Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint scratch on rear bumper - options for repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister purchases a Tesla 3 and after just a few months, someone puts several deep scratches in her rear bumper while her car is parked. There's no evidence of who did it. There's no structural damage like stress dents to the bumper, but the scratch seems to go below the clear coat. My sister asked 2 Tesla approved shop and the actual Tesla and got a quote between $1800 to $2091. I am guessing that they are replacing the actual bumper cover rather than a repaint. Still, that amount seems a bit excessive. I don't know what the material and labor breakdown is. I am pretty sure bay area labor rates are probably on the high side.

What are her alternate options. The damage is only paint and is only on the bumper cover. The cover is plastic and I would think that this type of work could be done by any body shop as long as they could match the paint. Is there any reason why she couldn't just employ a regular body shop and just have them fix the paint scratches or are there sensitive sensors that will be damaged by spray painting?

Paul

I am looking at the quotes and is puzzled by it, I was under the impression that they were replacing the bumper, but I don't see the bumper cover in the material list.

* One quote had a quote of $2,091.36 with $348 of material and 19.6 hours of labor.
* Second quote had a quote of $2,306.45 with $330 of material and 23.2 hours of labor.

The quote seems a bit high in terms of labor if they are just replacing the bumper cover. Does the bumper cover only cost about $350? I find it odd that the prices are all over the place. It's probable that SF has a higher labor cost.

Talked with a "mobile" body shop. He quoted $900, but said that the entire bumper has to be painted. He provided example of his previous work on a Tesla.