Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint quality of Midnight Cherry Red and Quicksilver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they are not available in the US yet, you will need to wait until they are for anyone to comment on that. Any reference to the paints internationally may not apply to vehicles in the US, since they will not be shipping vehicles painted in germany to the US to sell them here.

Upvote 0
They are here on some Teslas, I took photos of this one in Colorado Springs. I drive a Model Y, this however is a Model X unit (the only one on the ground)
IMG_2028.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpeg
    IMG_2027.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0
They are here on some Teslas, I took photos of this one in Colorado Springs. I drive a Model Y, this however is a Model X unit (the only one on the ground)
View attachment 937285

Look at your picture (which is a model X) and then look at a video of a model Y painted in midnight cherry red, and then see if you think these are the same paint color, even accounting for differences in lighting. I sure as heck dont, and also have not seen any actual reports of these colors being in the US yet.

Upvote 0
Look at your picture (which is a model X) and then look at a video of a model Y painted in midnight cherry red, and then see if you think these are the same paint color, even accounting for differences in lighting. I sure as heck dont, and also have not seen any actual reports of these colors being in the US yet.

Note, Tesla has three versions of red worldwide:

1) Multi-coat Red

2) Ultra Red

3) Midnight Cherry Red

#1 is the red of most all Teslas on the roads in the US currently. #2 is the new replacement for #1 that is very similar in certain lighting conditions in images. #3 is the one in your video and isn't (currently) a color available in the US. It's obviously a very different color but #1 & #2 are quite similar and early images on overcast days were nearly indistinguishable. The reality is the it's more of a metallic look with a subtly darker hue than the outgoing MC red.

Upvote 0

This looks like eggplant ‘purple’ to me.
Definitely ultra is the perfect mix imo.

Reactions: Daekwan
Upvote 0
Ah.. yep, the Model X the Tesla rep took me to must have been the new red for the S/X - the Ultra. I'm quite curious about the paint quality, rather, on the two Germany developed colors.. which have not quite arrived yet. Thanks for the clarification..
I've searched high and low for any information on this topic, there just isn't anything I can find yet!

Upvote 0
Ah.. yep, the Model X the Tesla rep took me to must have been the new red for the S/X - the Ultra. I'm quite curious about the paint quality, rather, on the two Germany developed colors.. which have not quite arrived yet. Thanks for the clarification..
I've searched high and low for any information on this topic, there just isn't anything I can find yet!
Giga Berlin was designed with the 'one of the worlds most advanced paint shops,' so it's expected they will offer paint/colors/quality that Fremont, Austin and Shanghai can't replicate (yet). There have been lots of discussions about it, here's one Tesla Giga Berlin launches Quicksilver, Midnight Cherry Red for Giga Berlin

Upvote 0
I actually say one of the new Cherry Reds here in Denmark at a Tesla center, and according to the staff the specific paint consist of 13 layers of paint, and are considerably thicker than the standard colors. It looks awesome, and look almost dark grey when not in the sun, and then changes color to red when light hits it. I actually thought it was grey when it was parked inside the store.

Upvote 0
..13 layers of paint, and are considerably thicker than the standard colors..
Hm, that does make sense. I sure hope the Abyss Blue Multicoat comes around as well..
thanks for the reminder
PS - here in Colorado, my first Tesla that didn't have any clear bra and chipped often and quite easily. I think my original post was regarding some of my frustration at how thin I found the paint next to any other car out here regardless of brand. Your reminder here about the extra layers and observation of how much thicker it seems brings a bit of comfort =)

Upvote 0
Hm, that does make sense. I sure hope the Abyss Blue Multicoat comes around as well..
thanks for the reminder
PS - here in Colorado, my first Tesla that didn't have any clear bra and chipped often and quite easily. I think my original post was regarding some of my frustration at how thin I found the paint next to any other car out here regardless of brand. Your reminder here about the extra layers and observation of how much thicker it seems brings a bit of comfort =)
I am actually receiving a white Model Y on Friday, purely because the white has a metallic layer, which makes it thicker than the black (according to the dealer). I must say, that I am not overly impressed with the paint quality, but dealer says it is a lot better on my car, since it comes from Giga Berlin - I will know more on Friday :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps post in the forum for Europe and see if any owners there have any opinions?

Upvote 0
thanks for the reminder

When / If it comes here, it may or may not be painted to those standards, so I wouldnt hold your breath on "giving you comfort" until the colors are here in the US, and its confirmed by someone that they are using a similar process as they do internationally. They may not do that.

Upvote 0

Reminds me of the RX-8 "Shinka" edition, though not as satisfyingly dark.

Upvote 0