, so if your in the area give them a call.

In this industry we pride ourselves on the highest quality around. I will tell you first hand OC Detailing has an impeccable reputation for good reason. We definitely back the work they provide. Best of luck, we are here to answer any questions as well.

Respectfully,
Elite Team
I have a question or two
1) about a year ago I put Cquartz on my paint. Spent a lot of time preparing the surface and am quite happy with results. Now I want to know how to maintain its coverage. I THINK I add "Reload" - but am wondering how much prep I need to do before using that product. Same extreme level as when I first applied Cquartz (down to the alcohol wipe stage)- or will a good foam wash be sufficient?
2) If I just did an exhaustive prep for Reload, could/should I just add another layer of CQuartz? Can one layer be applied onto another?
3) Could/Should I apply Cquartz to my wheels, or try to avoid getting this on the metal?
4) Could/Should I apply Cquartz to my panoramic glass? Is another layer of protection going to do anything - like sun block or bird poop or sand pitting?

I've had two cars done there and the quality is first rate and they stand behind their work. Highly recommended! You might find a cheaper price, but I guarantee they won't come close on the workmanship compared to what Joe will deliver. When I had the first car done, I shopped around and tried to negotiate a lower price, but Joe walked me through his services and held firm on the price. I realized that the other quotes were not comparable and the results he delivered were worth what I paid. IMHO.

I agree with most of the posters. . . I know I paid "north shore" price in Chicago, but I went to the most reputable detailer in the metro area and paid 20% more than your quote for full wrap and cquartz. . .

Bottom line that's a great price.

Word of caution, confirm with xpel that the installer is certified. . .some horror stories of poor installations that track back to uncertified installers. . . As the snarky responder mentioned, there are many posts. . .

Welcome to the Tesla family. .. you are going to find that the car exceeds even your highest expectations. . . I still pinch myself and shake my head every time I drive it. . . 6 months and 5K miles in.

Mark

What's the quartz ceramic coating for??
Why would you need paint correction on a brand new car??
Just tell the delivery center not to wash the car if you're really paranoid.

Some will say wait a few week for film to let the paint fully cure before putting any coating on it.

I have a question or two
1) about a year ago I put Cquartz on my paint. Spent a lot of time preparing the surface and am quite happy with results. Now I want to know how to maintain its coverage. I THINK I add "Reload" - but am wondering how much prep I need to do before using that product. Same extreme level as when I first applied Cquartz (down to the alcohol wipe stage)- or will a good foam wash be sufficient?
2) If I just did an exhaustive prep for Reload, could/should I just add another layer of CQuartz? Can one layer be applied onto another?
3) Could/Should I apply Cquartz to my wheels, or try to avoid getting this on the metal?
4) Could/Should I apply Cquartz to my panoramic glass? Is another layer of protection going to do anything - like sun block or bird poop or sand pitting?

Great Questions,

1. We recommend keeping up with regular washing. Our clients use WashMist on a regular basis and keep a bottle in the vehicle to take care of any fallout/bird bombs that could possibly effect the coating in the long run. Watch this-> video <-when using Reload. this is the steps we take when applying it properly.

2. We recommend a proper decontamination and clay first. Then using Essence to again prep the surface of the vehicle for another layer of coating. Ensure all residue is cleaned off using a product like Eraser, You can then apply another coat of CQuartz.

3.We ABSOLUTELY recommend doing wheels and calipers. We have done more then 200 just Tesla's alone so far! Just be sure to do a heavy decontamination and thorough cleaning prior to applying a coating.

4. For glass we recommend a thorough cleaning and again using a Clay Pad for decontamination. Then you can use Essence to polish the glass and help remove water spots. After that clean the glass with an oil remover like Eraser. then apply Reload on the glass.

Let us know if you need any help.
Robert

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones