Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready to pick up a new MYLR… but this “paint rash” immediately caught my eye. It’s below the clear coat. The QC manager at the delivery center thinks they can repaint it, and refinish it. Says it should look like new and that you can’t tell the difference…

But really.. should I accept that?
ED1D141E-92FE-40A7-AE2A-6E14CBA9FF36.jpeg

Do you need a car right now? If you pass on this, who knows when you will get a another MYLR at this point. They will fix/repaint that for sure, but yes it's definitely not a normal thing where you have to even see something like this on a new car, and having to even think about accepting or rejecting.
My MYLR came with dents, but my wife needed a car really bad at that time, so we accepted, then later we sent it in for service, and they fixed/painted everything. Looks perfect now.

Do you need a car right now? If you pass on this, who knows when you will get a another MYLR at this point. They will fix/repaint that for sure, but yes it's definitely not a normal thing where you have to even see something like this on a new car, and having to even think about accepting or rejecting.
My MYLR came with dents, but my wife needed a car really bad at that time, so we accepted, then later we sent it in for service, and they fixed/painted everything. Looks perfect now.
I think my fear is that the repainted job won’t match the original color/finish…

Do NOT accept.

They're lying to you. Tesla service centers do not paint cars, they'll send this to a certified body shop.

I dealt with a nightmare a year ago when my brand new MY was in and out of the show for over 5 months. One repair being a paint job that ultimately ruined my MY. There was a ton of overspray all over the lights and parts of the car that weren't painted. The drive side door handle was no longer flush with the car. They scratched other areas of the car in the process. The areas that were painted ended up bubbling up...I guess they didn't allow it to cure long enough. My recommendation, pass on the car and ask for another one. Honestly, most service centers do a rushed job and ruin other parts of your car in the process. I do not trust them and will not take delivery of a new MY unless it's perfect.

Do NOT accept.

They're lying to you. Tesla service centers do not paint cars, they'll send this to a certified body shop.

I dealt with a nightmare a year ago when my brand new MY was in and out of the show for over 5 months. One repair being a paint job that ultimately ruined my MY. There was a ton of overspray all over the lights and parts of the car that weren't painted. The drive side door handle was no longer flush with the car. They scratched other areas of the car in the process. The areas that were painted ended up bubbling up...I guess they didn't allow it to cure long enough. My recommendation, pass on the car and ask for another one. Honestly, most service centers do a rushed job and ruin other parts of your car in the process. I do not trust them and will not take delivery of a new MY unless it's perfect.
That is exactly the scenario I don’t want to be in!

While I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that this “state of the art” / process will come out perfect.. I have my doubts given the prep work that needs to be done; and the number of things that “could potentially” go wrong.

Has anyone seen an outcome that met/exceeded expectations involving a fix/repaint job?

It's been over 3 hours since you did the original post, did you decline the delivery or just accept it? Do you get a certain amount of time to decline?
I did not accept it “yet”.

I have two options. 1) they fix/repaint the issue, and I can reinspect again for delivery later in the week or 2) reject, and release the VIN; but wait for some not yet known period of time for the next car that matches the configuration.

While I am in no hurry, they keep telling me that the “order” itself is at risk of auto cancellation if we don’t have a VIN assign since my order date is from May 2021.

Tell the

I have two options. 1) they fix/repaint the issue, and I can reinspect again for delivery later in the week or 2) reject, and release the VIN; but wait for some not yet known period of time for the next car that matches the configuration.

While I am in no hurry, they keep telling me that the “order” itself is at risk of auto cancellation if we don’t have a VIN assign since my order date is from May 2021.
Tell them to repair it and you'll inspect it. There is no freaking way they're going to use a state-of-the-art paint show to fix that damage in a matter of days. First and foremost, the body shop would have to be available and they'd have to enter a queue. They're lying to you so you take delivery. Just reject and ask to be matched up with the next vehicle. But be very clear that you're not asking to be placed on a hold again. All they have to do is release that VIN and you'll get matched with another car very soon.

How much time do you actually get to accept or reject it? Was this an at home delivery so you get additional time?

How much time do you actually get to accept or reject it? Was this an at home delivery so you get additional time?
I was at the Irvine delivery/service center. So, I had the chance to inspect… I also asked them to open the vehicle, so, I never accepted delivery of it.

The thing that bothers me.. is the constant “threat” on the possibility of auto cancellation because it’s an older order. To me, that should not even come into play.

Getting ready to pick up a new MYLR… but this “paint rash” immediately caught my eye. It’s below the clear coat. The QC manager at the delivery center thinks they can repaint it, and refinish it. Says it should look like new and that you can’t tell the difference…

View attachment 756783
How about they fix it first and then you decide to accept it?
I am pretty sure they might be able to fix this area well, but I would have concerns about this entire car. Who knows what happened to it before/during paint process.

Also: I have a Honda that paint started to peel off after 4 years. It was repainted under a recall. Then, a few months later, the paint started to peel off in another area. And it was repainted again over another area under the same recall. So, paint is a tricky thing.

Last edited:
I was at the Irvine delivery/service center. So, I had the chance to inspect… I also asked them to open the vehicle, so, I never accepted delivery of it.

The thing that bothers me.. is the constant “threat” on the possibility of auto cancellation because it’s an older order. To me, that should not even come into play.
Sounds like you have a jerk for a SA. I've had my order since 4/9 and have not gotten any pushback from my SA. Then again, this is my second purchase with him. You should ask to speak to a manager and explain the situation. You're not asking for a hold, you're just rejecting a damaged vehicle.

My mylr had similar paint issues, in pa. So the paint job came out fantastic, you couldn’t even tell. Buuuut, before I picked it up the body shop detailed it… and it looked like they used sand paper on the clear coat. Tesla sa “couldn’t see it” I would personally reject. I’m also relatively ocd, though.

My mylr had similar paint issues, in pa. So the paint job came out fantastic, you couldn’t even tell. Buuuut, before I picked it up the body shop detailed it… and it looked like they used sand paper on the clear coat. Tesla sa “couldn’t see it” I would personally reject. I’m also relatively ocd, though.
What the..? You don't use sand paper in detailing unless you want to repaint.

View attachment 756783
One question. Where is this place on Model Y?

Reactions: jcanoe