Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel breaker make buzz sound while charging the Y with wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
Is because my panel breaker is too old and cant handle the new tech, as title mentioned my panel breaker make buzz sound while charging the car (wall connector) not loud but you can hear it.
I got 50a breaker with 6/3 wire so the max allowed is 40a. If I adjust to 25a the sound will almost go away but you can still hear it when you face over. also the breaker gets slight warm don't know if its normal. Should I replace my panel box?

Thank you

No, don't replace the panel. At most you should replace the main breaker for the box. You should probably hire an electrician to do that swap since its impossible to de-energize the incoming wires without pulling the meter(usually) and the conductors involved are frequently aluminum and by definition carrying a LOT of power.

It may not be worth changing the breaker for a buzzing, or you could flip it off and back on to see if the buzz clears up. I got my main breaker replaced because I could hear a sizzling instead of a buzzing occasionally.

Reactions: howardnj
No, don't replace the panel. At most you should replace the main breaker for the box. You should probably hire an electrician to do that swap since its impossible to de-energize the incoming wires without pulling the meter(usually) and the conductors involved are frequently aluminum and by definition carrying a LOT of power.

It may not be worth changing the breaker for a buzzing, or you could flip it off and back on to see if the buzz clears up. I got my main breaker replaced because I could hear a sizzling instead of a buzzing occasionally.
So did you fix the problem after replaced the main breaker?

Yes, the problem was solved. In retrospect I could have done the replacement myself because my meter isn't locked(security-tagged) in place, but I feel much better having had an electrician do it.
My electrican told me to replace the whole panel box for $1000 said it shouldnt have any sound and my panel is too old. how much did u pay for the main breaker replace?

If you have to replace the main breaker just replace the panel. The buss oxidizes over time and by the time your main goes bad it’s only a matter of time before the buss gets pitted, burned up, and you need to replace the panel. You also reduce the risk of fire.

However, it is possible the buzzing is being caused by the breaker for the individual circuit. In that case I would consider replacing the breaker.

If your panel is over 40 years old you should replace it.

I would charge at least $625.
Nowadays, that actually sounds not too unreasonable. Today with supply chain, inflation and time additives that EQ9685 breaker is at least $188, probably more like $250 or even $300 from a supply house. Adding an hour of travel/install time would be expected.

My price was probably lower because it was four years ago, we had ~no inflation, no supply chain issues, and my panel was four years more current. I also took the cover off the panel and gave the installer the model of the panel and breaker so they only had to visit once, and their home base is like three miles away from my home.

I agree with others, if the whole panel replacement is $1000 its a steal. The part cost is non-trivial, the permit might be pricey, and the time could be several hours.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t suggest paying for one $1000 panel change….

anyway, this is what follows “breakers buzzing”

57F69B78-10FB-444F-A55B-F0CCC060FEA0.jpeg

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
If you have to replace the main breaker just replace the panel. The buss oxidizes over time and by the time your main goes bad it’s only a matter of time before the buss gets pitted, burned up, and you need to replace the panel. You also reduce the risk of fire.

However, it is possible the buzzing is being caused by the breaker for the individual circuit. In that case I would consider replacing the breaker.

If your panel is over 40 years old you should replace it.
I had a 60a breaker but almost everyone said goes with 50a breaker since I have installed 6/3 wire.
both of them make noise while charging the car. you will only hear while your head over the panel. so I dont know if its a thing.