Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painting Lines on Ground for Backing Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I think the way Tesla does the rear view camera with the curving lines is the ideal way to show how you are doing. It doesn't take much practice to get used to them at all. At least it works very well for me.

The curving lives are good.

BUT what is missing is a fixed box on the display to show where the car is currently heading in reverse. I've driven other cars which overlay both the curving lines and the fixed box, and the combination of both is best.

No idea why Tesla doesn't ALSO overlay the fixed box.

Okay, here it is in action. I suggest you watch if fullscreen so you can see the lines clearly.

I'd like to set up something similar for my wife to back out of the garage and make a turn. Maybe hammer some markers into the gravel?
Looks good, you backed in; but your original post and your last comment seems to suggest your wife backs out of the garage, then down the drive and makes a turn in the roadway? What happened to backing into garage and driving forward on the way out?

Looks good, you backed in; but your original post and your last comment seems to suggest your wife backs out of the garage, then down the drive and makes a turn in the roadway? What happened to backing into garage and driving forward on the way out?

Sorry for the confusion.

When I return home, I back into the garage. When she returns home, she drives forward into the garage. So, any time she drives twice in a row, she had to back out and make the turn.

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC
The curving lives are good.

BUT what is missing is a fixed box on the display to show where the car is currently heading in reverse. I've driven other cars which overlay both the curving lines and the fixed box, and the combination of both is best.

No idea why Tesla doesn't ALSO overlay the fixed box.

I don't understand. The curved lines are where the car is headed. A fixed box would show you where you would be headed if you straightened out the wheel. Why do I care about that? I can see that by turning the wheel straight.

Sorry for the confusion.

When I return home, I back into the garage. When she returns home, she drives forward into the garage. So, any time she drives twice in a row, she had to back out and make the turn.
So, my question is, do you think it's safer for her to learn to back into the garage like you, or for her to back down the driveway into the roadway to make her turn? And, if she prefers to back out, why not turn immediately, rather than backing into the roadway? You must turn right before entering your garage in order to back in right?

So, my question is, do you think it's safer for her to learn to back into the garage like you, or for her to back down the driveway into the roadway to make her turn? And, if she prefers to back out, why not turn immediately, rather than backing into the roadway? You must turn right before entering your garage in order to back in right?

I think it's safer for her to drive forward into the garage. Backing in is more risky because in the driveway there's more margin for error.

The actual driveway is as seen below. None of that is roadway—we share part of the driveway with a neighbor. That is, she isn't backing into the public roadway.

Thanks for your help.

Path.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie and KenC
Has she tried turning off the auto-lower-mirrors "feature"? I had a terrible time backing up when I first got my model 3 because of that - visibility is, as you've noted, poor out the rear windshield and when the mirrors lower I can't really see back through them very well, either. I turned off auto-lowering and it's much easier for me.

I was under the impression that you can put in reverse, adjust mirrors while auto tilted down and save your driver profile to always have it the way you want it?

Backing in because the 10-30 plug is on the back wall. I put the car where I wanted it and with the camera on, I placed a 2' x 3/4 piece of wood on the floor behind the car and adjusted its position until it was just hidden by the bottom edge of the camera frame. I masked off the position with newspaper and masking tape and painted a 3/4 x 2' black line on the floor.

It happens that my neighbor's drive across the street has a control joint in his slab that is center of my parking spot. I just line up with that joint and back in until the black line is just out of the view. perfect every time. I find the camera is very accurate, and use it exclusively.

This works on cement. It’s just white duct tape, over a year old. When the white backup tape is just visible on the backup camera, I’m about 12 inches from the sawhorses.

I think the backup lines on the display are where the tires go so I leave some room on the edges when backing up.

I am hoping the white lines will allow the car to park itself centered between the lines....

View attachment 497657

View attachment 497658
Are you able auto park? I put white tape down as well and it will not auto park. Thoughts?

Since posting that, we made a change which makes backing into the garage a no-brain-necessary pleasure: We got rid of our other car.

Now that there's so much room, even my wife can back in.

CarInGarage.jpg

And, can you tell what this is?

20210320_113252.jpg

The blue cross is the target for the backup camera white lines. I missed a little bit because there were water drops on the backup camera lens.