TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Painting Lines on Ground for Backing Up

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by PianoAl, Jan 6, 2020.

1. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

When I retire, it'll be more like HTTP410 - "Gone", never to be seen again... LOL

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

The curving lives are good.

BUT what is missing is a fixed box on the display to show where the car is currently heading in reverse. I've driven other cars which overlay both the curving lines and the fixed box, and the combination of both is best.

No idea why Tesla doesn't ALSO overlay the fixed box.

3. KenC

KenC Active Member

Looks good, you backed in; but your original post and your last comment seems to suggest your wife backs out of the garage, then down the drive and makes a turn in the roadway? What happened to backing into garage and driving forward on the way out?

4. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

Sorry for the confusion.

When I return home, I back into the garage. When she returns home, she drives forward into the garage. So, any time she drives twice in a row, she had to back out and make the turn.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

I don't understand. The curved lines are where the car is headed. A fixed box would show you where you would be headed if you straightened out the wheel. Why do I care about that? I can see that by turning the wheel straight.

6. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

I've done my fair share of Sea and Anchor Details on the bridge and never knew of this.

• Like x 1
  7. KenC

KenC Active Member

So, my question is, do you think it's safer for her to learn to back into the garage like you, or for her to back down the driveway into the roadway to make her turn? And, if she prefers to back out, why not turn immediately, rather than backing into the roadway? You must turn right before entering your garage in order to back in right?

8. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

I think it's safer for her to drive forward into the garage. Backing in is more risky because in the driveway there's more margin for error.

The actual driveway is as seen below. None of that is roadway—we share part of the driveway with a neighbor. That is, she isn't backing into the public roadway.

Thanks for your help.

Path.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

We share one EVSE currently so we pull forward with one car and back in with the other to ensure the cable reaches.

10. V__2

V__2 Member

I was under the impression that you can put in reverse, adjust mirrors while auto tilted down and save your driver profile to always have it the way you want it?

11. Tron 3

Tron 3 Member

Backing in because the 10-30 plug is on the back wall. I put the car where I wanted it and with the camera on, I placed a 2' x 3/4 piece of wood on the floor behind the car and adjusted its position until it was just hidden by the bottom edge of the camera frame. I masked off the position with newspaper and masking tape and painted a 3/4 x 2' black line on the floor.

It happens that my neighbor's drive across the street has a control joint in his slab that is center of my parking spot. I just line up with that joint and back in until the black line is just out of the view. perfect every time. I find the camera is very accurate, and use it exclusively.