Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Paint repair issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20200920_154423.jpg

My car 5 months old has been back to Heathrow 3 times for a paintwork issue. The above photo is rear o/s boot/wing. I have a very fine orange peel effect which appears to be in the clear coat. I am informed this is a form of 'sinking' of clear coat into the base colour. The issue now extends on rear door to boot. I have lost faith in Heathrow and their body shop and think it is time to put it in the hands of my lease company (Zenith). I have a Tesla approved body shop a mile from me. Does anyone have any advice?
Craig

View attachment 590886

My car 5 months old has been back to Heathrow 3 times for a paintwork issue. The above photo is rear o/s boot/wing. I have a very fine orange peel effect which appears to be in the clear coat. I am informed this is a form of 'sinking' of clear coat into the base colour. The issue now extends on rear door to boot. I have lost faith in Heathrow and their body shop and think it is time to put it in the hands of my lease company (Zenith). I have a Tesla approved body shop a mile from me. Does anyone have any advice?
Craig

Sorry, I don't have any advice... but I gotta say I'm almost glad i'm coming from a fiesta where I won't notice half these things. o_O

Reactions: ElRey
No advice on the Tesla, but when we fetched our Kona electric in 2018 the body was mostly “orange peel” below the waist. All panels were affected.

Once Hyundai had accepted the problem (“They’re all like that, sir.”) the car spent a week in a local independent body shop. They machine polished most of the body to remove the orange peel effect, and the result was different again. Having said that, I don’t know how much of the clear coat was left!

Again no advice on Tesla. As long as enough clearcoat (top layer) has been applied this should allow for it to be flattened (sanded) and then polished to the correct paint finish. A good bodyshop/ car painter would do this as a matter of course and is a standard part of the process. Your repair is substandard and should therefore be rectified by Tesla.

The orange peel effect is standard on Tesla. Any body respray will be done to match this effect. I don’t think Tesla Heathrow do their own repairs, they probably drive it a mile down the road to the approved repairer you mentioned.
No sorry I confused you the approved repairer is a mile down the road from where I am located. Heathrow SC take it to a repairer next door to them (not approved!)...and the Orange Peel doesn't match

Reactions: SR-Plus
If it was my car I would just let a detailer sort it and ceramic coat on the top. Doesn't need a body shop.

However if it were a lease I wouldn't bother, not worth the hassle and not my problem. Seriously only you will know it's there, ignore it.

If it was my car I would just let a detailer sort it and ceramic coat on the top. Doesn't need a body shop.

However if it were a lease I wouldn't bother, not worth the hassle and not my problem. Seriously only you will know it's there, ignore it.
Bit late but detailer won't polish the repair. He says he will be held responsible by Tesla if it goes wrong - and I don't blame him.

+1

Look at any Model 3 (probably other ones as well) and you’ll see similar on all colours. It definitely has a distinct look to it, and if that’s called “orange peel” then I’ve seen it on every Tesla I’ve looked at.

Maybe Gigafactory Berlin will be different.

Sounds like a lot of hope is being attached to Berlin, strange China isn't mentioned with the same hope.

Reactions: Zakalwe
In addition to above, Fremont has quite a bit of human intervention. Our glass problems were firmly blamed on the human side of one of the the production lines - the robots on the other one would apparently have made a better job, as did the humans at the Brooklands service centre.

Yeah all very interesting but my paint problem is from a crap repair it is not orange peel, the rest of my car has orange peel and it is still very shiny. The repair is mat the "orange peel" is more like a canvas pattern has been pressed into the paint....just thought I'd get my advice post back on track.

Reactions: Jonny Ringo
Correct its a "flat" finish caused by poor clearcoat application and lack of polishing. Have you taken it back? It should be a simple fix to any decent bodyshop and should not of been given back to you like that.
Thanks, I was struggling to describe hence the close up photo. I am waiting for the Winchester SC to be up and running as I believe they have their own body shop. On a side note I want to press for the free PPF on rear sills some owners are getting!