Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Wind Noise at Higher Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for delay ... I just recently got my car back from the service center and so far so good ... the noise from the pano roof appears to be completely gone! Let me share a few notes of what I learned from the service center ... which - given the circumstance - was overall a great experience so big kudos/thanks to the Tesla team! I continue to be impressed with them.

Hope this helps some of you others who may be having a similar issue!

Any chance you can post some pictures of what they put in (i.e., the bracket)? I isolated mine by putting Scotch tape on the front seal, and drove around last Saturday morning with the tape--which pretty much eliminated any noise (before forgetting I had it and opened the pano--hey, it's SoCal on a Saturday...). I can also increase the "noise" by pushing up slightly on the car.

I don't have pictures until tomorrow, but there is a notch in the weather stripping-looking seal towards the front where a flat metal "tab" on the front part of the Pano slides in, and I think that's where the issue is. I just haven't figured out a good solution. I just got back from the service center (got to drive a P85 for a week while they fixed a trunk alignment issue as well as a minor switch issue with the map light--which also had the same noise issue), and don't want to have to go back again, so if there is something I can do temporarily, that would be great.

Not that I "consciously" drive 80+ all the time. :wink:

Definitely wasn't going to start another pano thread, but requesting additional feedback from those w/ pano, mostly in reference to highway speed/CLOSED pano issues. Here's my tally so far:

1) Whistling/Wind Noise - my BMW & Honda have whistling; no matter how great the seals are, whistling occurs. But I have slide-screens on those to blunt the noise, not on MS (-1)
2) Rattling - some report extra pano rattles (aside from any other rattling gremlins that may occur in MS (-1)
3) Winter Draft - some report cold drafts and I do feel this sometimes in BMW/Honda in winter, unless screen closed, then it's not an issue; no screen available on MS (-1)
4) Summer Heat - most report it's not really an issue; blocks most heat/light (0)
5) 17" screen Glare - most report some decrease ability to see screen/need to adjust brightness (-1)
6) Ability to vent - great to be able to do this remotely in summer when parked outside, although I'll mainly be garage kept, still (+1)
7) The Awesome factor - looks great, like the auto-present pop-out door handles, and adds the "wow" factor (+1)
8) Wide-open feel - car is big enough inside, not sure how much this adds to "openness," but does let more light in (0 or +1)

Not sure your "cold wind" is due to pano, based on feedback I've seen on TMC. If it was pano, there would likely be unmistakable whistling. The cool air feeling I mentioned is more of subtle cool draft on head/shoulders that some have mentioned here. There are threads on the rear triangular window drafts and even drafts coming from the door - one owner even took the door and rear panels apart to insulate!

Last edited: