Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano sunroof leak?

trungsc156

Oct 9, 2018
San Jose
Recently purchased a used 2015 MS 70D with 60K miles. The car is longer under warranty. Washed the car this morning with it being parked nose down on an incline driveway. Got back into the car a bit later & noticed headliner stain on the "A" post, pic attached. Is it a possible leak in the pano sunroof seal? Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks.
Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.44.53 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.44.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.44.53 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

madtorque

Jan 14, 2018
Canada
My 2015 85D had the same issue. Ranger replaced the sliding glass and the problem was gone.
There is apparently a new revision of the glass that resolves this issue.

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
First check that the two drain holes are not plugged. Open the sunroof, at the front left and right you should see two holes; pour a glass of water into those to make sure they drain (service techs blow them out with compressed air).

If the drain holes are not plugged then I would guess a new sunroof seal is in order.

trungsc156

Oct 9, 2018
San Jose
Just poured a bottle of water down the driver side front drain hole. Seems to be draining well. Don't really want due to out of warranty but will have to schedule for SC to look at for a possible fix. Surprised there's not a DIY fix on YouTube video anywhere. Was able to fix two of my door handles myself after watching videos on YouTube. Oh well...

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
My 2015 85D had the same issue. Ranger replaced the sliding glass and the problem was gone.
There is apparently a new revision of the glass that resolves this issue.

New glass? wow. you think it would be cheaper to redesign a new seal. When my seal started to lift and look like it would soon leak I had them replace it. The replacement then leaked! They then replaced the replacement and this one seems to be fine. Personally I think the one the mobile unit first installed had been folded up and tied for a while in the service van and it probably distorted.

garrett5688

Oct 7, 2017
DFW
have a similar issue on my 2014, but above the passenger visor. not the first time.

i love the huge pano roof - i open it all the time... but i've been to the service center several times due to it leaking, rattling, not working... i hope the new ones are better. not sure i would get one again.

Sprandt23

Sep 13, 2017
St. Louis
Same issue here with my 2015 85D - leaking on the passenger side, above the visor and on both side columns. Taken it in to the SC three times for 'fix' and finally the last time they adjusted the closure settings/pressure for the pano roof. This seems to have done the trick, but also don't think I have had any real hard rains yet since then (this is/was the biggest culprit of the leaks on mine). I'm still under CPO warranty, so I was ok with taking it back several times - and they also steam cleaned the headliner for me where there were water spots.

trungsc156

Oct 9, 2018
San Jose
I ended up fixing it myself. Noticed that some areas around the pano roof rubber seal wasn’t quite right. Had to hand adjust the rubber seal while closing the roof so it can seat correctly. Now all is well.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC